UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how we will be notified on whether we're accepted/rejected/ waitlisted? Will we receive an email or will it just be an update in our portal?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how we will be notified on whether we're accepted/rejected/ waitlisted? Will we receive an email or will it just be an update in our portal?

Based on previous years, it seems to be updated in the portal and emailed.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how the Coronavirus is affecting the school and if it will delay admissions ect. ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the Coronavirus is affecting the school and if it will delay admissions ect. ?
That’s a good question. It’s already been 3 weeks of “application under review” status for some of us and still no updates. That seems like a long time don’t y’all think? I’m getting really anxious and also wondering what the status will be on classes starting in late may for those of who end up attending.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, this was posted on their facebook
F663D65B-BAE9-4BB9-8F49-D41315EC48D0.jpeg

When is the latest we'll hear back?

When is the latest we'll hear back?
In the past I think people were still hearing until early May. But they were also already getting responses by now too so it’s weird there haven’t been any updates yet.

I submitted my app back in November, and mine is still saying “submitted” under status. As far as I am aware, there has been no change.

I submitted my app back in November, and mine is still saying “submitted” under status. As far as I am aware, there has been no change.
yours doesn't say "application is under review"?

On Friday, my to do list was finally cleared so they finally processed my transcript even though it was transmitted weeks ago. My portal says “complete” now. I don’t know if that further along than “submitted” but it’s probably still too early for mine to be “under review”

Wait that's weird. my application was considered complete around New Years. When everything got turned in. and Switch to "Under Review" in Late February.
Yeah I know :/
Like I submitted really early. I emailed them my documents and they replied back that my application had been submitted. I also have a reoccuring problem where I receive an error message when I try to log onto the server so I can’t even check as often as I’d like.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Super annoying....

Members don't see this ad :)
Did yours change from “submitted” to “complete” to “under review”?
I believe mine went from “incomplete” (While I waited for them to update my to-do list for a rec letter), then “complete” then “under review”. I submitted everything late December, and all my additional documents were accounted for by mid January, then it was under review by February 21st.

Yeah I know :/
Like I submitted really early. I emailed them my documents and they replied back that my application had been submitted. I also have a reoccuring problem where I receive an error message when I try to log onto the server so I can’t even check as often as I’d like.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Super annoying....
So I had an issue where they didn't file my documents onto my name. I figured that out when I called them asking them about why my application was "incomplete" with an empty to-do list. They also didn't file all my Letter of Recommendations, Transcripts, and Updated Test Scores. They also lost one of my letter of recommendation when it was electronically sent (they must be having issues technically). However, I called 5 times to get it settled - none at which the person on the phone had really helped. Then I finally emailed them about the issue around Late January - and got it figured out. TBH Its better to bother them to get things right then to wait and have your app reviewed late. It may be annoying to them, but they really need to do their job, especially if it takes them 5 calls and not correcting the issue until an email.

Reactions: 2 users
So I had an issue where they didn't file my documents onto my name. I figured that out when I called them asking them about why my application was "incomplete" with an empty to-do list. They also didn't file all my Letter of Recommendations, Transcripts, and Updated Test Scores. They also lost one of my letter of recommendation when it was electronically sent (they must be having issues technically). However, I called 5 times to get it settled - none at which the person on the phone had really helped. Then I finally emailed them about the issue around Late January - and got it figured out. TBH Its better to bother them to get things right then to wait and have your app reviewed late. It may be annoying to them, but they really need to do their job, especially if it takes them 5 calls and not correcting the issue until an email.
Ok I’ll keep pressing with emails and will call them today. They haven’t responded yet! I’ll keep y’all posted, I hope it’s not too extreme like your situation

So I just received an email from them regarding my application. Apparently one of my recommendation letters was never uploaded, just the reference (?). I’ve contacted my university’s HPAC to remedy it and send it their way. Really disheartening to see that my application was incomplete this entire time.
They also told me my log in error was likely a cache/browser issue.
Anyway, it was unfortunate but I hope everything is okay now? I’m an early applicant type person so now I’m really on edge. We will see though!

