UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DM me or post on the thread. 2018 grad here.
What is a typical day like as far as classes and studying? Are weekends mostly study as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Man you have some guts to be calling so much lol I've emailed and the people sounded like NO, YOU ARE OKAY! so I dont want to piss them off and have them reject me lmao. But good news that your app is being reviewed. I kind of think we're getting more acceptances tomorrow!

Well to be fair most of my calls were before the document deadline because my transcript was still in my to-do list and I kept getting different answers from their staff as the whether or not they had received it. Hopefully I wasn’t too annoying lol but they did end up receiving my transcript in early February, but it took about three calls for someone to finally tell me that and remove it from my to-do list.

Well to be fair most of my calls were before the document deadline because my transcript was still in my to-do list and I kept getting different answers from their staff as the whether or not they had received it. Hopefully I wasn’t too annoying lol but they did end up receiving my transcript in early February, but it took about three calls for someone to finally tell me that and remove it from my to-do list.

That is unfortunate. I was a bit on edge when they told me they didn't receive my transcripts after it was marked received and completed for 3 weeks and they told me after the deadline of 3/15

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied/Received on 3/1 waiting to hear back. Good luck to everyone applying.
My stats aren't the best but I'd thought I would give it a shot:
MCAT 485
GPA: 3.01

Planning to retake the MCAT during the summer

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT 485

I don't think that's bad. I mean that's the idea of wanting to do the SMP program, is to strengthen your app. I also thought I'd give it a shot and I bombed :boom:my MCAT last year. However I retook it a few weeks ago.
On the same note, I was told by another program that my application is under review and I will know something by Friday.
So I'll Wait :corny:

I don't think that's bad. I mean that's the idea of wanting to do the SMP program, is to strengthen your app. I also thought I'd give it a shot and I bombed :boom:my MCAT last year. However I retook it a few weeks ago.
On the same note, I was told by another program that my application is under review and I will know something by Friday.
So I'll Wait :corny:

Did you also apply to the program at TTU? I'm in undergrad there and I've heard the SMP they have is basically a shoe-in to their medical school (MD)
I just called the graduate office and they said that they're sending out interviews and denials all this week up until monday:nailbiting:

Accepted 3/27/2019 at 10:40am by email
Application submitted 2/25, had an issue with LORs that I emailed them about and they responded/and updated my status 3/13/2019 that they got them.

For people waiting for the next wave, I must accept before 8:00 a.m. CDT on April 10, 2019.

DAT 20 aa/20 ts/20 pat, no score below 19
tmdsas gpa 3.46
tmdsas bcpm gpa 3.31
first generation student, over represented minority

I will be accepting, attempting to find affordable housing, and am looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
Did you also apply to the program at TTU? I'm in undergrad there and I've heard the SMP they have is basically a shoe-in to their medical school (MD)
I just called the graduate office and they said that they're sending out interviews and denials all this week up until monday:nailbiting:

You know, I was going to apply to their Post Bacc program in El Paso, but when I called one admissions counselor advised me to not apply b/c it's typically for people who would have been accepted to their MD program anyway (those with the MCAT & uGPA) but just didn't make it.
I talked to another counselor during the AAMC's virtual fair, and she was a bit taken back from what the other counselor informed me. I also considered their Master's Program since I have so many credits being that I have an AA and a BS but I don't want to do a 2 yr program (if I'm being honest with myself).

Accepted 3/27/2019 at 10:40am by email
Application submitted 2/25, had an issue with LORs that I emailed them about and they responded/and updated my status 3/13/2019 that they got them.

For people waiting for the next wave, I must accept before 8:00 a.m. CDT on April 10, 2019.

DAT 20 aa/20 ts/20 pat, no score below 19
tmdsas gpa 3.46
tmdsas bcpm gpa 3.31
first generation student, over represented minority

I will be accepting, attempting to find affordable housing, and am looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Congratulations!! :claps:

Texas Tech's Med Sci interview invites were sent out this morning for anyone interested in that program in Lubbock. Best of luck to everyone!

Do you guys know if they send out acceptances/rejections at the same time in one batch? Or is it throughout the day? I'm so nervous because I haven't heard anything today and someone else on here did.

Do you guys know if they send out acceptances/rejections at the same time in one batch? Or is it throughout the day? I'm so nervous because I haven't heard anything today and someone else on here did.

