UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!! Submitted 2/16, recs received 3/1. LizzyM 64-68

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am currently in medsci and I chose to apply after finishing the program. I regret this and I wish I had applied at the beginning even though I came in with a low undergrad GPA. I have seen so many of my classmates get accepted with similar stats and they have been able to relax and stop stressing about grades while I have to keep working and finish strong. After graduation, I will have to spend another year waiting while I could have been in med school.

Would you say that these classmates got accepted with the help having a good MCAT score before even being in MedSci?
Or is it that many of them took advantage of the MCAT prep provided by UNTHSC and used their August MCAT just fine to get accepted. (Even though August is pretty late in the cycle). Just trying to gauge how favorably an August MCAT will be looked at if it is significantly high (especially for students in MedSci that are attending the prep course like I will).

And regarding your post, good luck with graduating and doing well! One year will feel like a drop in the bucket compared to our possibly 80/90+ years of life! Just trying to see the bright side :)

Just trying to gauge how favorably an August MCAT will be looked at if it is significantly high (especially for students in MedSci that are attending the prep course like I will).

If you do very well on the MCAT, I struggle to see any way that it would impact you negatively.
Rock the MCAT, do well on the first handful of grades from the program that medical schools will get in an update (i.e. Biostats and Biochem), and hope for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im a predent student. I applied 4 days before the app deadline. My DAT score is only 16. My gpa is 3.52. One of my LORs came from a phd student that supervises me in research. Do i even have a chance?...

Does anyone know how many seats are left?
MCAT 497
GPA 3.5
Good Letters of Rec and Experience
Submitted 02/27
Not sure of what my chances are honestly.

Hope so, i'm in the same boat applied hours before the deadline with a 3.5 gpa and 507 mcat. As for the rec letter i'm not really sure how that's viewed, both of mine came from members of my HPAC committee, still haven't gone through the mock process and got the committee letter, but planning on doing so for this coming cycle.
Don't forget that these are rolling admissions, and they will view apps in the order they're received. Don't lose hope! there is still so much time left to find out! Just hang tight, I have so many friends in the program that applied later and got their acceptance in late April.

Reactions: 1 user
I was under the impression that the class size was 250? If you look up the facebook group it only has 93 members including a few faculty

I believe they are trying to expand the class size; however, I don't think there's a set number, but I do recall talk of around 225 to 250. Keep in mind that some people don't have Facebook or have yet to make a decision regarding the offer of acceptance (of which they have 14 days). The number that I heard three to four weeks ago was around 75 students have accepted the offer of admission; however, more acceptances have been sent out than that.

Rejected. My DAT score probably sunk me. The good news is that I plan to work only part time to boost my DAT and apply for dental school in May. Im obviously disappointed but in many ways relieved. Its been an honor getting to hear about everyone's journey. I pray that those that have been accepted would maximize this wonderful opportunity. God bless you all! Im signing off until next time. :)
if you dont mind me asking, what are your stats? my DAT is only a 16 and my GPA is only 3.52 and the school keeps telling me that i shouldnt worry but I had many rejection experiences where these schools would tell me my stats are fine so that I would spend money on applying and then reject me because of my stats... I really hope UNT is different...

I believe they are trying to expand the class size; however, I don't think there's a set number, but I do recall talk of around 225 to 250. Keep in mind that some people don't have Facebook or have yet to make a decision regarding the offer of acceptance (of which they have 14 days). The number that I heard three to four weeks ago was around 75 students have accepted the offer of admission; however, more acceptances have been sent out than that.
Very true...didn't think of that!

Just got accepted! No email yet, though.
Stats: GPA 3.61
MCAT 504
Submitted 2/15
Completed 2/28
Accepted 3/26

Just got accepted today
Submitted 2/23
Completed 3/1

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the curriculum isn't anything that difficult and have a friend who is working and in the program who has a 3.7.
Different folks different strokes.
4.0 here, not working but plenty of extracurricular stuff on my own time. I stand by my statement that the program is "harder than undergrad, easier than expected". Good time management will probably get you through everything just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if that came off as douchey i've heard some say its actually easier and some say its more difficult, usually varies by where they went for undergrad, so figured i'd ask.
No worries! I completely understand. I can say that I was NOT a bio or engineering major, if that helps? ;)

That does, i was a bio major. Came from a state with the worst public school system in the country so it took me a while to get up to speed, especially at one of the more difficult TX schools, but once i did i posted nothing but 4.0's my last 2 years even with 2 surgeries during my junior and senior year.
Good to hear! If you study hard and don't procrastinate, I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck :)

Does anyone know what the cutoff score is to have to have the MCAT prep course?

