UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Acceptances are out. Submitted Jan 3rd, complete Jan 7th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!!! Yay :D. You’ll see my stats in an earlier post if you’re curious.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!
Feel free to post/DM questions on SDN or post on the Facebook page. (I'm not an OL, but I believe they should already be in the FB group for yall? @hotlikesause )

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So happy for all of you who were accepted today!! :happy: @texasbball and @HowSavage17 do you remember when your application was marked complete?

Also, are they sending out rejections already or do they hold onto everyone's application until the class is full?

Anyone know how much the cost of attendance is? I can't find their page where it lists the total cost of attendance.

Anyone know how much the cost of attendance is? I can't find their page where it lists the total cost of attendance.

If you click on the hyperlink "Office of financial Aid Website" in the email it'll take you to a page where you can see Cost of Attendance listed on the left hand side

(bring on the debt :bored:)

I can’t tell if I’m interpreting this right but without taking the mcat prep course this summer and only looking at tuition and fees the program seems incredibly cheap (like less than $12,000 for residents for the entire year).

If I submitted 1/6/18 but wasn’t complete until 2/8/18 (1 transcript got lost in the mail so I had to resend) when do you think I will hear back?

To current med Sci students: how do you guys move around from housing to campus/grocery stores? Is a car recommended? Or is walking/a bike reasonable around the area?

To current med Sci students: how do you guys move around from housing to campus/grocery stores? Is a car recommended? Or is walking/a bike reasonable around the area?

Generally, the apartments are a very short (~10 min) drive away from campus. There's a decent number of places to shop around, too. (Target, Aldi, Sam's, Costco, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc)
I wouldn't say biking to school is the best plan, especially in the winter. Plan to drive or carpool frequently.

Generally, the apartments are a very short (~10 min) drive away from campus. There's a decent number of places to shop around, too. (Target, Aldi, Sam's, Costco, Walmart, Trader Joe's, etc)
I wouldn't say biking to school is the best plan, especially in the winter. Plan to drive or carpool frequently.

Okay great, thank you for the info!

Another question to current students: how has your experience been so far...Loving it? Hating it? Neutral?

I live within walking distance of school and I think it is so worth it to not live down past the highway. I love that I can walk to school and get a little bit of exercise when I am spending most of my time sitting at a desk studying. I live also walking distance to Target and am willing to drive to central market for good produce as well! I have a car but I dont always use it because I live in a very convenient location a couple blocks north of West 7th.

I am absolutely loving it. I worked full time in the healthcare field between undergrad and this program and I really missed being able to learn and be in a classroom and learn things that I love learning about. I am very grateful for the opportunity to continue my education and improve my application because I know what it feels like to be working and not learning new things/moving forward. I also love the people in the program and how we all work together to succeed. There are about half the class that are over the age of 25 and about half under the age of 25 so it is very diverse and everyone is from different backgrounds. It is also a huge privilege to be able to take the same classes as first year TCOM students and to learn in the cadaver lab.

I like walking too! It sounds like a good idea to take my car and just walk when I feel like it. It’d be nice to live close enough to be able to walk to school since as you said, there’s a lot of sitting around lol! I love how diverse the student body is and how everyone looks out for each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live within walking distance of school and I think it is so worth it to not live down past the highway. I love that I can walk to school and get a little bit of exercise when I am spending most of my time sitting at a desk studying. I live also walking distance to Target and am willing to drive to central market for good produce as well! I have a car but I dont always use it because I live in a very convenient location a couple blocks north of West 7th.

I am absolutely loving it. I worked full time in the healthcare field between undergrad and this program and I really missed being able to learn and be in a classroom and learn things that I love learning about. I am very grateful for the opportunity to continue my education and improve my application because I know what it feels like to be working and not learning new things/moving forward. I also love the people in the program and how we all work together to succeed. There are about half the class that are over the age of 25 and about half under the age of 25 so it is very diverse and everyone is from different backgrounds. It is also a huge privilege to be able to take the same classes as first year TCOM students and to learn in the cadaver lab.

That’s great to hear! I’ll be a little older than your typical applicant as well (turning 28 in July), so I’m glad it’s a mix of different age groups.

Reactions: 2 users
I live within walking distance of school and I think it is so worth it to not live down past the highway. I love that I can walk to school and get a little bit of exercise when I am spending most of my time sitting at a desk studying. I live also walking distance to Target and am willing to drive to central market for good produce as well! I have a car but I dont always use it because I live in a very convenient location a couple blocks north of West 7th

Would you mind sharing the cost of rent around that area?

Yep, lots of non traditional applicants! and it's really fun getting to know people, what they've done in their lives, and how they ended up in the program!

