UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I looked this up on my phone and it didn't show up. It gave me "related searches" and previous years are showing. Are you able to see the members? Could just be admins or faculty still.
you have to look it up on facebook search and then specify groups only.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I'm thinking on uploading a third letter. I currently have a science professor, and one from a prestigious program director at my school. I want to add a second science professor. The thing though, is that he wrote this letter back in November 2016. How recent do these letters have to be? Also, it has headings for medical school because I was trying to apply to med school at the time but things didn't work out

you have to look it up on facebook search and then specify groups only.

Dang I can't see the third member. Can you? The two that I am allowed to see are faculty. I met with one of them twice before. It also says "1 new post today" omg.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang I can't see the third member. Can you? The two that I am allowed to see are faculty. I met with one of them twice before. It also says "1 new post today" omg.
yea I can't see the 3rd member as well. If the 3rd person were moderators or faculty, I feel like a pic of them would be next to the others.

yea I can't see the 3rd member as well. If the 3rd person were moderators or faculty, I feel like a pic of them would be next to the others.

I remember reading previous forums that there’s orientation leaders that get added too, so it may be a leader?

man they are really slow :(

Reactions: 1 users
I just wanted to chime in and say that I graduated from this program in the Spring of 2018 and was also in the first batch of acceptances, which came out on February 28th. The current FB group only has administrative people and no students. Hopefully you all hear back in the next week or so!

Reactions: 6 users
I just wanted to chime in and say that I graduated from this program in the Spring of 2018 and was also in the first batch of acceptances, which came out on February 28th. The current FB group only has administrative people and no students. Hopefully you all hear back in the next week or so!

Ahh! Thank you so much for sharing this information with us! How did you like the program? Did it open a lot of doors for you? Also what were your stats going into the program? and once you finished?

Ahh! Thank you so much for sharing this information with us! How did you like the program? Did it open a lot of doors for you? Also what were your stats going into the program? and once you finished?

My entry stats were 3.6 GPA and 511 MCAT ; however, there were many students that had stats above and below mine in the program.

The program is what you make of it - if you excel and finish the program with a strong GPA then you will definitely open many doors for yourself. I have many peers that have matriculated to a variety of US MD/DO, PA, and dental schools alike. Currently there are about 40 of my peers that completed the MedSci program (myself included) at TCOM.

My entry stats were 3.6 GPA and 511 MCAT ; however, there were many students that had stats above and below mine in the program.

The program is what you make of it - if you excel and finish the program with a strong GPA then you will definitely open many doors for yourself. I have many peers that have matriculated to a variety of US MD/DO, PA, and dental schools alike. Currently there are about 40 of my peers that completed the MedSci program (myself included) at TCOM.

Do you happen to know the GPA and MCAT range for your entering class?

Do you happen to know the GPA and MCAT range for your entering class?

I don't know the strict GPA and MCAT range, but from what I've gathered our MedSci class had GPAs ranging from 3.0 - 3.9 GPA and 495 to 510+ MCAT. I believe the general applicant would have either a high GPA and low MCAT or vice versa, though some were on the same side of the spectrum for both.

I don't know the strict GPA and MCAT range, but from what I've gathered our MedSci class had GPAs ranging from 3.0 - 3.9 GPA and 495 to 510+ MCAT. I believe the general applicant would have either a high GPA and low MCAT or vice versa, though some were on the same side of the spectrum for both.

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Wow that's a pretty good MCAT and not a bad GPA. Makes my stats look like total crap lol. Did you finish with a 4.0? How many schools did you get acceptances from? and why did you chose to stay at TCOM as opposed to other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that's a pretty good MCAT and not a bad GPA. Makes my stats look like total crap lol. Did you finish with a 4.0? How many schools did you get acceptances from? and why did you chose to stay at TCOM as opposed to other schools?

Stats are only one part of the application, if you have a compelling story you're just as competitive!

I did finish with a 4.0 - I interviewed at 4 TMDSAS schools along with a handful of AACOMAS schools. I was accepted into 2 of the TMDSAS schools and all AACOMAS. I ultimately decided on TCOM because it was close to home (Dallas) and my s/o who lived in Houston at the time.

Stats are only one part of the application, if you have a compelling story you're just as competitive!

I did finish with a 4.0 - I interviewed at 4 TMDSAS schools along with a handful of AACOMAS schools. I was accepted into 2 of the TMDSAS schools and all AACOMAS. I ultimately decided on TCOM because it was close to home (Dallas) and my s/o who lived in Houston at the time.
Could you talk about whether or not you had to take a gap year after the program or whether or not it's common to matriculate right after finishing the program?

