UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! When did you complete your application?

I submitted my application on 2/27/18 and it was complete by 3/2/18! I applied pretty late!

Members don't see this ad.

Giving up my seat, hopefully it goes to one of you guys! Good luck everyone

Reactions: 2 users
c
A post on the FB page from earlier today implied there might be some acceptances coming in May so there's still hope.

can someone post the link to the facebook page? I can't seem to find it. I found one but it's a closed group for the people accepted into the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
c

can someone post the link to the facebook page? I can't seem to find it. I found one but it's a closed group for the people accepted into the program.

You’ll find the information in your acceptance email for the Facebook group. The group is “closed” but it brings up a message when you try to join. Just fill in your name and your acceptance status and the admin of the group will allow you to join.

At this point if I haven't heard anything should I expect a rejection?

I know it was a long time ago but when I was in medsci 5 years ago, plenty of my friends were accepted in May. People will drop their acceptance if they were on med school wait lists. One person I knew got accepted after the 1st day of orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
I know it was a long time ago but when I was in medsci 5 years ago, plenty of my friends were accepted in May. People will drop their acceptance if they were on med school wait lists. One person I knew got accepted after the 1st day of orientation.
That's sooo crazy!!! Thanks for the info though!

Got accepted earlier today, absolutely wasn't expecting this!! Submitted 3/1 and had a big issue with my transcript being sent and not being delivered till last week and all sorts of other stuff based on poor planning on my part. Had 100% given up on this one honestly. Either way, super excited!!

Reactions: 1 user
Got accepted earlier today, absolutely wasn't expecting this!! Submitted 3/1 and had a big issue with my transcript being sent and not being delivered till last week and all sorts of other stuff based on poor planning on my part. Had 100% given up on this one honestly. Either way, super excited!!
Do u kind sharing ur stats?

Current med sci (well actually alum now since our program just ended 2 weeks ago). Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, feel free to PM me if you have any more lengthier/private questions, more than happy to help.

Some thoughts I've had reflecting on the past year:

1) IF you're taking your MCAT in the summer, give it 110%. Your summer semester is incredibly relaxed (one distance-learning class) so you need to not squander it and get your primary/secondary done along with studying hard for the MCAT. I know NO ONE wants to have to retake that test, but I know people who didn't give it their all, or didn't get the score they wanted, and as a result are having to take it in May, or over winter break. If you're applying concurrently, this is problematic obviously bc if your summer score wasn't what you wanted it to be, you're just further hurting your chances of getting in this coming cycle. You'll have SO LITTLE time during the actual school year to take the MCAT. I know some people who are re-taking it at the end of May and are only really giving themselves about 3 weeks to study/re-learn the material (we had finals all the way up till May 3rd).

2) It's absolutely possible to do well in this program, and by well I mean 4.0. Some 59/187 people in our class (nearly 1/3) finished out the program with all A's. Put in the time/work, memorize the Powerpoints (tests questions are pretty much ALL just stuff on PPT) and you'll be fine. TBH, I went to UT Austin and some of the biochem tests I had were harder than the ones I had at this program. This program is a second-chance for a lot of people (myself included) to show that you can handle hard science courses at a fast pace. For reference, I got all A's in this program and my uGPA was 3.23.

3) I strongly suggest people to apply concurrently. It is absolutely true that (assuming you do well), your chances of getting in are much higher AFTER you finish the program and have a full year of A's (hopefully) on record the moment you are applying. Otherwise, you're just having to send grades course by course as they get finalized throughout the semester. Incidentally, DON'T make the same mistake as I did and send updated transcripts to each individual medical school's offices of admissions directly instead of to TMDSAS. At the start of the program, I was a firm believer, and I still am, that if you do well in the first semester, you'll get some love from TCOM at the very least. I think of the ~65 people who got a 4.0 in the fall semester, only like 3 people didn't get interviews from TCOM (looking at only those that applied concurrently, of course).