I'm fairly certain you can opt in.
It's just that there's a minimum cutoff to opt out.
@Rusrus and @hotlikesause can probably be of assistance here.

I think the cutoff is 505; however, this changes depending on the average MCAT scores of matriculants from the previous cycle.

According to what the OLs posted in the FB page, it's 508.

Reactions: 3 users
How'd they come up with that when half the spots aren't even filled? Please post a screenshot.

upload_2018-3-28_0-3-33.png

In other words, MedSci is not maximum 250 students.
It is the combined MedSci, Clinical Research Management program AND Biotech Program that is 250 students!!!
And there is currently like 105 students in the class excluding orientation leaders and admins.
upload_2018-3-28_22-50-45.png

Last edited:
In other words, MedSci is not maximum 250 students.
It is the combined MedSci, Clinical Research Management program AND Biotech Program that is 250 students!!!
And there is currently like 105 students in the class excluding orientation leaders and admins.

View attachment 231238

That said, I believe the current cohort has only 2-3 CRM/Biotech students.

I was accepted into the first batch but I'll be giving up my spot today. I hope one of you gets it, I wish you all luck in your endeavors!

Has anyone heard from the Texas Tech MedSci program or know if there is a similar thread for it?

Has anyone heard from the Texas Tech MedSci program or know if there is a similar thread for it?
I believe their MedSci class is interviewing this upcoming week. The class is super small since they accept only 10-12 people

I believe their MedSci class is interviewing this upcoming week. The class is super small since they accept only 10-12 people
I got an interview for Texas Tech but I have to have my decision for UNT the day after my interview. I don't know whether I should go ahead and accept for UNT until I know about Tech or what I should do...

I got an interview for Texas Tech but I have to have my decision for UNT the day after my interview. I don't know whether I should go ahead and accept for UNT until I know about Tech or what I should do...
Weigh your pros and cons.
TT: 2 years; guaranteed interview/acceptance to TT-Lubbock (MD)
UNTHSC: 1 year; nothing is guaranteed but you have a very good shot at TCOM (DO) if you do well.

I'd say take a good hard look at your stats. Is it bad enough that you think you need the guarantee? Or are you more borderline? Why not consider a simple post-bacc since your Undergraduate GPA is not affected by graduate school? What about cost of attendance? Can you afford 1-2 years of apartment fees?

Lots of questions that you'll need to figure out for yourself, unfortunately. If you're really torn, you COULD contact UNTHSC and let them know, but I don't think that would jive well with them.

UNTHSC: 1 year; nothing is guaranteed but you have a very good shot at TCOM (DO) if you do well.

I'd say take a good hard look at your stats. Is it bad enough that you think you need the guarantee? Or are you more borderline? Why not consider a simple post-bacc since your Undergraduate GPA is not affected by graduate school? What about cost of attendance? Can you afford 1-2 years of apartment fees?

Lots of questions that you'll need to figure out for yourself, unfortunately. If you're really torn, you COULD contact UNTHSC and let them know, but I don't think that would jive well with them.

I thought completing the UNTHSC program successfully would atone for a poor undergrad GPA? Even for students not considered borderline. And, in turn, make them more competitive for all TX schools, especially TCOM.
Are you suggesting students not considered "borderline" should try to secure a guarantee elsewhere?

I thought completing the UNTHSC program successfully would atone for a poor undergrad GPA? Even for students not considered borderline. And, in turn, make them more competitive for all TX schools, especially TCOM.
Are you suggesting students not considered "borderline" should try to secure a guarantee elsewhere?

No, it does not atone for your poor undergrad GPA. Rather, what it does show that you have the aptitude to succeed in medical, dental, or PA school (provided that you do well) and that your former self who earned the poor uGPA is not who you are currently. As for competitiveness... it does help you become more competitive for all Texas schools, but historically, Texas schools favor a high GPA and there's no way of circumventing that entirely.

But UNT's gotta know that the same pool of students is applying to both UNT and TTHSC right?

No, it does not atone for your poor undergrad GPA. Rather, what it does show that you have the aptitude to succeed in medical, dental, or PA school (provided that you do well) and that your former self who earned the poor uGPA is not who you are currently. As for competitiveness... it does help you become more competitive for all Texas schools, but historically, Texas schools favor a high GPA and there's no way of circumventing that entirely.

Interesting! I currently have a sub-3.0 sgpa. Are you saying that my sgpa could still keep me from getting into med school, despite successful completion of this program (3.5+)? Just wondering because I was accepted OOS to a program that guarantees a seat in their med school - given that I maintain a certain gpa while in their program.

