UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by BLACKTEXASDOC, Oct 1, 2017.

1. NaomiM

NaomiM slowly going gray

Pre-Medical
    I also leaned more toward keeping my responses short. I'm sure most of them were around 400 words.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    Yeah. Just answer the questions honestly and tell your story.

4. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    Mine says "application" for status under "Grad/HSC Admissions" tab. However, when you go to the financial aid status it has a green circle which means complete. Plus, I have nothing on my "To do list". I just want to be part of the first wave of responses. Im sending in an extra LOR as well.

Aurarice and NaomiM like this.
  5. teamed

Do we need to answer the question "

Please include any information that you consider important to the committee in evaluating your application, e.g. obstacles, discrepancies in timeline, or other pertinent information not included in the application."

I feel like I covered everything in my essays and I don't have any discrepancies and I covered my obstacles in my essays.

6. reezy26

Pre-Dental
    You should still try to answer this question. Try to expand on something that you haven’t mentioned.

Aurarice likes this.
  7. EAPoetic

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if this program calculates gpa based on TMDSAS rules? Meaning no +/-

8. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    In my application, I used whatever GPA was listed on my transcript. (Includes +/-)

9. teamed

So I am about to submit the application and I saw this

s your parent or legal guardian married to a person who has been classified as a Texas resident by a Texas public institution or who has established and maintained domicile in Texas?

If yes, please provide supporting documentation such as employment verification, lease agreement, residential property title, marriage certificate, etc. for their spouse.

My mom and dad are both Texas residents.
    So do I need to prove this for the application. Can I just submit my mom's driver's license of something like that

10. EAPoetic

Pre-Medical
    I don't think that applies to you, since both of your parents are already Texas residents. I think that's saying if the spouse wasn't a resident, but now is, then documentation is required.

11. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    Submitted: 12/15/17
    Complete: 1/3/2018

Now we pray and wait...

12. Life_of_Pork

How can we see the date our application is marked complete? My submission date was mid-December, and that’s the only date I’m seeing.

13. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    Im not sure if there is a date however, I've been checking the application portal everyday to make sure my documents have been received. Today it changed to complete. Go to the UNT HSC portal then on the left hand side click on the "Application Status" tab. Towards the middle of the page it will say either, " This application is Complete" or "This application is Incomplete." If it is incomplete it is likely due to missing documents. This can be found under the, "My To Do" tab which is under the "Student Information" tab.

14. Life_of_Pork

Ah gotcha that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

15. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    Bump for visibility and to tack this on from the previous thread.

NaomiM and BLACKTEXASDOC like this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Dr.12345

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone been accepted yet?

18. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    No. If you submitted in December you might hear back on February at the earliest. However, most acceptances will be sent out in March. The admissions person on the phone told me that they will start reviewing applicants as early as next week. She also told me to not be too concerned if you don't hear back in February because it most likely means that they are holding onto your application for further review. The stellar applicants (those with really high stats) that applied early will hear back soon. Those that were good but not great will be held for further review until they know what the class will look like stats wise.

19. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    Im a little bored and its a little slow on here so I thought I should just pass on information that I have received from the admissions representative about the program. The MS in Medical Science admissions committee looks at:

Total GPA
    Last 60 hours
    Post bac GPA
    Science GPA
    DAT/MCAT score
    LOR
    Essays
    Resume

• They calculate GPA with grade replacement like osteopathic medical schools
    • Roughly 700-800 applicants applied last year for 230 spots. Class is expanding to 250 seats for this year
    • Average overall GPA: 3.4
    • Average DAT: 19 AA
    • Lowest GPA accepted last year: 2.85 but applicant had high MCAT score

20. jlund11

Pre-Dental
    My understanding is that osteopathic schools no longer do grade replacement and haven’t since last year? UNT states they still do anyways I guess?

21. EAPoetic

Pre-Medical
    I thought UNT never used grade replacement since applying to TCOM is done through TMDSAS?

22. bright_and_edgy

Medical Student
    Hi everyone - current medsci here. I remember how eagerly I was waiting to here back from medsci this time last year so I thought I would share with you that the Dr. Gwirtz and the admissions team has started reviewing applications this week (which she shared with our class this morning). However, don't be alarmed if you don't hear back until March/April. I myself was complete mid December and was in the second or third batch of acceptances early March. They sent out maybe 15 acceptance in end of February so definitely don't stress! Anyway, should you be accepted, this program is great way to spend a gap year and flies by extremely quickly. Best of luck!

Aurarice likes this.
  23. masribrah

Pre-Medical
    Just finished my application! Here’s to hoping we all get accepted :).

I’m a non-traditional applicant, having been in the workforce for 4 years. Below are my stats:

- BSc in chemical engineering
    - GPA 3.4
    - MCAT 26 (I think that’s a 502 on the new scale)
    - 3 LoRs from an academic professor, current supervisor at work, and a physician/mentor.
    - 1 year of undergrad research
    - Strong essays where I talked about my work in digital health consulting and my transition goals into a healthcare setting.

24. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    FYI, applications are going out. (So far there's ~40; check every week)
    Good luck everyone!

BLACKTEXASDOC likes this.
  25. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the update. Does this mean 40 applications have been reviewed and decisions were made? Or 40 people were accepted and those applicant's acceptance letters are being sent out?

#73 BLACKTEXASDOC, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  26. teamed

Would notifications happen every Friday, or can it be during any day of the week.