I know that I'm like the 500th person to ask the personal "what are my chances question", but I just found out about this program and I think it could really help me so I'm just trying to assess how likely it is that I could be accepted. I'm thinking of applying for 2019-2020. My cGPA is a 2.83 now, but will be a bit higher by the time I graduate from undergrad. Science is 3.3 the way DO schools calculate (no math) and closer to a 2.8 the way TMDSAS calculates it (with math). BUT, my last 60 credits are like a 3.8 (and that will also be better by the time I apply). Haven't taken the MCAT yet, but judging by my practice MCATs I should be between a 510-520 (I paid out the nose for a KILLER prep program). I'll have great LORs, decent shadowing, great leadership, decent volunteer hours, fluent in Spanish, and have taken 2 medical missions to South America (with a medical school). I'm from the DFW area. Are the high MCAT and the good ECs going to be able to overcome my less than stellar cGPA?

The purpose of the program is to help people who have an area of weakness, usually with GPA for most people. I had a similar situation where my cGPA was on the low side with a 3.9 the last 60 hours. They pay attention to that. They accept people that they are confident they can help get into medical school. I'm sure you'd have a good shot albeit hard to say without an MCAT (they will make you take an MCAT course if you have a 505 or below) but if you're not applying until the next application year then you still have plenty of time to continue beefing up your hours and experiences!

Thanks for the quick response! I'll keep at it!

The purpose of the program is to help people who have an area of weakness, usually with GPA for most people. I had a similar situation where my cGPA was on the low side with a 3.9 the last 60 hours. They pay attention to that. They accept people that they are confident they can help get into medical school. I'm sure you'd have a good shot albeit hard to say without an MCAT (they will make you take an MCAT course if you have a 505 or below) but if you're not applying until the next application year then you still have plenty of time to continue beefing up your hours and experiences!

Is the MCAT prep provided any good? I’m thinking of starting studying from now. I feel like MCAT prep, biochemistry, biostats and application prep all at once will be a lot.

It's totally doable, I promise! Biostats is your only GPA class. Biochem is optional, its really only recommended for people who haven't had it in undergrad. This last year the Princeton Review won over Kaplan as our prep and people did well. I did not have to take it but my summer was almost too easy having only biostats. I prepped as much of my application as I could before orientation so that it would be less work. Honestly the more busy you are in the summer, the more prepared you will be to have good habits in the fall because those classes will come at you hard and fast and it will be good to already be used to it!
Ah okay this isn’t as bad as I thought then! Bio stats shouldn’t be too difficult with an engineering background, so it will mainly be MCAT and application prep. By the way, thanks so much for answering these questions for us.

Another question to current students: how has your experience been so far...Loving it? Hating it? Neutral?

Honestly, for me, I'd describe the difficulty of the program as harder than undergrad, but easier than expected, if that makes sense.
The professors aren't going out of their way to crash the class average (Most averages are 85%+), and the administration really tries to help students as much as they can. The environment as a whole is very supportive. It is what you make of it, but I'm loving it.

Would you mind sharing the cost of rent around that area?

I'm in a 2-bedroom apartment. Total is ~1200-1400/mo depending on water/electricity. Not reasonably walking distance, but ~10 minute drive.

I am waiting for both MCAT score release AND acceptance email. Sorry for dreaming!

Dreaming is good. Stay positive.

Is the MCAT prep provided any good? I’m thinking of starting studying from now. I feel like MCAT prep, biochemistry, biostats and application prep all at once will be a lot.

If you search, you can probably find my old post about my MCAT. I took the TPR course and it went up my 8 points, but I give more substantial credit to the fact that I worked much more efficiently this time around. The teachers under TPR are decent, but it's to your financial situation and discretion as to whether or not it's really worth it. If you're willing to put in the work, there's tons of resources. (See: reddit.com/r/mcat for some recommendations)
Biochemistry in the summer is optional, but I've heard mixed opinions about it. (If you've been out of school for a substantial amount of time, I've heard it's a good warmup to develop study habits)
No comment about biostats. Don't blow it off, though. Several people had a bad time because they underestimated and/or procrastinated during the summer.

On another note, the administration also offers a lot of resources to help you along with your med/dent/etc applications.

So can we expect the next round of acceptances around March 1st?
I don't believe the rolling admission has set dates for acceptances. Just check once a day for your sanity, and work on other aspects of your application in your free time.

Hey guys, I was recently accepted in the program as well. I wanted to make a groupme account with everyone accepted and those who are still in the process. I think it will be a great way to navigate around this process. Message me so i can add you.

Hey guys, I was recently accepted in the program as well. I wanted to make a groupme account with everyone accepted and those who are still in the process. I think it will be a great way to navigate around this process. Message me so i can add you.

In the interest of SDN anonymity, you'd be better off utilizing Facebook.

I just accepted the offer. Looking forward to meeting everyone in May.

Yay! congratulations everyone. I also got accepted and look forward to meeting everyone. Can someone add me to the groupme also!!

When do rejection notices go out? Do we know immediately or are we notified after acceptances? I applied in December and have not gotten an email and was told by admissions office I would know around this time, but still haven't heard anything.