Accept the offer and until you hear back from Texas Tech, your decision is made for you. If you are presented with the option of deciding between the two, it'll be much easier after you've interviewed at Tech to see their campus and perhaps visited UNTHSC during welcome week in April (I believe that's what it's called).

Interesting! I currently have a sub-3.0 sgpa. Are you saying that my sgpa could still keep me from getting into med school, despite successful completion of this program (3.5+)? Just wondering because I was accepted OOS to a program that guarantees a seat in their med school - given that I maintain a certain gpa while in their program.

There's no guarantee that you will be accepted into TCOM or any other Texas school if you do well in this program - but I personally think your chances in general are much improved. If you wish to have the security then the other program might be a better option, but I think if you apply broadly and early enough, you'll find success.

Edit: The majority of the courses you take in the program will raise both your cumulative and science GPA, while also providing you a graduate GPA.

Edit: The majority of the courses you take in the program will raise both your cumulative and science GPA, while also providing you a graduate GPA.

I don't believe any courses taken beyond a Bachelor's will count towards your c/sGPA on the application. Graduate GPA is entirely separate from undergraduate GPA.

I don't believe any courses taken beyond a Bachelor's will count towards your c/sGPA on the application. Graduate GPA is entirely separate from undergraduate GPA.

I was referring specifically to the TMDSAS - there's a overall sGPA that incorporates both your undergraduate and graduate GPAs.

When is the latest we will hear back from the program? I still havent received an email or update regarding my admission.

I was referring specifically to the TMDSAS - there's a overall sGPA that incorporates both your undergraduate and graduate GPAs.
I...actually didn't know that. Awesome!

Has anyone heard anything? I think the Facebook page is almost half way. Has anyone asked how many applicants there are this cycle?

Can a current or former medsci talk about a typical Fall/Spring semester weekday (or point me to where I can find this on one of the forums)? Just wondering what we're looking at as far as the amount of time in class/lab each day.

Also, if we're not retaking the MCAT and not taking the intro biochem course this semester, it was suggested that we wait to submit applications until after the application workshop. It looks like the last app workshop isn't until June 28th which seems pretty late to submit apps if we already have our essays written. Did any of you not retaking the MCAT submit earlier, such as around the essay writing workshop on June 5th?

Thanks!

Can a current or former medsci talk about a typical Fall/Spring semester weekday (or point me to where I can find this on one of the forums)? Just wondering what we're looking at as far as the amount of time in class/lab each day.

Summer: Maybe an hour a day would be enough for biostatistics. I didn't take Intro Biochem so I wouldn't know how much work that class was.
For people doing everything: Biostatistics > MCAT > Biochemistry, time-distribution wise. (Mostly because Biostats is your first GPA class, and it's 4 credit hours)
Important to keep in mind, though, that to keep up with biostats only requires MAYBE an hour a day. Stay on top of your stuff and you'll be fine.
TL;DR Biostats doesn't require a heavy time commitment; just a consistent one. MCAT/Applications need a heavy time commitment, but don't lose an A in biostats for no good reason.
-I was dumb and procrastinated on Biostats. Managed to scrape by, but with lots of complaining and ice cream. Worked my tail off on the MCAT and it paid off, though.

Fall: This hit a lot of people hard since they weren't used to the amount of information in the short time frame. Your mileage may vary depending on how you study. Generally, it's possible to eke out an A on an exam with 1-2 days of hardcore grinding, but I'd recommend just keeping up with the material. Every day is a lot of information, so missing one or two days is essentially missing 15-20% of the exam.
TL;DR Keep up with the work. Some classes are only once a week or once every two weeks. Do their work ASAP so you don't have to worry about it when studying other stuff.
-Most days I studied 1-3 hours, ramping up to as much as 10 depending on how behind I let myself get. (Don't be me)
There are some times when you have multiple exams back-to-back. Plan ahead.

Spring: Our MedSci class had it weird because they renovated the anatomy labs. We basically rushed through all of anatomy in about 2 months, which wasn't that fun.
Anatomy: Lots of memorization. Get used to compartmentalizing/organizing information as soon as possible so you don't fall behind or sacrifice your grade in another class out of desperation. GO TO LAB. SEEING CADAVERS AND TOUCHING/IDENTIFYING THINGS HELPS SO MUCH. Especially for lab exams, where sometimes the tags can be...not so great.
Physiology: Lots of friends lost their A's due to this class. Work your tail off early on the "easy" systems, and get yourself ready for cardio/pulmonary (and maybe renal, but our exam is tomorrow so I'll comment on that tomorrow)
Clinical Research and Management: Time sink. Do what you need to do to get the grade.
Ethics: Somewhat of a time sink, but not a very heavy one. The readings are actually decent. (The Brewsters)
Pharmacology: TBD.
TL;DR Busiest semester by far. Juggling the memorization exercise that is anatomy with memorization+application in physiology, while also somehow making time for CRM and ethics. Oof.
-Some days I studied 3 or 4 hours, some days I spent the whole day in the library. Way harder than Fall.