4) It sounds so cliche by now but: make sure you REALLY want to do whatever health profession you want. I worked pretty hard and sacrificed a lot this past year, just so I can HOPEFULLY earn the opportunity to do this all over again, except at an even more rigorous pace and for even longer of a time period than just one year. There is more to life than just medicine/pharmacy/dentistry/PA. There are plenty of other jobs out there where you can have great quality of life, respect, financial security, and don't have as high of an entry threshold.

Congrats to all my fellow med scis that just finished, and congrats to all the incoming med scis for getting in!

Reactions: 4 users
Current Med Sci checking in and I am happy to answer some question here or if you want to PM me. I don't want to beat around the bush with anybody, cause I know how stressful this entire process is. If you are applying with a poor uGPA and are thinking that applying concurrently while doing well in this program (I'm talking all A's, 4.0 here) you basically have no chance of getting a Texas MD interview. If you're aiming for strictly MD, that's the harsh reality folks. My stats are uGPA 3.4 and MCAT 508, and I thought that some nice A's on courses like Cell Biology and Histology would really prove my point to the adcoms that I was ready for med school and would make up for my poor uGPA. Sad truth is that I didn't heed the advice of some of the people who posted here on my own class page, and pages before, that Med Sci's usefulness is maximized when you apply AFTER completing the program.

Now I'll say that if you would like to go to an OOS DO school or are aiming strictly for TCOM, you have a good shot at getting an interview at those places. TCOM is very well established medical school and I know people in this program who have done really well, some may even have a 4.0, and unfortunately did not receive an interview invite. But, TCOM does pay attention to your grades and does reward people with interview invites and that process also has no reason to it. I knew people with multiple B's who got interviews before people with straight A's. Just shows how crazy this medical school admission game is that someone who's proved themselves in a well renowned SMP doesn't get a single interview invite. Like some of the other Med Scis have posted before me, grades aren't the sole factor that decide if you get a interview/pulled off the waitlist/match, there's some magic formula that adcoms use to factor in a bunch of different things such as your EC's, LOR's, personal statement. But, grades are your gateway to getting a solid look by the adcoms in the first place. They're not going to waste their time on an applicant who doesn't have good grades and somehow wishes to "shine" through a personal statement. In the end, you're applying for medical school and you'll be taking tougher science courses than you took in undergrad, no matter where you went. Everyone knows that medical school is tough and you definitely need to show that you have a strong academic record to show adcoms that you definitely have the potential to succeed in the med school environment. So grades should be a #1 priority when applying and then come in the EC's, LOR's that decide if adcoms believe you have what it takes to get accepted.

Personally, I didn't find this program to be very challenging as many people in previous classes made it to be. I have maintained a 4.0, and I will say struggled during certain blocks/units of classes such as Anatomy and Physiology (also this was my first time taking both classes), but every single class is doable if you are able to 1) understand what exactly is written on the slides AND 2) memorize, memorize, memorize. Don't just prioritize memorizing if you are someone who can easily get mixed up by things, so go easy on yourself and understand what's the concept on the slides so you don't get a panic attack during the test if a few numbers or words are mixed up or paraphrased. I approached every class during Fall semester the same, methodical way, but Spring semester was challenging for me, because I had no experience in Anatomy and Physiology so I had to spend some more time grinding out the material. That being said, everything can be done and you can achieve a 4.0 if you adhere to those 2 points I mentioned before. You may be able to get away with not understanding some things and rote memorization during Fall semester, but know that for some systems in Physiology, like renal, you should take the time to understand the material being taught, because not all questions are memory recall.

My apologies for writing an essay, but I thought I'd like to share some insight into the program, cause it sure did help me when I was applying. If anybody wants me to provide some more details regarding the program, I'm happy to share.

Hi Shelby, I appreciate your comprehensive post. I was wondering what university you graduated from. I only ask because I have around the same GPA from undergrad but I feel as though I had a very tough undergrad program that would prepare me well for graduate school. I am inquiring in order to see if I could be successful in the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted today off the waitlist, does anyone have a link to that electronics package? Just wanna see the specs of the macbook

Per an administrator's post on the 2017-18 FB page, these are the schools that students from this year's class entered.