I did see one post where they sent out acceptances at two different times during the same day. That’s what I'm hoping for too though. Best of luck @crangel

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, are classes recorded? Is there a dress code standard?

For my class, they were not recorded. Powerpoints were released, though.
You are allowed to record lectures (provided you confirm it with the professor).

No dress code was seriously reinforced. Don't walk in with a two-piece, though. I generally just did t-shirt/shorts/sweats on most days. Scrubs are required for anatomy lab.

ACCEPTED! Received the email at 1:28 today. Application completed on 2-13-19
MCAT 509
GPA 3.33
Must accept by April 10th

Reactions: 4 users
Well I wish I wasn’t saying this, but we can’t be biased and just post the acceptances. I got a rejection email. Hurt like hell. Needless to say, I cried a river, but I’ll be okay. They did offer to review my app with me in June so I’ll do that. Hopefully I have better luck getting in somewhere else. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Edit: forgot to include my stats

cGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 497

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Well I wish I wasn’t saying this, but we can’t be biased and just post the acceptances. I got a rejection email. Hurt like hell. Needless to say, I cried a river, but I’ll be okay. They did offer to review my app with me in June so I’ll do that. Hopefully I have better luck getting in somewhere else. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
I'm sorry to hear this. I've been cheering for you. Good luck in your endeavors.

I also received a rejection email today. I wish everyone else still waiting the best of luck!

Got my rejection email. Needless to say I am crushed. I will do the file review in June as well. Not quite sure where to turn now. I was hoping this program would it for me.
STATS

501 MCAT
2.856 uGPA

Got my rejection email. Needless to say I am crushed. I will do the file review in June as well. Not quite sure where to turn now. I was hoping this program would it for me.
STATS

501 MCAT
2.856 uGPA

Same. I shouldn’t have put my hopes up so much, cause that made the rejection sting more.
But oh well. Pity party today (wanna join? :banana: ), back to the grind tomorrow! Wish you the best! Hope you get in somewhere else!

Does anyone know if this is the end to this wave (aka waiting again until April 10th to hear something back)?

Congratulations to all who got their acceptances today and keep your head up for those of you who got rejected. Remember, we've made it this far, so trust in the process!:highfive:

Does anyone know if this is the end to this wave (aka waiting again until April 10th to hear something back)?

I was wondering the same thing. I've been on edge since I submitted my app. I read in previous forums that some people didn't find out until late April and one guy even got his acceptance in early May...

@Lucky_Charms_3 , @BigBigFaith_55 faith,@bunnyrabbit3

I'm sorry that you didn't get in this cycle. However, don't give up . It's very important you work on your shortcomings, and apply to more programs or even go out and look for programs that have apps still open for the Fall Semester. I for one will say that I'm not convinced that I will land a seat in UNTHSC program, but I guarantee my app is submitted and I'm hopeful. However I backed that up with a few other apps outside of Texas. Thus far, nothing has apprehended me nor deprived me from my goals and I refuse to start now, and I've had some up hill battles. It's no cake walk.

:banana:Congratulations to those who have received their acceptance. :thumbup:

MCAT 485

Hey there, same stats, except ~3.45 GPA, I applied in late Jan, but feeling iffy as of now.

Edit: forgot to include my stats

cGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 497
We have almost same stats, except your mcat is 12 points higher than mine, I def bombed it. So sorry to hear though, I dont feel like I will get in either, but its hard nevertheless. Best of luck.

What is a typical day like as far as classes and studying? Are weekends mostly study as well?

Class schedule is variable - a long day would normally run from 8a to 3p, meanwhile a short day would be 8-10a . I was successful in not attending class and studying about 4-5 hours a day and taking Friday nights and Saturdays off assuming there was no exam on Monday or Tuesday the following week.

Accepted! Applied the day of the deadline.
3.4, 511.

Seems like those with higher MCAT scores are getting admitted, while those with lower end MCAT are getting rejected/waitlist.

Class schedule is variable - a long day would normally run from 8a to 3p, meanwhile a short day would be 8-10a . I was successful in not attending class and studying about 4-5 hours a day and taking Friday nights and Saturdays off assuming there was no exam on Monday or Tuesday the following week.
So a follow up question about studying. I haven't seen anything about textbooks that will be purchased. I'm assuming most of the material just comes from powerpoints and lectures?

