1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by BLACKTEXASDOC, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Ronin_TX

Try checking your privacy settings because I couldn't send you a message either. I think messaging is enabled on my end.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    -Harder than my undergrad curriculum but easier than it was hyped up to be. Good program.
    -Both, but most people are more likely to be aiming for DO due to their undergraduate GPA. A perfect graduate GPA does not completely replace the uGPA, unfortunately.
    -Some were easy, some were unnecessarily difficult to slog through, and some were annoying. None were impossible (as shown by the substantial number of 4.0's), but required you to put in effort. Overall, the one word I'd choose to describe the courses/the program is fair. The results are all dependent on you.

4. mh0458

If there’s anyone still looking for housing I’m lookin for 3 roommates. My house is in south Arlington appx 15 min away from campus. Will only rent to TCOM med students or medsci students. Text 8172699520 for more details

5. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    I'd recommend being cautious about putting a personal number on a public, anonymous forum.

6. not_me1234

Pre-Podiatry
    how are my stats to get into this program? 3.4 cpga 3.1 spga 501 mcat. Thank you.
    ECs- 1000 hours clinical volunteering and working as an emt
    200 nonclinical volunterring

7. shelbybro

2+ Year Member

I think you should be a competitive applicant for this program. Your GPA is about average and your MCAT will most likely be below average compared to the class overall, but you can take the summer MCAT course that is provided by UNTHSC to improve your score. In fact, with your score they'll make it a requirement for you to enroll in the class, because last year when I was started the program the minimum cutoff for placing out of the MCAT course was a 506. I think they might have even increased that cutoff score now since it's only getting more competitive to get into med school every year.

8. not_me1234

Pre-Podiatry
    okay thank you; yeah I'm currently studying for the mcat but along that comes panic/anxiety attacks lol so I am just looking at every option

9. roygbivash

Pre-Medical
    This year the cutoff to not take the MCAT prep class is 508. But yeah you sound right in the range where a lot of us are.

shelbybro likes this.
  10. Ryan30

2+ Year Member

Your stats are around average but be sure to apply early. I know a couple people with a slightly higher GPA (around 3.6) and much higher MCAT (around 509-510) that were not accepted because they waited to apply until late January/February.

11. shelbybro

2+ Year Member

I applied super late in 2017. I believe it was the last week or maybe even day to submit the application, which was mainly due to me being unsure of how I wanted to spend my gap year following my undergrad graduation. My stats were nothing special (LizzyM ≈ 64-65) and I ended up receiving an acceptance when one of the later waves of emails were being sent out. So, from what I recall and based on my own experience, a late submission isn't gonna exactly doom your chances. Nevertheless, it's in your best interest to assume that the competition is increasing every year, so the earlier you submit your application is better.

Ryan30 likes this.
  12. maggracers

I'm planning on applying for this program for the upcoming cycle. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the timeline for applying to med schools would be if I got into the program? Would I have to take a gap year after the program before matriculation?

13. Ryan30

2+ Year Member

I’m a new student in this program. Submitted all primary applications in June and finished all secondaries first week of July. Others are submitting primaries and waiting to submit secondaries until after they take their mcat in August. Many students are waiting to submit their applications until after they graduate the program if GPA was their main setback. Really depends on how proactive you are and what your situation is.

14. Luke SKy

Does anyone know what the essay prompts are? I've searched everywhere and couldn't find anything thats recent.

15. medicalredhead

Pre-Medical
    From the AdComs when I applied last year:

"The supplemental essay questions in the application are asking specifically what your career goals are, what kinds of significant experiences you've had that have contributed to the development of your goals, what you expect to be the greatest challenge in your graduate study, and any other important information that you would like the committee to know.

There is also a section of the application where you can list your extracurricular/volunteer activities and relevant work experience in the healthcare field."

Luke SKy likes this.
  16. Luke SKy

Thanks,I plan on pre-writing these. By the way, is there a word limit?