AT Still University
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Midwestern University Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine
New York University
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Texas A & M Baylor College of Dentistry
Texas A & M Health Science Center
Texas Tech Health Science Center – Lubbock
Texas Tech Health Science Center – El Paso
University of Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry
University of the Incarnate Word College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of North Texas Health Science Center
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio College of Dentistry
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio School of Medicine
University of Nevada at Las Vegas School of Medicine
University of Texas Medical Branch
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center PA Program
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
William Carey College of Osteopathic Medicine

Hey guys, Im a recent Med Sci graduate with a 4.0 GPA. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program! I'll be happy to help.

Hey guys, Im a recent Med Sci graduate with a 4.0 GPA. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program! I'll be happy to help.
I tried PMing you but I think you disabled it.

How do you feel about the program?
Is it geared toward getting you into DO or MD school?
How were the courses like?

Those are the only questions that I can think of right now.

Try checking your privacy settings because I couldn't send you a message either. I think messaging is enabled on my end.

-Harder than my undergrad curriculum but easier than it was hyped up to be. Good program.
-Both, but most people are more likely to be aiming for DO due to their undergraduate GPA. A perfect graduate GPA does not completely replace the uGPA, unfortunately.
-Some were easy, some were unnecessarily difficult to slog through, and some were annoying. None were impossible (as shown by the substantial number of 4.0's), but required you to put in effort. Overall, the one word I'd choose to describe the courses/the program is fair. The results are all dependent on you.

If there’s anyone still looking for housing I’m lookin for 3 roommates. My house is in south Arlington appx 15 min away from campus. Will only rent to TCOM med students or medsci students. Text 8172699520 for more details

If there’s anyone still looking for housing I’m lookin for 3 roommates. My house is in south Arlington appx 15 min away from campus. Will only rent to TCOM med students or medsci students. Text 8172699520 for more details

I'd recommend being cautious about putting a personal number on a public, anonymous forum.

Reactions: 2 users
how are my stats to get into this program? 3.4 cpga 3.1 spga 501 mcat. Thank you.
ECs- 1000 hours clinical volunteering and working as an emt
200 nonclinical volunterring

how are my stats to get into this program? 3.4 cpga 3.1 spga 501 mcat. Thank you.
I think you should be a competitive applicant for this program. Your GPA is about average and your MCAT will most likely be below average compared to the class overall, but you can take the summer MCAT course that is provided by UNTHSC to improve your score. In fact, with your score they'll make it a requirement for you to enroll in the class, because last year when I was started the program the minimum cutoff for placing out of the MCAT course was a 506. I think they might have even increased that cutoff score now since it's only getting more competitive to get into med school every year.

I think you should be a competitive applicant for this program. Your GPA is about average and your MCAT will most likely be below average compared to the class overall, but you can take the summer MCAT course that is provided by UNTHSC to improve your score. In fact, with your score they'll make it a requirement for you to enroll in the class, because last year when I was started the program the minimum cutoff for placing out of the MCAT course was a 506. I think they might have even increased that cutoff score now since it's only getting more competitive to get into med school every year.

okay thank you; yeah I'm currently studying for the mcat but along that comes panic/anxiety attacks lol so I am just looking at every option

This year the cutoff to not take the MCAT prep class is 508. But yeah you sound right in the range where a lot of us are.

Your stats are around average but be sure to apply early. I know a couple people with a slightly higher GPA (around 3.6) and much higher MCAT (around 509-510) that were not accepted because they waited to apply until late January/February.

I applied super late in 2017. I believe it was the last week or maybe even day to submit the application, which was mainly due to me being unsure of how I wanted to spend my gap year following my undergrad graduation. My stats were nothing special (LizzyM ≈ 64-65) and I ended up receiving an acceptance when one of the later waves of emails were being sent out. So, from what I recall and based on my own experience, a late submission isn't gonna exactly doom your chances. Nevertheless, it's in your best interest to assume that the competition is increasing every year, so the earlier you submit your application is better.

