UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really hope it's at least the 256GB but the fact that a external HDD is included makes me feel like it will be the 128GB. And it looks like as of 2020 the new MacBook pro SSD is now soldered on so can't upgrade it.
Soldered on? Boooo. I want customization :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys did anyone else application just disappear? I checked today and it just says no active application.

Great stuff just wanted to add couple more that I thought were helpful.

MCAT prep is M-F 2-5. Biochem is prerecorded. Stats is module based with some live group activities and wrap-ups. Health Disparity class will be live conference style.
MCAT exam is an excused absence from school.
If not applying till next year take MCAT in May of 2021, MCAT prep course materials will still be available till then.
Tech package has 4 year warranty with theft protection, that's probably big reason for the cost .
There will be resources for those new to Mac OS as well as "skin" to make it more like windows for those who have never touched a mac.
TMDSAS has field to indicate you are in the program when filling out applications.
Can get doctors/dentists on the approved list if not there already. More info about that will be supplied on process, sounds like they just check to ensure the provider has a current license with no disciplinary measures against them.
They mentioned late July/early August will have a "lighter" schedule (think they mentioned due to conducting mock interviews). They mentioned this as time to complete 40 hr preceptorship requirement, but might want to consider this as time to move since they said mid-july would be latest they'd hope to announce if fall will have to be moved online.

I wasn't able to attend the Zoom meeting so I was hoping you could clarify:
The biostats and health disparity summer classes will be live meetings rather than podcasts to watch at our own leisure? I'm trying to continue working as a scribe over the summer and I need to give them my availability for the summer coming up :/ I need the course schedule to give my work as much notice as possible if I need to switch all my shifts to other times
(I plan on working bc I will be opting out of the MCAT class)

Members don't see this ad :)
The biostats and health disparity summer classes will be live meetings rather than podcasts to watch at our own leisure? I'm trying to continue working as a scribe over the summer and I need to give them my availability for the summer coming up :/ I need the course schedule to give my work as much notice as possible if I need to switch all my shifts to other times
I heard it was all pass or fail except biostats and that attendance is mandatory but I am not sure when classes are.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted last week! App completed around 2/28 with my last LOR received 3/10.

Not sure if this was asked yet, but do most people receive enough aid from FAFSA? Do you guys recommend applying for a Grad PLUS Loan, too? I live in Plano and was considering commuting, especially if most classes end up being online. If not, do y'all think it's feasible to commute? I wasn't sure if classes were mandatory and if those mandatory classes are everyday. I wanted to try and save money by living at home with my parents.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys did anyone else application just disappear? I checked today and it just says no active application.
Yes. Mine disappeared last week and i haven’t heard anything back. I emailed them but they just said that they have my application and it is being reviewed.

Good Luck!! If you want a list, I started making an excel sheet and list with a few out-of-state, pretty well known SMP programs that I can share. Hang in there!
I would love that list if you still have it!

Health disparities will be live with biostats having live group work. They said a schedule will be provided and they'll try to stick to it as much as possible.

Not sure if this was asked yet, but do most people receive enough aid from FAFSA? Do you guys recommend applying for a Grad PLUS Loan, too? I live in Plano and was considering commuting, especially if most classes end up being online. If not, do y'all think it's feasible to commute? I wasn't sure if classes were mandatory and if those mandatory classes are everyday. I wanted to try and save money by living at home with my parents.

Just looked how far Plano is from the campus. An hour each way sounds brutal, and that's without traffic. I imagine classes will probably be M-F too. I'm planning on living as close to campus as possible cause I know that extra time can be used for studying and makings meeting up for extra study sessions easier. I know the whole COVID thing is making it harder to plan. So what's the point of moving if the fall ends up being online. I'd say wait till the official announcement is made (they said mid-July hopefully) so you're not stuck signing a lease for no reason. You could then get a short-term lease for the spring semester, but you'd probably be paying more per month then if you just got a year lease this summer.

I drive for uber and I live in Fort Worth. Sometimes I get rides all the way to around Plano from here and the commute is not that fun. I'd do a couple of test drives to see if it's feasible. Don't forget to take into account the traffic you'll encounter.

Current med sci. Can't say how it will be for you guys 100% because it sounds like they are changing things up a little, but for us, biostats was 100% online but exams were in person at HSC. The only time we had to go to campus besides exams were for TBLs [for a class that was P/F] and if you were in the MCAT class. Hope that helps a little!

Accepted! Had to Email them this Friday morning about the status of my application, since everything was submitted by mid February and I hadn't heard anything. That same afternoon I got the acceptance email; thought it was just gonna be a response email but was pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted yesterday! Application status went from incomplete since submission on Feb 2 to "complete" and then accepted all within the day

Reactions: 2 users
Someone asked this earlier, current medsci student here. Even if you are happy with your 19 DAT score, if it doesn't meet the cut you still have to pay for the DAT prep courses. The same goes for the MCAT class over the summer. If anyone else has any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Someone else asked about working while in medsci. I know a personal friend that worked and was having a hard time keeping up with everything and also working. I personally wouldn't recommend it. I would focus on studying and doing well. These courses are much harder than undergrad and they are very fast-paced, I'm personally glad I didn't work.