How similar is the MCAT class to the Kaplan in person course? Also how helpful was it in regards to the Psych/Soc section?

No clue about Kaplan. Never did any of it.
We had The Princeton Review. Enjoyed everything except their Psych/Soc lol. I'd recommend Reddit resources for that section.

Any current Med Sci students know where I can get the Biochem PowerPoints for the fall. I kinda want to compare.
Have you recieved the slides? If not I can send them to you.
Honestly, biochem for the MCAT is enough to prepare for fall. If you haven't taken biochem in undergrad or you did poorly, the summer course would be helpful to you. If you took it recently and did well and feel confident about it, save yourself the time and money and focus on other things until fall. Fall biochem is a little more in depth and a lot faster than undergrad biochem.
Will you be retaking the MCAT this summer?

How many people do you think have maintained a 4.0 in this program, especially during the harder spring semester?

Current Med Sci checking in and I am happy to answer some question here or if you want to PM me. I don't want to beat around the bush with anybody, cause I know how stressful this entire process is. If you are applying with a poor uGPA and are thinking that applying concurrently while doing well in this program (I'm talking all A's, 4.0 here) you basically have no chance of getting a Texas MD interview. If you're aiming for strictly MD, that's the harsh reality folks. My stats are uGPA 3.4 and MCAT 508, and I thought that some nice A's on courses like Cell Biology and Histology would really prove my point to the adcoms that I was ready for med school and would make up for my poor uGPA. Sad truth is that I didn't heed the advice of some of the people who posted here on my own class page, and pages before, that Med Sci's usefulness is maximized when you apply AFTER completing the program.

Now I'll say that if you would like to go to an OOS DO school or are aiming strictly for TCOM, you have a good shot at getting an interview at those places. TCOM is very well established medical school and I know people in this program who have done really well, some may even have a 4.0, and unfortunately did not receive an interview invite. But, TCOM does pay attention to your grades and does reward people with interview invites and that process also has no reason to it. I knew people with multiple B's who got interviews before people with straight A's. Just shows how crazy this medical school admission game is that someone who's proved themselves in a well renowned SMP doesn't get a single interview invite. Like some of the other Med Scis have posted before me, grades aren't the sole factor that decide if you get a interview/pulled off the waitlist/match, there's some magic formula that adcoms use to factor in a bunch of different things such as your EC's, LOR's, personal statement. But, grades are your gateway to getting a solid look by the adcoms in the first place. They're not going to waste their time on an applicant who doesn't have good grades and somehow wishes to "shine" through a personal statement. In the end, you're applying for medical school and you'll be taking tougher science courses than you took in undergrad, no matter where you went. Everyone knows that medical school is tough and you definitely need to show that you have a strong academic record to show adcoms that you definitely have the potential to succeed in the med school environment. So grades should be a #1 priority when applying and then come in the EC's, LOR's that decide if adcoms believe you have what it takes to get accepted.

Personally, I didn't find this program to be very challenging as many people in previous classes made it to be. I have maintained a 4.0, and I will say struggled during certain blocks/units of classes such as Anatomy and Physiology (also this was my first time taking both classes), but every single class is doable if you are able to 1) understand what exactly is written on the slides AND 2) memorize, memorize, memorize. Don't just prioritize memorizing if you are someone who can easily get mixed up by things, so go easy on yourself and understand what's the concept on the slides so you don't get a panic attack during the test if a few numbers or words are mixed up or paraphrased. I approached every class during Fall semester the same, methodical way, but Spring semester was challenging for me, because I had no experience in Anatomy and Physiology so I had to spend some more time grinding out the material. That being said, everything can be done and you can achieve a 4.0 if you adhere to those 2 points I mentioned before. You may be able to get away with not understanding some things and rote memorization during Fall semester, but know that for some systems in Physiology, like renal, you should take the time to understand the material being taught, because not all questions are memory recall.

My apologies for writing an essay, but I thought I'd like to share some insight into the program, cause it sure did help me when I was applying. If anybody wants me to provide some more details regarding the program, I'm happy to share.

Reactions: 7 users