I'm planning on applying for this program for the upcoming cycle. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the timeline for applying to med schools would be if I got into the program? Would I have to take a gap year after the program before matriculation?

I'm planning on applying for this program for the upcoming cycle. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the timeline for applying to med schools would be if I got into the program? Would I have to take a gap year after the program before matriculation?

I’m a new student in this program. Submitted all primary applications in June and finished all secondaries first week of July. Others are submitting primaries and waiting to submit secondaries until after they take their mcat in August. Many students are waiting to submit their applications until after they graduate the program if GPA was their main setback. Really depends on how proactive you are and what your situation is.

Does anyone know what the essay prompts are? I've searched everywhere and couldn't find anything thats recent.

From the AdComs when I applied last year:

"The supplemental essay questions in the application are asking specifically what your career goals are, what kinds of significant experiences you've had that have contributed to the development of your goals, what you expect to be the greatest challenge in your graduate study, and any other important information that you would like the committee to know.

There is also a section of the application where you can list your extracurricular/volunteer activities and relevant work experience in the healthcare field."

From the AdComs when I applied last year:

"The supplemental essay questions in the application are asking specifically what your career goals are, what kinds of significant experiences you've had that have contributed to the development of your goals, what you expect to be the greatest challenge in your graduate study, and any other important information that you would like the committee to know.

There is also a section of the application where you can list your extracurricular/volunteer activities and relevant work experience in the healthcare field."

Thanks,I plan on pre-writing these. By the way, is there a word limit?

Anybody have any tips on how to help your chances of getting accepted into this program? I want to get in, my GPA is 3.2 and my MCAT is a 498. I know that both are mediocre. My GPA is low due to multiple factors (being robbed at gunpoint followed with PTSD, undiagnosed ADHD, then calibrating said medications, miscarriages). I don't know if that will effect any of those factors or not.

Anybody have any tips on how to help your chances of getting accepted into this program? I want to get in, my GPA is 3.2 and my MCAT is a 498. I know that both are mediocre. My GPA is low due to multiple factors (being robbed at gunpoint followed with PTSD, undiagnosed ADHD, then calibrating said medications, miscarriages). I don't know if that will effect any of those factors or not.
Hey, so I'd first start off by trying to improve that MCAT score. Most people coming into the program will have a 500+ score, and since everything is becoming ultra competitive by the year, you want to maximize your chances of admission with a more competitive score. Now there is a MCAT course that is offered by UNTHSC for people admitted in the program and do not meet the MCAT cutoff (which might be 508 or something for the current year), so you might have a chance to get in with that score since they'll know you will be taking the MCAT course anyways. If you think you can significantly bump up your score, the best move would be to retake the MCAT before you apply and if you end up doing really well, you can not only opt out of the summer MCAT class, but your application will be seen stronger by med school admissions.

Regarding your GPA, I'd say it's not on the low end, because many people come in with 3.1-3.5 GPAs and end up doing well in the program. I myself had a low GPA and I don't think it necessarily held me back from getting into the Med Sci program. If your science GPA is low, or you lack in some key science coursework, you might want to take some post bacc classes to strengthen your transcripts. It's not something that is 100% required, but with a low MCAT some post bacc A's can shift attention away from the deficient areas of your application.

And for your personal reasons, mention them in your essays and how they affected your ability to succeed in school. Talk about the experiences you had and what is most important is what you learned from them and how you now have the potential to succeed/demonstrated success despite the hardships you've faced.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Can anybody answer what a typical day in this program is? I was researching and looking and a lot of the courses (in the schedule anyway) state that they are M-F 8-12, at the same time. So I was just curious what the daily schedule looks like.

Can anybody answer what a typical day in this program is? I was researching and looking and a lot of the courses (in the schedule anyway) state that they are M-F 8-12, at the same time. So I was just curious what the daily schedule looks like.

We have class M-F, but a majority of the days we're only in class for 3 hours and on the very class heavy days, we're in class 6 hours (at least that's what it's been like this fall). This week, for example, I had class 9-11 am on Monday, 9-11 am and 1-3 pm on Tuesday, and 8-11 am class today plus an exam at 1 pm. 8-10 am class tomorrow. 8-11 am class on Friday.