I would say if you NEED to work, the best time to work would be over the summer. You will have a lot more free time over the summer especially if you aren't taking the MCAT/ DAT. Once the summer courses are over its a lot more fast-paced, I wouldn't work then.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you (or anyone else) know if the MCAT prep class came with AAMC material. I know the class itself is Princeton based, but sometimes they come with the official AAMC packages?

Thanks for your advice!

Yes, they come with the AAMC material that the Princeton Review course comes with. Multiple question banks and about 4 AAMC practice tests. You have access to this account through June at the end of the program, so people who want to take the MCAT after the program can still use these materials.

Good Luck!! If you want a list, I started making an excel sheet and list with a few out-of-state, pretty well known SMP programs that I can share. Hang in there!

I would really appreciate the list!

Someone asked this earlier, current medsci student here. Even if you are happy with your 19 DAT score, if it doesn't meet the cut you still have to pay for the DAT prep courses. The same goes for the MCAT class over the summer. If anyone else has any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Someone else asked about working while in medsci. I know a personal friend that worked and was having a hard time keeping up with everything and also working. I personally wouldn't recommend it. I would focus on studying and doing well. These courses are much harder than undergrad and they are very fast-paced, I'm personally glad I didn't work.

I would say if you NEED to work, the best time to work would be over the summer. You will have a lot more free time over the summer especially if you aren't taking the MCAT/ DAT. Once the summer courses are over its a lot more fast-paced, I wouldn't work then.
Since the DAT stuff is Princeton based, can i opt out of the prep course bc i have a 20AA. Can i just use DAT bootcamp and self study and retake it on my own?

Since the DAT stuff is Princeton based, can i opt out of the prep course bc i have a 20AA. Can i just use DAT bootcamp and self study and retake it on my own?
If you have a 20 AA I think you meet the cut and you don't need to retake the DAT at all this summer. You wouldn't need to even do the summer course DAT prep at all. Our year the cut off was a 20 AA, I'm pretty sure that's the same this year?
If you meet the cut off you don't have to take the Princeton course. If you don't meet the cut off you have to sign up and use the Princeton course its included in the package. If you'd want to use datbootcamp that would be an additional cost. Most students are up for splitting the cost and sharing though.

Is the cost of the prep course for the DAT/MCAT included in the 2-hour credit for the course or is it separate?

Hi guys! New to the thread here. Just got rejected from my last MD school I applied to and was curious about applying here. It looks like theres already been acceptances and most of the class might be filled, but I'm looking to apply to the online program (deadline is June 15th I believe). Anyone have any insight to the online program? I know it's new, but do you think it'll still be of help to apply to future DO/MD schools this cycle?

Said it once but I'll echo it again. Avoid working if you can. Just pull out the extra loans to cover what you need. It's not worth it to work and do school when you're in this program. What little you will make working is not worth it at the risk of falling behind in class.

As far as the tech package, I'm not sure what they'll roll out but usually the 256gb is the minimum. The one I got from 2015 came with 256gb. Also, I believe that was the last year you could actually replace the SSD. It is soldered on now like someone mentioned. I was lucky because I was able to upgrade my SSD to 1tb the other month.

The drive from Plano is doable but definitely annoying like someone mentioned. I have family in Plano and would visit them maybe once a month while in med sci. It was a super annoying drive for me and I didn't even make it that often. You probably won't NEED to be on campus much, but being close by can be very helpful especially if you plan on studying or socializing with others in your cohort.

Said it once but I'll echo it again. Avoid working if you can. Just pull out the extra loans to cover what you need. It's not worth it to work and do school when you're in this program. What little you will make working is not worth it at the risk of falling behind in class.

As far as the tech package, I'm not sure what they'll roll out but usually the 256gb is the minimum. The one I got from 2015 came with 256gb. Also, I believe that was the last year you could actually replace the SSD. It is soldered on now like someone mentioned. I was lucky because I was able to upgrade my SSD to 1tb the other month.

The drive from Plano is doable but definitely annoying like someone mentioned. I have family in Plano and would visit them maybe once a month while in med sci. It was a super annoying drive for me and I didn't even make it that often. You probably won't NEED to be on campus much, but being close by can be very helpful especially if you plan on studying or socializing with others in your cohort.
Are lectures on campus not mandatory? In one of our zoom meetings we were told to expect to be on campus 8-5 Monday through Friday.

Class is usually optional. When they are available (and if you feel like going), they will be held from 8-5, M-F. Otherwise you just study from home, the library, at a coffee shop, or whatever.

Is it possible to be out of town while taking the summer portion online? Somewhere along the lines of the beaches of Florida lol

accepted earlier today as well

Accepted today at 3:06 pm! I posted my stats earlier in the forum. Will most likely be giving up my seat as I've decided on another program, but I wish all the rest of y'all waiting the best of luck!!