Hey everyone. I submitted on 2/3. Fully complete 2/19. I just emailed them because my status has remained as "application is complete" for the past month. They responded saying that my app is in review, and that I will be notified of a decision soon. So my guess is they have not been updating the portal. Just thought i'd share with everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
So looking at last year's thread seems like they send acceptances out the beginning of the week. Fingers crossed we start seeing some movement shortly.

Nothing yet, my status is still, "Application is completed." I don't think we will hear back until April.
That’s crazy!!! And for that to be just the first wave of acceptances.

Nothing yet, my status is still, "Application is completed." I don't think we will hear back until April.
Same here! My status hasn't changed. But also it was completed on March 11th so my app probably wont be reviewed till later on

I emailed them asking how delayed decisions will be given the pandemic but they just said they’re reviewing stuff right now and to check the portal so the answer wasn’t very helpful...

Their process/technology is very frustrating. My recommenders all uploaded the LORs in February through the link they received and they only received one. I kept emailing them to see why the other two weren't uploaded and they kept telling me to wait a couple of days to see if it was processed in the portal. It took like 3 weeks for them to tell me they only received one letter (after I constantly emailed them to see if I needed to re-submit) and that I needed to submit my other one to be complete (acting like I was somehow not aware of the deadlines). It was very frustrating because I kept telling them I would be more than happy to ask my professors to re-upload them and they waited 3 weeks until like 2 days before the supplemental items deadline to tell me that. My profs had to email them my letter to make sure they get it and they finally accepted it. I understand that a lot of applications are sent in at certain times, but waiting 3 weeks and dodging my emails was very frustrating. My application was completed once my prof emailed them and hasn't changed since then.

We probably won't hear back until the end of April.

I was complete around the end of January. Still waiting to switch to "under review"

Reactions: 3 users
I’m definitely getting ahead of myself, but does anyone know the dates for the classes in the summer? I know that if our Mcat is below 508 we’re enrolled in the MCAT course. Does anyone know when that course will end? I’m considering signing up for the exam August 1st

I’m definitely getting ahead of myself, but does anyone know the dates for the classes in the summer? I know that if our Mcat is below 508 we’re enrolled in the MCAT course. Does anyone know when that course will end? I’m considering signing up for the exam August 1st

I was gonna ask the same thing. I feel so anxious not having a test date yet especially because with covid-19 alllllll the people signed up for March/April test are gonna have to reschedule to these summer months that we are looking at. Even more so, what test site would you sign up for? Since we don’t know where we will be, I’m really conflicted. I live in San Antonio so it’s not terribly far from FTW but it’s also not a casual drive.

our MCAT prep technically ended Aug 2nd-3rd and was our last day before our 2 week summer break

but you are allowed a small number of "absences" from the mcat class so if you definitely wanted to take it Aug 1 that's probably fine

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.10.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.10.33 PM.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: 3 users
our MCAT prep technically ended Aug 2nd-3rd and was our last day before our 2 week summer break

but you are allowed a small number of "absences" from the mcat class so if you definitely wanted to take it Aug 1 that's probably fine

thank you!

I completed my application on January 26th and all of my supporting documents were submitted by February 10th. My portal has marked my application status complete but it has not changed since. I called the office on March 25th and they informed my that my application is just now being reviewed and that I will have a decision within a few weeks.

I was gonna ask the same thing. I feel so anxious not having a test date yet especially because with covid-19 alllllll the people signed up for March/April test are gonna have to reschedule to these summer months that we are looking at. Even more so, what test site would you sign up for? Since we don’t know where we will be, I’m really conflicted. I live in San Antonio so it’s not terribly far from FTW but it’s also not a casual drive.

I’m probably going to sign up for in my hometown in the Houston area just to be safe & maybe try to move it to Fort Worth if I get in

I have also been wondering if the coronavirus is effecting the application process and program review by admissions committee. I have submitted all of my documents awhile back ago and did no hear from them or did not see any changes to my portal so I emailed them and I was told that my "application has been completed and will still be reviewed since we review completed applications through the end of April. Once a final decision is made you will be notified by e-mail." However, my portal still says "application is complete" and has not changed to “under review” so I am not sure. Seems like no one has heard from them and there hasn't been a clear answer from them.
I guarantee you this is true. They are definitely affected. Many that are on the admissions committee are working like crazy to effectively transition our program right now all online and it's been a nightmare. They are doing very well though, but I'm sure they are a little preoccupied lol

I have also been wondering if the coronavirus is effecting the application process and program review by admissions committee. I have submitted all of my documents awhile back ago and did no hear from them or did not see any changes to my portal so I emailed them and I was told that my "application has been completed and will still be reviewed since we review completed applications through the end of April. Once a final decision is made you will be notified by e-mail." However, my portal still says "application is complete" and has not changed to “under review” so I am not sure. Seems like no one has heard from them and there hasn't been a clear answer from them.
I contacted them today via email and they said they are currently reviewing applications. I just wonder when they’ll send the 1st batch of decisions out.

Hey everyone. I was in this program several years ago. Now about to graduate medical school. The education you get isn't bad but it's not exactly great either. That said, I'd 100% do this program again in a heartbeat. It's a really great foot in the door for getting into medical school. Plus Fort Worth is a GREAT place to live for a year. Just throwing a ballpark number out there but I'd say 85-90% of my class ended up getting into medical/dental/PA school somewhere. We had people match Baylor, UTSW, UTHSCSA, UTH, A&M, etc. Lots of DO matches too, but I know people from those DO schools loved their experiences (myself included) and some of us DO's have now matched to pretty prestigious programs like Baylor and UTSW. You won't regret being in the med sci program. Met some of my best friends there and thought it was probably the best thing I could have done for a gap year. Best of luck to all the kids starting this summer!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Hey guys, I just checked my application status and it says "application is under review" in the portal. I turned in my app 1/22 and my last letter of rec went in 1/29. This must have changed sometime this morning because yesterday it still said "complete".

Hey guys, I just checked my application status and it says "application is under review" in the portal. I turned in my app 1/22 and my last letter of rec went in 1/29. This must have changed sometime this morning because yesterday it still said "complete".
My application also changed to “under review.” I checked this morning and it said “complete” so I believe this is the next batch of admission reviews.

move heard that people who were in the first batch has not heard anything yet and it’s been 3 weeks for them. Hopefully, it doesn’t take as long.

For the first round it’s been 5 weeks awaiting a response !!

I'm in the first batch and have not heard anything for 5 weeks. COVID-19 probably delaying everything.

My application went from complete to under review in the past few hours! My application was submitted on 2/24 and my last letter of rec was received on 2/28.

Mine also changed yesterday from "completed" to "application under review" yesterday. I'm probably the last batch. I turned in everything on 2/28 with nothing listed on the "to do" list. However, I have no idea if my supplemental documents have actually been received and haven't reached out to confirm since they are very backed up. We will see..

Has anyone else who submitted earlier not had their status change? My application has still only been marked complete, and not been sent in for review. I submitted on 01/08, and my status changed to complete on 01/15.

Has anyone else who submitted earlier not had their status change? My application has still only been marked complete, and not been sent in for review. I submitted on 01/08, and my status changed to complete on 01/15.
Email them. Same happened to me and I got the issue resolved and my status changed.

Email them. Same happened to me and I got the issue resolved and my status changed.

I did email them earlier today and I received a response. They said that they are still in the process of preparing my application for review. They mentioned that they have received all of the required documents for my app. They also said that at this point, they don't have a final date for when all decisions will be released.

Sooooo many questions.. Do y’all think this is covid related or something the had been planning more longterm? Also do y’all think this can increase the number of admitted applicants?