Next week will be busier but for the most part, done before 5 pm unless you go to large group tutoring sessions and usually with a nice break in the middle of the day for studying. If you'd like more detail you can always message me. :)

I have a 3.31 gpa and 505 MCAT and I have applied to med schools this cycle but there has been no luck so far. I feel like my stats are okay enough to get an acceptance into the program (correct me if I am wrong) but I am worried about getting those LORs. I know applicants need 2 but it doesn't specify from who. I am in my gap year rn and getting a LOR from professors is very hard since I am not in touch with them. Any ideas or suggestions/tips for getting LORs?

I have a 3.31 gpa and 505 MCAT and I have applied to med schools this cycle but there has been no luck so far. I feel like my stats are okay enough to get an acceptance into the program (correct me if I am wrong) but I am worried about getting those LORs. I know applicants need 2 but it doesn't specify from who. I am in my gap year rn and getting a LOR from professors is very hard since I am not in touch with them. Any ideas or suggestions/tips for getting LORs?

Your stats seem well within the acceptable range for the program. Depending on the MCAT cutoff they specify you may be required to take the summer MCAT course through the program. I’m a pretty non traditional applicant so I had letters (the same ones I used to apply to med school that cycle) from a clinical instructor and a nursing professor. As long as it’s not specified you could probably get a letter from whoever you feel can speak of your work ethic and your motivation to pursue a career in Medicine.

We have class M-F, but a majority of the days we're only in class for 3 hours and on the very class heavy days, we're in class 6 hours (at least that's what it's been like this fall). This week, for example, I had class 9-11 am on Monday, 9-11 am and 1-3 pm on Tuesday, and 8-11 am class today plus an exam at 1 pm. 8-10 am class tomorrow. 8-11 am class on Friday.

Next week will be busier but for the most part, done before 5 pm unless you go to large group tutoring sessions and usually with a nice break in the middle of the day for studying. If you'd like more detail you can always message me. :)

I was wondering what are like the grade distribution? How competitive is to get an A in the class? Are you compared with the med students who are in TCOM? Are like the exams based on lecture notes or do you have to read the books?
I sometimes freakout during tests and that's why I have a low science gpa. So I am a little scared to do the post-bacc program.

Also, how does people have time to apply and work on their secondary if they are in the MCAT prep and all taking all courseworks during the summer?

I was wondering what are like the grade distribution? How competitive is to get an A in the class? Are you compared with the med students who are in TCOM? Are like the exams based on lecture notes or do you have to read the books?
I sometimes freakout during tests and that's why I have a low science gpa. So I am a little scared to do the post-bacc program.

Also, how does people have time to apply and work on their secondary if they are in the MCAT prep and all taking all courseworks during the summer?

I would take some of this with a grain of salt because I've only officially completed a couple of courses so far (since it's the middle of the Fall semester), but hopefully I can make you feel a little less anxious.

So I would say the program has an emphasis on promoting cooperation within the class and therefor is really... not competitive -- at least not as far as interactions with your peers. Seriously, my classmates are so awesome and we share so many study resources! Everyone looks out for each other. We're not competing against each other for grades and it's not back like when I was in undergrad and grades were given per a distribution. If you're wondering more how difficult it is to get an A in classes, I think it really just depends on the person. Some people are having a bit of difficulty but others are perfectly fine and making perfect scores on exams. You're given all the tools you need to succeed though. There are reviews held by tutors prior to the exams, reviews with the professors where you have time to ask questions/clarify topics, and the opportunity to get tutored additionally through the school (without paying as far as I know).

We are not compared to the TCOM students. And I'd say the exams are pretty close to the stuff covered in class/power points unless the professor says otherwise. The professors are usually really good about specifying what is testable and what is FYI. Also! The testing services people are pretty cool and you could probably speak to someone if you have a lot of testing anxiety and see if there is any way they can help. It is a pretty fast-paced program though. I think we covered biochem in like 6 weeks? A lot of it is getting yourself into the right mind set/ work ethic to study for a test with less than a week's turn around. It's just a lot of material.