So a follow up question about studying. I haven't seen anything about textbooks that will be purchased. I'm assuming most of the material just comes from powerpoints and lectures?
(Things might've changed since '17-18)
-Biostats uses online resources
-Everything else is via powerpoint/lectures
-Would recommend supplementing certain classes with outside information, particularly Anatomy (Rohen's Anatomy is fantastic), but not necessary by any means

Also, are classes recorded? Is there a dress code standard?
Hey, current student here.

I think how much time you need to spend studying is hugely variable. We have people in this program from really strong, research-heavy schools with strong STEM programs, and we have people with theater degrees from tiny liberal arts colleges, and everything in between. So YMMV big time. I generally study every weekday for a few hours, but nothing that feels punitive, if that makes sense. Maybe 3 - 4 hours a day. I went to a big state school with amazing science classes so that's helped. Try not to model on someone's else's experience too much. Start off studying more than you think you need, and then adjust from there, but don't think that there's a "right amount" of study. Also, what the faculty tell you a class will be like may or may not align with your experience in that class. For example, the program director Dr Gwirtz famously likes to say that the biochem class in the fall is "two semesters of undergrad biochem in 6 weeks". Scary, right? In my experience, Med Sci biochem covered less material than my biochem for non-biochem majors class at my undergrad. This obviously won't be true for everyone - I'm not saying she's lying, just that the rigor and depth won't be as equally challenging for everyone based on their undergrad institution, so try not to get psyched out. The only thing especially challenging was the pace - we covered all of metabolism, soup to nuts, in about two weeks. But it's good to get used to that pace.

The classes will *probably* continue to be recorded. This semester all of our lectures have been captured by Mediasite, which lets you watch and listen to the lecture at home with really excellent quality. It's amazing. I use it every day. They didn't have it for the fall, but since it's being consistently used now and the medical students use it as well, I hope it stays, it's an incredible tool. To that end, if you feel comfortable doing so, I don't think there's anything wrong with not going to the classes and watching lectures on Mediasite. I personally get way more out of that approach bc I can rewind as much as I need to until I get the concepts. But to each their own. We have people in this program who are balancing school with parenting, caring for a sick parent, and other big life stressors, so the flexibility offered by Mediasite is a lifesaver.

No dress code. We're all in leggings and sneakers and ballcaps every day. Only example of a dress code is that you have to wear scrubs and close-toe shoes in the anatomy lab, which is spring semester. But that's pretty standard. No required colors or anything, just whatever you have.

Books aren't commonly purchased. All of the texts can be accessed through the library's online resources for free. Also, so far no professor has really used the texts as anything other than a reference, so if you study the lecture materials well you've seen all of the testable material. The only exception to this is that we had to buy the text for epidemiology, medical ethics, and honestly you should buy a copy of Netter's Anatomy. Probably also the histology text for the images. However, the epi class is apparently changing in some significant way starting next year (the course director stepped down), and the medical ethics book is called The Brewsters, and you can get it on Apple Books for like, $20 or so. I suggest getting a bound copy of Netter's so you can haul it into the anatomy lab if you're so inclined, but also bc it'll be needed again in medical school.

Lmk if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey there, same stats, except ~3.45 GPA, I applied in late Jan, but feeling iffy as of now.

Same bro. I’ll keep you in my prayers and all we can do is hope for the best. Any other programs you applied to

Hey everyone! Just wanted to drop by and say that I know it's torture waiting for an acceptance, (been there) but honestly try not to get hung up on it. There's no consistent pattern to how they send out acceptances/rejections. Some people get accepted a couple of days after applying, for others it's more than a month. Just know that there really, genuinely, isn't a pattern to it. And if you don't get in, this isn't the end of your story. The class gets more competitive every year. Regroup, give yourself some TLC, and move on. Best of luck to all of you.