Do we receive an email that we got accepted or do we have to check our application status online? Because for some reason my sign in info doesn't work at all and they did not send me an ID and PIN for the portal.

Do we receive an email that we got accepted or do we have to check our application status online? Because for some reason my sign in info doesn't work at all and they did not send me an ID and PIN for the portal.
They should send out an email.

However, you should also be able to sign into the portal (University of North Texas System) after you register your EUID or something along those lines.
Username should be xyz#### where x, y, and z are first letters of your first/middle/last name and the numbers are something random.

Accepted! Completed app 1/23 and recs were sent in on 2/7. Can't wait to meet everyone. Also, do we have to send in our decision before we get added to the Facebook Page?

Last edited:
Congratulations! What are y'all stats? Any pre-dentals here?

I was accepted but I'm still unsure whether I should choose to pursue this program or take a few summer science courses instead. MCAT is fine, and gpa is roughly 3.75. Also looking to apply this coming cycle. Anyone have any advice?
Your academics seem strong how is your leadership and volunteering?

I was accepted but I'm still unsure whether I should choose to pursue this program or take a few summer science courses instead. MCAT is fine, and gpa is roughly 3.75. Also looking to apply this coming cycle. Anyone have any advice?

What's your MCAT? Your GPA is competitive enough to apply directly to medical school. If the MCAT is the same, I'd advise you to just apply in May/June....unless you're a reapplicant and didn't get in anywhere the first cycle. If that's the case, and both MCAT/GPA are fine, then you have other weak areas in your application. If so, then this program isn't for you.

Sorry I'm trying not to reveal too much because its fairly easily to recognize my application otherwise, but I am a multiple year reapplicant. No IA's or major red flags. MCAT is 509-512. Areas that may need improvement are my essays, nonclinical volunteering, and interviews. I have 600+ hours of clinical and only 200ish for non clinical volunteering. Leadership is fine. I have been working in my gap years. Each year I have received interviews but land on waitlists usually.

An advisor recommended that I do something academic since it has been a few years, which is why I was deciding between this and some summer courses.

Please don't quote this post either.
Im not sure paying the money for this program would be worth it to get interview skills and essay help. I think you should consider doing a major service project maybe a nice mission trip or start volunteering 3 times a week at boys and girls club, or teach for America or advise Texas. This will give you new material for both your essays and interviews. Also look up interview material online i.e. youtube or some med forums and practice your interview skills. I would also suggest asking someone who is currently in medical school or maybe the health professions office of your undergrad to look at your essays. If you want to do something academic maybe take any pre req over that you need to and then also take your essays to the writing center and have them help you with your essay content.

Im not sure paying the money for this program would be worth it to get interview skills and essay help. I think you should consider doing a major service project maybe a nice mission trip or start volunteering 3 times a week at boys and girls club, or teach for America or advise Texas. This will give you new material for both your essays and interviews. Also look up interview material online i.e. youtube or some med forums and practice your interview skills. I would also suggest asking someone who is currently in medical school or maybe the health professions office of your undergrad to look at your essays. If you want to do something academic maybe take any pre req over that you need to and then also take your essays to the writing center and have them help you with your essay content.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look around and see what volunteer opportunities I can find. Not looking forward to writing new essays but guess I'll push through it

OMGGG SO HAPPPY!!! got accepted today! I haven't been added on the facebook yet but someone add me to the class Groupme please!

Thanks for the advice. I'll look around and see what volunteer opportunities I can find. Not looking forward to writing new essays but guess I'll push through it

Have you contacted the schools to which you have applied for a file review?
It may also be your school list. If you're applying too top-heavy, neglecting DO, etc.

Have you contacted the schools to which you have applied for a file review?
It may also be your school list. If you're applying too top-heavy, neglecting DO, etc.

Yes. I have one coming up soon. Hoping to get some solid feedback.

Just got accepted this morning!

Reactions: 2 users
When you log into myHSC, is your status supposed to change when my application has been reviewed?

I accepted the offer a few days ago. How do we get added to the Facebook group??

I accepted the offer a few days ago. How do we get added to the Facebook group??
There's a facebook group name in the email that was sent when you were accepted.

Did anybody applied here in Feb and received their acceptance/rejection yet? I haven't hear anything yet, so I'm wondering if they even started reviewing February applications.

Did anybody applied here in Feb and received their acceptance/rejection yet? I haven't hear anything yet, so I'm wondering if they even started reviewing February applications.
I submitted 1/5/18, complete 2/7/18, Accepted 2/20/18.

I am still waiting. No type of response yet.!

I submitted 1/5/18, complete 2/7/18, Accepted 2/20/18.
I submitted mine 2/6/2018, and it still does not say "complete". When I called them Jessica at the main desk told me my application is completed, but I'm not sure why it does not say it on their website.

Applied 12/16/17; Still waiting...

Reactions: 3 users