As for your last question, haha. Well. It's been pretty wild studying for the MCAT, retaking it, applying, and doing classes. If you decided to apply while in the program and you budget your time well you could probably pre-write a lot of the essays/secondaries during the summer when you're taking the MCAT course (as well as biostatistics and possibly the optional intro to biochem class) and then have less to do when the Fall semester hits you with a load of classes. I didn't quite plan that well so my weekends have been dedicated to studying and getting secondaries completed.

If I misunderstood a question or didn't answer it sufficiently, feel free to message me. :)

Your stats seem well within the acceptable range for the program. Depending on the MCAT cutoff they specify you may be required to take the summer MCAT course through the program. I’m a pretty non traditional applicant so I had letters (the same ones I used to apply to med school that cycle) from a clinical instructor and a nursing professor. As long as it’s not specified you could probably get a letter from whoever you feel can speak of your work ethic and your motivation to pursue a career in Medicine.

Thank you for you reply! I wasn't sure if we could just use the same LOR we used for med school so hearing from you that its acceptable to use that has put me at ease! As for the MCAT course, did you personally find that useful? I have noticed that people had mixed feelings about it.

Thank you for you reply! I wasn't sure if we could just use the same LOR we used for med school so hearing from you that its acceptable to use that has put me at ease! As for the MCAT course, did you personally find that useful? I have noticed that people had mixed feelings about it.

I found parts of it helpful tbh. I naturally do really well in CARS so I didn’t get much out of those classes, but I did find the biology, physics, and gen chem lectures really helpful. I think the most helpful things are the TRULY ENORMOUS stack of books they give you (seriously on the book distribution day it might be good to bring a rolling backpack lol), all the online questions, and the online practice tests. I will say I went up a couple of points on my score from the previous time that I took the exam while only self-studying. I think the people that prefer only self-study probably didn’t find the MCAT course super helpful.

I would take some of this with a grain of salt because I've only officially completed a couple of courses so far (since it's the middle of the Fall semester), but hopefully I can make you feel a little less anxious.

So I would say the program has an emphasis on promoting cooperation within the class and therefor is really... not competitive -- at least not as far as interactions with your peers. Seriously, my classmates are so awesome and we share so many study resources! Everyone looks out for each other. We're not competing against each other for grades and it's not back like when I was in undergrad and grades were given per a distribution. If you're wondering more how difficult it is to get an A in classes, I think it really just depends on the person. Some people are having a bit of difficulty but others are perfectly fine and making perfect scores on exams. You're given all the tools you need to succeed though. There are reviews held by tutors prior to the exams, reviews with the professors where you have time to ask questions/clarify topics, and the opportunity to get tutored additionally through the school (without paying as far as I know).

We are not compared to the TCOM students. And I'd say the exams are pretty close to the stuff covered in class/power points unless the professor says otherwise. The professors are usually really good about specifying what is testable and what is FYI. Also! The testing services people are pretty cool and you could probably speak to someone if you have a lot of testing anxiety and see if there is any way they can help. It is a pretty fast-paced program though. I think we covered biochem in like 6 weeks? A lot of it is getting yourself into the right mind set/ work ethic to study for a test with less than a week's turn around. It's just a lot of material.

As for your last question, haha. Well. It's been pretty wild studying for the MCAT, retaking it, applying, and doing classes. If you decided to apply while in the program and you budget your time well you could probably pre-write a lot of the essays/secondaries during the summer when you're taking the MCAT course (as well as biostatistics and possibly the optional intro to biochem class) and then have less to do when the Fall semester hits you with a load of classes. I didn't quite plan that well so my weekends have been dedicated to studying and getting secondaries completed.

If I misunderstood a question or didn't answer it sufficiently, feel free to message me. :)

OMG thank you for answering all the questions. You are so helpful and so nice unlike all the premed kids at my school. Wish you all the best with the med school applications. You got this!