I think how much time you need to spend studying is hugely variable. We have people in this program from really strong, research-heavy schools with strong STEM programs, and we have people with theater degrees from tiny liberal arts colleges, and everything in between. So YMMV big time. I generally study every weekday for a few hours, but nothing that feels punitive, if that makes sense. Maybe 3 - 4 hours a day. I went to a big state school with amazing science classes so that's helped. Try not to model on someone's else's experience too much. Start off studying more than you think you need, and then adjust from there, but don't think that there's a "right amount" of study. Also, what the faculty tell you a class will be like may or may not align with your experience in that class. For example, the program director Dr Gwirtz famously likes to say that the biochem class in the fall is "two semesters of undergrad biochem in 6 weeks". Scary, right? In my experience, Med Sci biochem covered less material than my biochem for non-biochem majors class at my undergrad. This obviously won't be true for everyone - I'm not saying she's lying, just that the rigor and depth won't be as equally challenging for everyone based on their undergrad institution, so try not to get psyched out. The only thing especially challenging was the pace - we covered all of metabolism, soup to nuts, in about two weeks. But it's good to get used to that pace.

The classes will *probably* continue to be recorded. This semester all of our lectures have been captured by Mediasite, which lets you watch and listen to the lecture at home with really excellent quality. It's amazing. I use it every day. They didn't have it for the fall, but since it's being consistently used now and the medical students use it as well, I hope it stays, it's an incredible tool. To that end, if you feel comfortable doing so, I don't think there's anything wrong with not going to the classes and watching lectures on Mediasite. I personally get way more out of that approach bc I can rewind as much as I need to until I get the concepts. But to each their own. We have people in this program who are balancing school with parenting, caring for a sick parent, and other big life stressors, so the flexibility offered by Mediasite is a lifesaver.

No dress code. We're all in leggings and sneakers and ballcaps every day. Only example of a dress code is that you have to wear scrubs and close-toe shoes in the anatomy lab, which is spring semester. But that's pretty standard. No required colors or anything, just whatever you have.

Books aren't commonly purchased. All of the texts can be accessed through the library's online resources for free. Also, so far no professor has really used the texts as anything other than a reference, so if you study the lecture materials well you've seen all of the testable material. The only exception to this is that we had to buy the text for epidemiology, medical ethics, and honestly you should buy a copy of Netter's Anatomy. Probably also the histology text for the images. However, the epi class is apparently changing in some significant way starting next year (the course director stepped down), and the medical ethics book is called The Brewsters, and you can get it on Apple Books for like, $20 or so. I suggest getting a bound copy of Netter's so you can haul it into the anatomy lab if you're so inclined, but also bc it'll be needed again in medical school.

Thank you so much for your thorough feedback! And thank you to all the other current and past med sci students who have also made comments.

Has anyone heard any more follow up information on the tech package for this coming year?

Thank you so much, your answer is very through! I have one question about the optional biochem class over the Summer. If it's optional, does that mean it's not graded or is it graded? And if you did it, how was the format and would you recommend it?

they said on the fb page that it isnt finalized yet
How many people are on the FB page now? I'm wondering how many people have accepted their offer and how many seats are left...

How many people are on the FB page now? I'm wondering how many people have accepted their offer and how many seats are left...

75 students and 2 moderators. I think there is still a ton of spots left!

Thank you so much, your answer is very through! I have one question about the optional biochem class over the Summer. If it's optional, does that mean it's not graded or is it graded? And if you did it, how was the format and would you recommend it?

The optional biochem class in the summer is pass/fail. I didn't do it, but most of the people I spoke to who did do it found it kinda underwhelming in terms of its difficulty. I think it's best for people who a). are terrified of biochem and need a confidence boost before the fall b). bombed biochem in undergrad, c). haven't taken biochem at all, or d). want a timely refresher if they plan to take the MCAT in late summer/early fall. Just my two cents.

Same bro. I’ll keep you in my prayers and all we can do is hope for the best. Any other programs you applied to
Hey there. Unfortunately did not apply anywhere else, as I only wanted this one cause it’s less than an hour from me. If I don’t get in I’ll definitely use summer for mcat and maybe retake my gen chem 2 and ochem 1 at cc due to C grades. I’m sure whatever happens will be for the best though.

they said on the fb page that it isnt finalized yet
The various people on the tech package committee had to cast their vote this week, so y'all should know soon. It sounds like the strong favorite was the MacBook Pro 13" again, which is what we have right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the MCAT prep course included with tuition? and how helpful is it?

What’s the tech package? They recommend that we get a certain kind of laptop? Does it include an IPad? Should I hold off on buying a new laptop if they’ll give us one later?

Last edited: