UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not entirely sure if they still incorporate the Facebook group for applicants who have been accepted, but if so would those accepted mind sharing the number of people on the Facebook Group? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptance! If you don't mind me asking, what would you say was particularly unique about your app?

Thanks! Well, I think my app was already good enough for a lot of Texas MD schools. I think the fact that I screwed up my last semester of college is what kept me from getting more than a single interview invite. I'm a non-trad, and I did a lot of research after I graduated and got published and gave poster presentations. I think the dean (Mr. Singh) has a lot of interest in research based on Google searches of him, lol. Good luck :)

Thanks for the word of encouragement! I'm just worried that because I applied before you, they probably already went through my application and since I'm not hearing anything back but you did, then that means I'm either wait-listed or rejected. Just wish they'd let me know now lol oh welllll

No problem. And no, I don't even know if they look at them in order or not. I just remember them saying that after they review a batch of apps, they'll either put you in the "yes" pile or "give another look at another time" pile. I'm not sure exactly how their admissions works, and anyone who tells you otherwise is being untruthful...unless it comes directly from an admissions dean. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

I received my acceptance yesterday at around the same time as well. Good luck to all of you. :)

Similarly, my GPA was already really high, and my MCAT was a 505. However, I did not want to post here because I didn't want people to get anxious/nervous.

I applied very early in the cycle, had a couple of poster presentations, and graduated very high in my class.

Once again, please don't get distracted by those who already got accepted. I literally think I was in the first batch and they had a quick screen through of the applications just for first-round admission. I believe most notifications should be coming out later.

Your notifications will be coming out soon! I am praying all the best for all of you. You may reply back to this message if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello All,

I received my acceptance yesterday at around the same time as well. Good luck to all of you. :)

Similarly, my GPA was already really high, and my MCAT was a 505. However, I did not want to post here because I didn't want people to get anxious/nervous.

I applied very early in the cycle, had a couple of poster presentations, and graduated very high in my class.

Once again, please don't get distracted by those who already got accepted. I literally think I was in the first batch and they had a quick screen through of the applications just for first-round admission. I believe most notifications should be coming out later.

Your notifications will be coming out soon! I am praying all the best for all of you. You may reply back to this message if you have any other questions.
How early did you apply into the cycle if you don't mind me asking?

I've been trying to get some information on the University of Incarnate Word, but it's been a little difficult. They have a brand new DO program and their M.S. in Biomedical Sciences only had their first class this past year. It's a 1 year specialized program, so I'm calling them today to get some info. I think their apps close April 1./QUOTE]

I went to their informational session and the program is a lot like UNT's. It'll be on the brand new campus with all brand new equipment. The program guarantees an interview at the DO school they'll have. They do have an MCAT prep program built into the curriculum. Within the program you do an EMT course where you get to go out on rides in the ambulance and helicopter. The program starts in the fall and runs through the following summer. Since its at a private school the cost of admission is expensive, something like 38000 for the year. The application closes April 15th. They're only accepting about 50 students.

UIW is my back up plan if I don't make it into this program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nope, not yet :p

Aww, drat. lol. I've looked too late and panicked way too many times before, so I'm not gonna make the same mistake this time, haha. Elan West 7th looks really nice! It's like a mile from campus. Wish there were nice places that are walking distance to campus, but I can't find any :/

Aww, drat. lol. I've looked too late and panicked way too many times before, so I'm not gonna make the same mistake this time, haha. Elan West 7th looks really nice! It's like a mile from campus. Wish there were nice places that are walking distance to campus, but I can't find any :/

Not going to lie, the place does look quite nice. Biking may be an option, unless you're looking for a 15 minute walk. I guarantee you I'll be running that mile by the time the second month hits, so that I don't get late to class lol. :p I think you should be fine with timing though for now.

Not entirely sure if they still incorporate the Facebook group for applicants who have been accepted, but if so would those accepted mind sharing the number of people on the Facebook Group? Thank you!

For last year's class, there were 259 members in the group, according to FB. I can't find this year's group either right now, so I'm guessing they haven't officially made one yet. They probably will soon once more people get admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they send out acceptances daily or is it a batch once a week kinda thing?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they send out acceptances daily or is it a batch once a week kinda thing?

Don't quote me on it, but I think they are in small batches per week or so. I believe they have a group meeting like a few times a month. That is usually why a few people post at once when they get accepted.

Now that's what I remember hearing a few months ago, so I could be completely wrong. @bearonionlol said, call them. Pretty nice people.

Congrats to those who have already received an acceptance letter! I submitted my app the last week of Jan however 1 of my references who is an old professor of mine STILL hasn't sent in my letter :( I feel like that is stalling my app big time and it is making me really nervous, thinking about asking someone else for a letter. Do you know if they still look over your app even though you are missing 1 thing?

Congrats to those who have already received an acceptance letter! I submitted my app the last week of Jan however 1 of my references who is an old professor of mine STILL hasn't sent in my letter :( I feel like that is stalling my app big time and it is making me really nervous, thinking about asking someone else for a letter. Do you know if they still look over your app even though you are missing 1 thing?
From what I know, admissions will not touch an application until all of the required documentation has been submitted. However, I think it would be best to them directly to get an accurate answer. Best of Luck!

If I were you I would ask your old professor if s/he can submit it by tomorrow. If they can't then as a back up I'd ask someone else (like today!) if they could write a strong letter of recommendation for you even with the short notice. The worst that could happen is they say no, the best that could happen is you make the deadline (and get accepted :) ) The deadline of March 15th is quickly approaching plus Spring Break is coming up and you don't want the reason for not getting into this program to be a late LOR when you had everything else. Also, when I called at the beginning of February, I was told my application would not go to the Admission Committee until the application and all supporting materials were received and processed by their office. You might want to call/email them as well. I wish you the best!

would those who were accepted mind sharing a little bit about your stats? gpa, mcat, who were your LORs, and what made your app stand out do you think?

Don't quote me on it, but I think they are in small batches per week or so. I believe they have a group meeting like a few times a month. That is usually why a few people post at once when they get accepted.

Now that's what I remember hearing a few months ago, so I could be completely wrong. @bearonionlol said, call them. Pretty nice people.

They do emails on a weekly basis. When I applied last year, a bunch of us heard on wednesdays throughout the acceptance process.

Does anyone know about the specifics of opting out of re-taking the DAT/MCAT? I know it says on their website that you can submit a request to opt out of the prep-class if you receive a certain score or above.

Does anyone know about the specifics of opting out of re-taking the DAT/MCAT? I know it says on their website that you can submit a request to opt out of the prep-class if you receive a certain score or above.
They will give you the score during orientation that qualifies for opting out. I forget what the DAT score was (I want to say it was 19-20, but I'm not pre-dental, so I definitely did not pay attention during that part), but for the MCAT, you had to score above a 504 to opt out. That being said, if you're hovering right around the 504-506 range, it might be wise to go ahead and do the class and take the MCAT again, especially if you have a weak spot elsewhere in your application. We had some specific admissions counseling sessions early in the summer, and most students accepted to the Texas medical schools were scoring an average 510 on the MCAT.

I've been trying to send my transcripts to the school but they aren't receiving them... I'm sending it to the right address right?
ATTN: Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
University of North Texas Health Science Center
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard
Fort Worth, Texas 76107

If I were you I would ask your old professor if s/he can submit it by tomorrow. If they can't then as a back up I'd ask someone else (like today!) if they could write a strong letter of recommendation for you even with the short notice. The worst that could happen is they say no, the best that could happen is you make the deadline (and get accepted :) ) The deadline of March 15th is quickly approaching plus Spring Break is coming up and you don't want the reason for not getting into this program to be a late LOR when you had everything else. Also, when I called at the beginning of February, I was told my application would not go to the Admission Committee until the application and all supporting materials were received and processed by their office. You might want to call/email them as well. I wish you the best!

Yeah I think my boss is going to write me one. My professor just emailed me yesterday morning he was doing it and was gonna submit it. I checked my unt right now and on my to-do list under his rec letter it says "initiated". I think that means he submitted it but it just needs to be updated on the system right? I hope so!!! Thank you very much I wish you the best as well!

I've been trying to send my transcripts to the school but they aren't receiving them... I'm sending it to the right address right?
Fort Worth, Texas 76107

Yes, that's the correct address. Are you mailing your transcripts yourself or did you request your schools to have them mailed to UNT?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes, that's the correct address. Are you mailing your transcripts yourself or did you request your schools to have them mailed to UNT?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I submitted them thru my school but since they didn't get there, I'm going to send them myself

Can someone please post the URL for where we check our status? I am checking the site they emailed to me but I don't see what you all are seeing. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah I think my boss is going to write me one. My professor just emailed me yesterday morning he was doing it and was gonna submit it. I checked my unt right now and on my to-do list under his rec letter it says "initiated". I think that means he submitted it but it just needs to be updated on the system right? I hope so!!! Thank you very much I wish you the best as well!

Yes, if he submitted then the UNTHSC staff would have to update your file so just be on the look out for that "complete" status!

Fort Worth, Texas 76107

By chance have you had a name change at any time? That could explain the missing transcripts. If there has not been a name change, a couple of other solutions are (1) request the official transcripts be sent to you (signed and sealed) and if you're near the DFW area, then you can hand deliver them to the office (as long as they are sealed) (2) if you are not local, ask your registrar offices if they are equipped to send electronic transcripts and verify that UNTHSC will accept them. I hope this helps!

would those who were accepted mind sharing a little bit about your stats? gpa, mcat, who were your LORs, and what made your app stand out do you think?