Do you happen to know how many waves of acceptances there are? And at what month do they finish giving acceptances?

Reactions: 2 users
Could you talk about whether or not you had to take a gap year after the program or whether or not it's common to matriculate right after finishing the program?

I applied while in the program and matriculated the same year. It ultimately depends on your stats, e.g. if your GPA is on the lower end it may be best to apply afterwards or if you want extra time to study for the MCAT. I would say >70% of my class applied the same year and a majority of us matriculated.

Do you happen to know how many waves of acceptances there are? And at what month do they finish giving acceptances?

You can check past threads for the specifics, but I recall that acceptances began in the last week of February up until orientation (latter half of May) and waves were about every two weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I just checked and was accepted just letting y'all know they are accepting rn.

Reactions: 6 users
I just checked and was accepted just letting y'all know they are accepting rn.
Did you get an email letting you know your status had changed or did you have to check their website?

Just got the accepted email!! :) Submitted mid December!

Reactions: 5 users
Just received an acceptance email. Submitted 1/06/19. Good luck to everyone!:)

Just got accepted! :) Submitted on 01/28, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Quick question!! When you guys applied how long did it take for the application status to change from applicant to received/reviewed?

Congratulations to all you guys who got accepted today! :)

[cries internally]

Reactions: 3 users
OMG congrats everyone who got accepted!!!! I'm kinda nervous cause I saw someone who submitted 1/28 and was accepted. Mine was submitted and completed 1/14 and it still says "received". did they skip me? lol ahhhhh

so 5 acceptances that we know of, out of what? 240-250 seats? We still have a chance guys! Don't go eating a gallon of ice cream just yet :laugh:

Mine was submitted 12/29 but not sure when it was marked completed since I was missing a document or two until mid January. Haven’t received a reply yet

Submitted mine on 1/25/19, just got an email last Friday stating that my one class, five-week summer Texas Government community college transcript hadn't been received yet and was holding up my review (even though UNT status read "Complete" for weeks). Was so irate at CCCCD. Hopefully the next wave of reviews comes shortly.

Accepted at 5:30 with completed application on 01/06! Best of luck ya’ll!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know approximately how many acceptances they give in each "wave of acceptances"? Are they all done in one day, or should we expect more tomorrow?
I'm super late to the game but also got accepted with the 5:30 pm wave of acceptances today! (App completed 1/15) Excited to meet everyone and best of luck to those still waiting to hear back!!

Congrats!!!!! Does your app now say "reviewed"? or still says "received"? I submitted 1/14 and it says "received" ahhh

No one else posted on here today so I'm assuming UNT only sends out acceptances on 1 day for that "acceptance wave". Someone else mentioned that it happens every 2 weeks? So we should be expecting another wave around March 11? This wait is killing me! Am I the only one that kept checking UNT portal and email today? lol

So I heard there are no secondary applications, what about interviews? I haven’t seen any talk about interviews so I was wondering if they even have them before acceptances are handed out.
No secondaries but there are interviews. For reference, I finished my application end of February, was notified I receive an Interview on March 27th and Interviews were held April 5th & 6th. I got my acceptance May 3rd. (This is the TTUHSC MedSci Program btw)

So it seems like only some people are interviewed before acceptance(?). The first batch of people were accepted earlier this week and *none* of them were interviewed AFAIK.

So it seems like only some people are interviewed before acceptance(?). The first batch of people were accepted earlier this week and *none* of them were interviewed AFAIK.
Kprovost is talking about the program at Texas Tech, not the one at UNT. In case that was the point of confusion.

Hi everyone!
This may be a dumb question, but when they say that the supporting documents have to be in by March 15 this includes Rec Letters right??

Hi everyone!
This may be a dumb question, but when they say that the supporting documents have to be in by March 15 this includes Rec Letters right??
Yes, that is correct! Great question :)

Hey current med sci, I believe you can call the admissions office and check, but i remember them being flexible with when they receive your rec letters. If i remember correctly, i submitted the day of the deadline (3/1) and had a rec letter arrive a couple days late. Ended up getting an acceptance a week later so everything worked out. Let me know if y'all have any question regarding the program. Its definitely a beast, but if you're willing to put in the effort there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to maintain a 4.0

Dang you got accepted a week after applying on the last day? lol. That's amazing! Mind sharing your stats with us? Also, how often do they give out acceptances?

So I’m reading about this ‘technology package’ and I’ve come to understand that it’s a mac? Does anyone have anymore information on this?