UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back?

Nope. I don't think it's going to be so predictable. Maybe another few days, maybe the end of the week, maybe not until next week?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone's app still says "complete"? mine said that since 2/25. I am kinda worried now :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone's app still says "complete"? mine said that since 2/25. I am kinda worried now :(
mine does! Dont worry. I emailed admissions. They said if it says complete, the adcomms are soon reviewing it!

Reactions: 2 users
My application still says it is incomplete but I have no pending task. I have submitted everything. Getting anxious. Hopefully, we will hear something from them soon.

My application still says it is incomplete but I have no pending task. I have submitted everything. Getting anxious. Hopefully, we will hear something from them soon.
You should email them. It should say complete by now. I thought I submitted everything a while back and it was incomplete for weeks in February. Turns out that they lost one of my LORs. So it is best to email them because they have to manually check off everything for each application, so something might have gone wrong.

You should email them. It should say complete by now. I thought I submitted everything a while back and it was incomplete for weeks in February. Turns out that they lost one of my LORs. So it is best to email them because they have to manually check off everything for each application, so something might have gone wrong.
I emailed them but haven't heard anything back. I guess I should send them a follow-up email now.

I emailed them but haven't heard anything back. I guess I should send them a follow-up email now.
Yea. You should probably call first. If they don't answer, email them. I got a quick response last Friday just checking on when my app would change from complete to under review.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea. You should probably call first. If they don't answer, email them. I got a quick response last Friday just checking on when my app would change from complete to under review.
Called them yesterday and it went directly to voicemail. I just sent a follow-up email. Finger crossed!

I received an email back from them saying my file is complete and under review already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they change your status already?
Nope, my status still says incomplete but I received an email saying my file is complete and it has been prepared for review.

Hey guys! Current med sci student here. I just wanted to say I’m more than happy to help answer any questions you have about the program. I know the waiting game is tough (I wasn’t accepted until the last week of April) but hang in there.

Best of luck and stay safe!

Hey guys! Current med sci student here. I just wanted to say I’m more than happy to help answer any questions you have about the program. I know the waiting game is tough (I wasn’t accepted until the last week of April) but hang in there.

Best of luck and stay safe!
have you already applied/been through a cycle of med school apps? Or is this upcoming year when you will apply?

have you already applied/been through a cycle of med school apps? Or is this upcoming year when you will apply?
I’ll be applying this upcoming cycle. I decided to wait so I had a full year of grades to show. But I know a lot of people who applied during the program and got in!

Rejected 10 mins ago. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejected 10 mins ago. Good luck to everyone else!
Sorry to hear that. I'm not feeling to confident either right now. Was supposed to have academic fresh start applied towards my GPA but the CC I took a class at wasn't familiar with the program and couldn't get everything together in time. Hopefully I still get in and can get the academic fresh start done in time for the TMDSAS. Either way will probably be applying for med school this semester.

Sorry to hear that. I'm not feeling to confident either right now. Was supposed to have academic fresh start applied towards my GPA but the CC I took a class at wasn't familiar with the program and couldn't get everything together in time. Hopefully I still get in and can get the academic fresh start done in time for the TMDSAS. Either way will probably be applying for med school this semester.
Thank you. They've opened up applications for the online program now so that's also an option! But hopefully you wont have to do that.

Thank you. They've opened up applications for the online program now so that's also an option! But hopefully you wont have to do that.
I feel like what's holding back my application beyond the obvious GPA issue is being non-trad and being out of school for some years. I think I would benefit from the in-person relationship with professors and possibly doing research too.

What's the plan now for you? I know they do application reviews in June.

For this who've been rejected when was your application completed? Just trying to figure out if there's a method to their review process.

I feel like what's holding back my application beyond the obvious GPA issue is being non-trad and being out of school for some years. I think I would benefit from the in-person relationship with professors and possibly doing research too.

For this who've been rejected when was your application completed? Just trying to figure out if there's a method to their review process.
I was completed around 12/20. From my understanding, the school is unforgiving towards students who are reapplicants/have taken the MCAT 2 or more times. There were quite a few people with lower stats than mine who were accepted in the first batch so obviously I am sure recs/essays played a decent role as well - but I think being a reapplicant did not help my chances even though I had a near 15 point increase in MCAT. Good luck to the rest of you all!

The way they review the apps is interesting. Im guessing today was one of the rejection email days. There was a variety of submissions dates from December to up to first week of March. It makes me wonder if they have reviewed the majority of us and are just sorting us out. I hope the rest of us all hear back soon! Anticipation is killing me. I just want to know what I will be doing during my gap year. Goodluck to everyone!