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated in 2015 with a BS in Biology and a 3.55 overall GPA. (Science GPA ]around 3.3) I took the MCAT once in 2016 and did terrible (480 something). I really didn't study for it, and wasn't smart about the whole process. For the last 3 years I've been working and helping my family financially. If I want to get into an MD school in Texas, will a great MCAT score (coupled w/ my 3.55 overall GPA) be sufficient? I am thinking about pursuing this program since A. my 3.55 GPA is considered 'low' for Asians (which I am) that are accepted into these Texas MD schools and B. I have bee out of school for 4 years as of next summer....so I am worried it would be a red flag to medical schools. I have a GRE score with which I'm planning to apply to this program with. Do you guys think this program is right for me? If I get more than a 510 on my MCAT this March (2019), should I still attend the program, if accepted? Or do you guys think I should just apply to MD schools in May with my 3.55 and 510ish? I have research experience and was an officer in a couple of health clubs in my undergrad, but that was all 2013-2015...nothing medical related recently on my resume as I have been working at the family business.

I graduated in 2015 with a BS in Biology and a 3.55 overall GPA. (Science GPA ]around 3.3) I took the MCAT once in 2016 and did terrible (480 something). I really didn't study for it, and wasn't smart about the whole process. For the last 3 years I've been working and helping my family financially. If I want to get into an MD school in Texas, will a great MCAT score (coupled w/ my 3.55 overall GPA) be sufficient? I am thinking about pursuing this program since A. my 3.55 GPA is considered 'low' for Asians (which I am) that are accepted into these Texas MD schools and B. I have bee out of school for 4 years as of next summer....so I am worried it would be a red flag to medical schools. I have a GRE score with which I'm planning to apply to this program with. Do you guys think this program is right for me? If I get more than a 510 on my MCAT this March (2019), should I still attend the program, if accepted? Or do you guys think I should just apply to MD schools in May with my 3.55 and 510ish? I have research experience and was an officer in a couple of health clubs in my undergrad, but that was all 2013-2015...nothing medical related recently on my resume as I have been working at the family business.

Honestly, it's too difficult to say whether or not you will matriculate specifically into a MD school, especially with TX schools loving their high GPAs (of which your lower sGPA is not helping you.) I applied last cycle (while enrolled in this program) with a c/sGPA of 3.6/3.8 and a 520+ MCAT and only received 4 interviews in TX, of which I was accepted into two. Completing this program with a high GPA (>3.8) will definitely open doors and your application will be much stronger than just applying with your current stats.

Honestly, it's too difficult to say whether or not you will matriculate specifically into a MD school, especially with TX schools loving their high GPAs (of which your lower sGPA is not helping you.) I applied last cycle (while enrolled in this program) with a c/sGPA of 3.6/3.8 and a 520+ MCAT and only received 4 interviews in TX, of which I was accepted into two. Completing this program with a high GPA (>3.8) will definitely open doors and your application will be much stronger than just applying with your current stats.

Hey congrats on your acceptance! And I appreciate your reply. So did you attend the summer MCAT classes the program requires you take and end up taking the MCAT last summer?

Hey congrats on your acceptance! And I appreciate your reply. So did you attend the summer MCAT classes the program requires you take and end up taking the MCAT last summer?

Thanks! I opted in to take the MCAT course and in hindsight I would just recommend studying on your own if you are wanting to retest. The MCAT course is only mandatory if you have score <508.

Question for anybody still looking at this. Any news on admissions for 2019? I submitted my application in December and just sent my Fall transcript in 2 weeks ago (the first available time). Has anybody heard back? Don't want to come across as rude/impatient with admissions committee people by calling to see about a time line. For those accepted previously, when did you hear about admission? Thanks! :)

Question for anybody still looking at this. Any news on admissions for 2019? I submitted my application in December and just sent my Fall transcript in 2 weeks ago (the first available time). Has anybody heard back? Don't want to come across as rude/impatient with admissions committee people by calling to see about a time line. For those accepted previously, when did you hear about admission? Thanks! :)

They haven't started reviewing yet. I was told late January, so maybe this Friday.