Is it possible to be out of town while taking the summer portion online? Somewhere along the lines of the beaches of Florida lol
Tests are usually in person. Lately for this semester due to COVID, they have been online, not sure if that will continue over the summer. However, if I were you I would expect exams to be taken in person. Classes are optional to attend. Exams are mandatory

Hi guys! New to the thread here. Just got rejected from my last MD school I applied to and was curious about applying here. It looks like theres already been acceptances and most of the class might be filled, but I'm looking to apply to the online program (deadline is June 15th I believe). Anyone have any insight to the online program? I know it's new, but do you think it'll still be of help to apply to future DO/MD schools this cycle?

I am also considering applying to the online program. I am curious about this too.

For those of you who were accepted, will you be applying to medical schools during the program or after?

I'm feeling conflicted about it. I won't have the new grades to help my GPA along yet, so applying broadly doesn't seem wise. But I'm thinking about maybe applying to TCOM only, since I've heard they keep track of Med Sci students' performance...

I'm also not sure how I'd update my personal statement. The one I submitted last year for TMDSAS felt perfect, and drew on my most significant experiences. With the exception of adding a part-time restaurant job, I've pretty much just continued my activities from last cycle, so I don't really have any new experiences to draw on.

For those of you who were accepted, will you be applying to medical schools during the program or after?

I'm feeling conflicted about it. I won't have the new grades to help my GPA along yet, so applying broadly doesn't seem wise. But I'm thinking about maybe applying to TCOM only, since I've heard they keep track of Med Sci students' performance...

I'm also not sure how I'd update my personal statement. The one I submitted last year for TMDSAS felt perfect, and drew on my most significant experiences. With the exception of adding a part-time restaurant job, I've pretty much just continued my activities from last cycle, so I don't really have any new experiences to draw on.
I just read a post in the Facebook group by one of the OLs. Personally, if I attend this program, I will be applying after the program just because I would like as much options as possible. My biggest concern was the gap year I would have to take but I would be sooooo down to take a research position at the school for that year.

You have more options after graduating from the program if you did well and are looking to stay in-state. But if you don't mind your chances if getting into a school out of state I would recommend applying while you are in the program. During my year we had many many people stay in-state and if I remember correctly we had people match at every school in Texas except Baylor. Multiple matches to the big MD schools in state.

If I had the option to do in-person vs online I would 100% choose to do in person again. Everything is more convenient in person not to mention you'll make some really great friends who will support one another and make great memories with. I wasn't ever a fan of studying with other people, but it was always nice to know people who I could bounce ideas off of. Plus I was able to get to know faculty better face to face so I could ask for letters of recommendations. Of course, not everyone has the opportunity to do the in-person course but I would recommend that over 100% distance learning if possible. The connections you make in person are priceless.

Reactions: 3 users
I bought a new laptop 6 months ago. Does anybody have experience selling electronics nearby (DFW)? I hate that the tech pack is required, so I'll have to sell my current laptop. It's the 2018 Mac Air model with the SSD soldered on (512GB)

I bought a new laptop 6 months ago. Does anybody have experience selling electronics nearby (DFW)? I hate that the tech pack is required, so I'll have to sell my current laptop. It's the 2018 Mac Air model with the SSD soldered on (512GB)

You could try OfferUp, it is a mobile application where people can post, sell, and buy items.

Ah thank you. I'll try it. I just hear about scams and am scared of that.

That’s natural. You have to be vigilant about how you go through the process. You can look at some of the electronics listings to get a feel for how things are sold/offered. Be sure to hard reset the laptop beforehand and make the deal at a public space like a coffee shop.

Does anyone know where I can find a tentative calendar for the upcoming school year? I have no idea if one has been released yet. Even last years would be great!

Just got put on the wait list.

does your status say “not accepted at this time”? Mine has no letter on file so I’m unsure if it’s a rejection or if I’m being waitlisted

I'd try to sell it on craigslist, facebook marketplace, or offerup.

does your status say “not accepted at this time”? Mine has no letter on file so I’m unsure if it’s a rejection or if I’m being waitlisted

My status says “waitlist”. I also got an email from them letting me know I was placed on the waitlist.

I am relinquishing my acceptance from the UNTHSC M.S. program tomorrow because I received an acceptance from another M.S. program. Best of luck to everyone in their future endeavors!

I am relinquishing my acceptance from the UNTHSC M.S. program tomorrow because I received an acceptance from another M.S. program. Best of luck to everyone in their future endeavors!

Can you tell us what other program you were accepted to and why you chose that over UNTHSC. Thanks

Can you tell us what other program you were accepted to and why you chose that over UNTHSC. Thanks
Absolutely, I was accepted to the 2-year M.S. program at TTUHSC (Lubbock). I will PM you to explain my logic in choosing that program over UNTHSC.

Absolutely, I was accepted to the 2-year M.S. program at TTUHSC (Lubbock). I will PM you to explain my logic in choosing that program over UNTHSC.
Hi I am in the same boat: trying to decide between UNTHSC and TTUHSC. Can you PM your reasons for choosing TTUHSC? Thanks!