The way they review the apps is interesting. Im guessing today was one of the rejection email days. There was a variety of submissions dates from December to up to first week of March. It makes me wonder if they have reviewed the majority of us and are just sorting us out. I hope the rest of us all hear back soon! Anticipation is killing me. I just want to know what I will be doing during my gap year. Goodluck to everyone!
Same! I'm awaiting to apply to other places cause this is the cheapest one by far. Combine this with the whole COVID thing, my lease being up in a month and not even knowing of schools will be back full time is frustrating. If it was only me I'd be ok, but my wife has a career too. I need to take her in to account. Almost tempted to just say screw it and take another year off. Kinda frustrating that they only let the admitted students know that summer is 100% online now too. I feel like that should r been something that was posted on their website.

I was also rejected today, and I was completed I believe late November/early December. I got into a program in Cali, so I’ll probably be going there unless I hear back from the TTU El Paso program before then. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

I’ll be applying this upcoming cycle. I decided to wait so I had a full year of grades to show. But I know a lot of people who applied during the program and got in!
Since you decided to wait until completion of the Med Sci Program...will you have a gap year now.

I was also rejected today, and I was completed I believe late November/early December. I got into a program in Cali, so I’ll probably be going there unless I hear back from the TTU El Paso program before then. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
Do you mind sharing stats?

I was completed around 12/20. From my understanding, the school is unforgiving towards students who are reapplicants/have taken the MCAT 2 or more times. There were quite a few people with lower stats than mine who were accepted in the first batch so obviously I am sure recs/essays played a decent role as well - but I think being a reapplicant did not help my chances even though I had a near 15 point increase in MCAT. Good luck to the rest of you all!
Do you mind sharing your stats?

It's not really "awesome", @Awesome! to ask 4 people in a row who have just been turned down what their stats were.
If they want to share they will, but let's be sympathetic.
Agree. Only if they want to.
Since there is no published stats range of admitted class that I have come across, so I ask. Do not intend to offend anyone or make anyone uncomfortable.
This is an arduous journey and I wish everyone’s hard work is paid off and dreams fulfilled.

Last edited:

@USN2MD is right, this program will do a file review with you in June if you weren't accepted. Request it according to their instructions:
Q: I just received a denial letter. What do I do now?

A: Our best advice is to make an appointment with our office for a file review. Based on the committee’s comments, we can give you very specific advice for improving your application to our program for next year. We conduct file reviews in the month of June. If you wish to participate in a file review, please follow the instructions on your decision letter for scheduling an appointment.

Rejected yesterday as well. Still waiting on TTHSC El Paso, but good luck to the rest of you! My stats were 3.01 cGPA, 505 MCAT, 100s of hours of shadowing, volunteering, and 3 research publications.

Rejected yesterday as well. Still waiting on TTHSC El Paso, but good luck to the rest of you! My stats were 3.01 cGPA, 505 MCAT, 100s of hours of shadowing, volunteering, and 3 research publications.
Oh no! I am so sorry. When were you complete?

Oh no! I am so sorry. When were you complete?
My situation was a little different, but basically I submitted on 1/9 and they received all items on 1/24. My status in the portal though said "application received" for the longest time until I emailed them in late March to ask if my application was even complete or not, and then they updated my status in the portal a day later.

Just got accepted!!!!! Email came in five mins ago

GPA: 2.51
MCAT: 511

I know the GPA is terrible, like I said I'm working on getting the academic fresh start applied to my GPA which raises it to 3.29. Also I think I have lots of ECs (AD military five years, reserves past five, did medical job in the military, countless patient hours due to that being my full time job). I'm excited to meet everyone in the fall!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Just received an email that I've been accepted at 6:49 PM!

Submitted: 02/23/2020
Completed: 03/02/2020 (after I emailed them to see if they had received my 2nd LOR)
GPA: 3.39
DAT: 20AA

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted at 6:49 as well!

Submitted: 03/01 (very late)
Completed: 03/12
GPA: 3.40
MCAT 503

Very excited! Deciding between this program and one at Tulane. Does anyone have any advice?

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted at 6:49 PM also

Submitted: 2/28
Completed: 3/12 around (but everything was submitted to them 2/28 it just took them time to process my transcript)

GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 511

Super excited to finally go back to school of some sort

EDIT: summer is completely online, orientation June 3-5, my decision is due April 27, my application went straight from “completed” to “accepted” so it skipped the “under review” phase

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted at 6:49 as well!

Submitted: 03/01 (very late)
Completed: 03/12
GPA: 3.40
MCAT 503

Very excited! Deciding between this program and one at Tulane. Does anyone have any advice?
What program at Tulane? Heard quality varies greatly between the department you get into.

Also submitted 2/18 completed 3/11 for those wondering. In my excitement I left that out.

ACCEPTED!!

:happy:
Submitted February 26th. They received my "lost" LOR to be complete by March 10th!
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 503

I'm so excited!! If I get into the Texas Tech El Paso post-bacc, I will be attending that one rather than this!! Goodluck everyone else!!

Reactions: 7 users