I was accepted on 02/27/17 and have till March 14th to accept the offer.

My cGPA is a 3.7 and MCAT a 512. As for my letters, I got the volunteer coordinator at the health clinic I work at to write me one and a professor that I research and work as a teaching assistant for. In regards to the application, I think my essays stood out the most, for example, I quoted Voltaire's opinion on knowledge for the essay that asked why I wished to pursue a higher education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

My cGPA is a 3.4 and MCAT a 508. As for my letters, I got the volunteer coordinator at the health clinic I work at to write me one and a professor that I research and work as a teaching assistant for. In regards to the application, I think my essays stood out the most, for example, I quoted Voltaire's opinion on knowledge for the essay that asked why I wished to pursue a higher education.
CONGRATS! When did you apply?? I'm still waiting I applied Jan 19th and Everything said complete about first week of February.

Has anyone started looking for apartments/roommates yet? I just wanna get it over with so that I don't have to worry about it later. PM me if you're kind, clean, fun to be around, vegeterian/vegan, and would like to live no more than 3 miles away from campus. I'm really looking to find something within a mile from campus, though.

Sorry if that sounds picky. lol :(

CONGRATS! When did you apply?? I'm still waiting I applied Jan 19th and Everything said complete about first week of February.

Thanks! I submitted the application the first week of January, but I wasn't able to send the transcripts till about the third week in, so my application was considered 'complete' around the third-fourth week of January, depending on when they processed it.

Just for everyone who's anxious on whether or not they got in - the admissions process is as follows...

First your application will undergo a full file review and then be sorted into one of three piles: Accepted, Rejected, or Hold.

It's obvious as to what happens if your application goes into either of the first two, but if your application is on Hold, that means that they want to have another group of people on the admissions board to look at your application before making a final decision.

This, in addition to the fact that the admissions process is a 'rolling process' accounts for why you haven't heard back yet, so don't worry!

My cGPA is a 3.4 and MCAT a 508. As for my letters, I got the volunteer coordinator at the health clinic I work at to write me one and a professor that I research and work as a teaching assistant for. In regards to the application, I think my essays stood out the most, for example, I quoted Voltaire's opinion on knowledge for the essay that asked why I wished to pursue a higher education.

Congratulations, fellow classmate! Any idea what you are gonna do for housing?

Congratulations, fellow classmate! Any idea what you are gonna do for housing?

Thanks! You too! I've only looked at a few apartments online but I think I'll go to the Discover MyHSC day in April to figure it out!

Do you think if I email them they can give me information about my status about which pile I might be in? If I'm rejected, I would really like to know now lol Or should I not?

Do you think if I email them they can give me information about my status about which pile I might be in? If I'm rejected, I would really like to know now lol Or should I not?

I don't think they'll be able to tell you until its official. I think if your application was rejected, they would've already contacted you by now.

I don't think they'll be able to tell you until its official. I think if your application was rejected, they would've already contacted you by now.

Thanks for your reply. I'm just so anxious and would rather find out if I'm rejected or not now so I can go ahead and think of a Plan B or something lol I really hope they do contact relatively quickly if one is rejected because this is tortureeee

Last edited:
I applied for this program 1/8, anxiously awaiting an email!! I feel like a nervous wreck right now :(

When I check my application status, it says incomplete. When I check the "to do" list, it says a bunch of things are initiated, including MCAT scores, both letters, essays, app fee, transcript, resume. I've submitted everything except the letters. Is this the case for everybody, or do I need to contact them and clear things up?

I applied Jan 8th and my app was complete Feb 1 and I haven't heard back yet either! A friend of mine applied Dec 9th and was in the first batch of acceptances so hopefully we will know soon!

When I check my application status, it says incomplete. When I check the "to do" list, it says a bunch of things are initiated, including MCAT scores, both letters, essays, app fee, transcript, resume. I've submitted everything except the letters. Is this the case for everybody, or do I need to contact them and clear things up?

When filling out the application, at the bottom of each section there should be an option to "Save" changes or mark as complete - hence, if you've turned in everything other than the LoRs then your application should be marked as complete. Unfortunately, I don't know if this means whether or not your application is submitted, but you might want to call the office and see the status because the deadline for submission was the 1st of March.

I would definitely CALL THEM NOW! I called them countless times in regards to my application in terms of what was causing it to not be filed as complete. I called to the extent that the lady remembered my name lol. They are very nice and will tell you exactly what needs to be done with your app to get it going. She gave me specific detail saying yes I saw your DAT score envelope in the mail so your app should be marked as complete within 24-48 hrs and it was. Call em I'm sure they will do the same for anyone.