27. masribrah

Pre-Medical
    Do we get an email with the acceptance or do we have to check the UNT portal?

28. Ryan30

Hey guys!
    To any current or former MedSci students:
    Everything has been marked off my to do list aside from posting my mcat scores (I’ll receive those on 2/23). Assuming I submit that on 2/23 and my application is complete on 2/26 when would be the earliest I could hear back?

I’m assuming that may change on any given applicant but I’m pretty weird non trad applicant (TX resident) that played D1 basketball, became a registered dietitian, and then went back to finish my prereqs last year (sitting a little higher than 3.6 overall and pcbm with a 4.0 last 80 credits).

Just trying to figure out when (or if) I should start looking for housing out in FW.

29. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    Honestly, it'll be a crapshoot. I submitted mid-to-late March, and got my acceptance early April.
    Judging by your stats, why not just apply straight for medschool? With a decent MCAT, I think you'd probably be fine.

30. Ryan30

Thanks for the comment (and words of encouragement). My stats are below avg for TX matriculants (3.7) and I don’t want to waste my gap year. Would rather be productive and take first year med school courses while making connections than take another year of post bacc undergraduate courses that may or may not help me in the future.

31. popopopop

Medical Student
    What makes you think a 3.7 is below average? GPA is only one part of your app. Unless you need GPA repair, not sure if a master's is the correct route.

32. Ryan30

I was saying 3.7 is the avg for TX matriculants. My stats are on post before that.

Was only asking about when the MedSci program does acceptances with late feb applications but thanks for the comments though.

33. popopopop

Medical Student
    Ahh, I misread. Anyways, your GPA is still high and you will definitely get a head starts in classes if you do this SMP.

34. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    My job is wanting an answer one way or another within the next 3 weeks so they can better know when to hire or not to hire a replacement at all. I know for sure that I am in the first batch. This program could REALLY help me out big time. Any idea of how many applications have been submitted thus far?

35. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    So far, no idea. The only hard number I've gotten so far is that they're predicting 1500 applicants for 250 seats. Just gotta cross your fingers. Regardless, the orientation is in mid-to-late May, so why not just say you can work until May?

36. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    Texas likes their GPA, but you have a cGPA of 3.6 (Which is just barely below the average?). And the 4.0 with the last 80 hours will be looked at favorably.
    If anything, the only thing holding you back would be shadowing/clinical extracurriculars/volunteering. (I'd recommend weighing on a WAMC thread)
    *Assuming you do well on the MCAT

37. teamed

Does anyone know if the first round of acceptances were sent out yet since they made a decision on Friday?

dxcoco likes this.
  38. dxcoco

Pre-Medical
    Around what time of day should we be expecting this email? I'm checking about every 63 seconds or so. My nerves have me on edge.

teamed likes this.
  39. dxcoco

Pre-Medical
    My application is just a HUGE "if" application and I would REALLY love to get into this school. It's really my last chance at becoming a doctor (something I've wanted since I can remember). My stats are good except for my MCAT score and I NEED their MCAT program. It could really go either way. I would be honored to go to the school though. I visited UNTHSC 2 years ago and fell in love, I just had to go there. It's all in admission's hands now.

40. Aurarice

Pre-Medical
    Don't stress.
    Also, don't use the MCAT course as a crutch. I know some people who didn't have a jump in score. It all boils down to YOU putting in work.
    The biggest takeaway from the program isn't a 4.0 or a 520 (although it's the most important for medschools objectively) - it's fixing the study habits that made you have to apply to this program in the first place. Time management, studying techniques, getting enough food/sleep/exercise, etc.

dxcoco likes this.
  41. dxcoco

Pre-Medical
    Exactly what I am getting at. I know I need this program. I don't want a crutch per say. I want to be taken out of my comfort zone and to be able to truly do what I love. I've worked overtime and went to school full time while I was in college and while I studied for the MCAT. I need this program to help completely focus on just school. That will most likely be the hardest adjustment to make. I would also like to go to a school in Texas, because Louisiana schools are terrible.

42. HowSavage2017

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone heard anything?!?

dxcoco likes this.
  43. AggieFalcon22

Nope nothing yet

NaomiM likes this.
  44. Amygdala53

Pre-Medical
    anxiously waiting...

HowSavage17 likes this.
  45. Heclecia123

WAITING...

HowSavage17 likes this.
  46. amy903

Pre-Dental
    WAITING, but I applied Feb 6 so I know its gonna take awhile for me.

HowSavage17 likes this.
  47. dxcoco

Pre-Medical
    WAITING *forming peptic ulcers*

HowSavage17 and NaomiM like this.
  48. BLACKTEXASDOC

Pre-Dental
    WAITING...

I'm just come sittin' on the dock of the bay
    Watchin' the tide roll away
    I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay, wastin' time

- Otis Redding

(That's me in song form)

#96 BLACKTEXASDOC, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Amygdala53 likes this.
  49. dxcoco

Pre-Medical
    I just called the admissions office and they said I should be getting an email within a week. I applied in December. Fingers crossed.

50. texasbball

Pre-Medical
    Accepted!

NaomiM, dxcoco and Aurarice like this.
  51. Life_of_Pork

Accepted! Pretty thrilled! My app was submitted on 12/18. Best of luck to everyone!

52. HowSavage17

Accepted! SOOO HAPPY.