UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they send out any news regarding acceptances, etc once every week? I tried calling but she didn't really answer my question lol Also, am I the only one that gets super anxious on Mondays since that's when the first person on sdn got accepted? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Giant ball of self-loathing and stress right meow. Give me acceptance or give me death!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My status changed to reviewed today?! I have no clue what that means (besides the obvious)

My status changed to reviewed today?! I have no clue what that means (besides the obvious)

They are probably sending out more decisions/changing app statuses on Mondays. This was around the time I got accepted last week. Also, don't get too anxious, guys. There are only 9 people in the FB group excluding UNT staff. :) Let me know if any of you need help/guidance, and I'll try my best to help when I'm not busy.

Does anyone know if they send out any news regarding acceptances, etc once every week? I tried calling but she didn't really answer my question lol Also, am I the only one that gets super anxious on Mondays since that's when the first person on sdn got accepted? lol

I was literally thinking the same thing...but it looks like acceptances went out this cycle almost a month earlier than last cycle so looking at the bright side we will be put out of our misery a month earlier this cycle! :)

They are probably sending out more decisions/changing app statuses on Mondays. This was around the time I got accepted last week. Also, don't get too anxious, guys. There are only 9 people in the FB group excluding UNT staff. :) Let me know if any of you need help/guidance, and I'll try my best to help when I'm not busy.
You're so nice lol Really appreciate you informing us about the FB count

I was literally thinking the same thing...but it looks like acceptances went out this cycle almost a month earlier than last cycle so looking at the bright side we will be put out of our misery a month earlier this cycle! :)
HAHA I know right, in the meantime, gotta find a way to keep myself busy and stop checking SDN and my email every second lol

HAHA I know right, in the meantime, gotta find a way to keep myself busy and stop checking SDN and my email every second lol

Yea, me too! I keep telling myself I will only check it on Mondays, but then I end up navigating to it everyday multiple times a day. I need an intervention haha!

Reactions: 2 users
Yea, me too! I keep telling myself I will only check it on Mondays, but then I end up navigating to it everyday multiple times a day. I need an intervention haha!
I feel ya, the anxiety is real.

Once they have reviewed the app, will it say "reviewed" where it says "this application is complete"? Or am I not looking in the right place?

If you log into http://my.hsc.unt.edu using your EUID and password, there should be two tabs: (1) Student and (2) Grad/HSC Admissions. Click the second tab and under Applicant Status it will say "Completed", "Under review", "Rejected", "Accepted", or "Intention to Matriculate".

If you log into http://my.hsc.unt.edu using your EUID and password, there should be two tabs: (1) Student and (2) Grad/HSC Admissions. Click the second tab and under Applicant Status it will say "Completed", "Under review", "Rejected", "Accepted", or "Intention to Matriculate".
Under the Grad/HSC Admissions tab my status says "Applicant"? But under the Student tab with the Applicant Status button it says application complete. Is that how it is for everyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Under the Grad/HSC Admissions tab my status says "Applicant"? But under the Student tab with the Applicant Status button it says application complete. Is that how it is for everyone?

That's what mine says too!

Oh mine might be different then, but if it's completed, you're good in terms of submission of the application!

Does it say "Applicant" or "Application"? Cause mine says application. Is that normal

My application status says "Application"

Under the Student tab, it says my application is "Under review". Then when I go to the Grad/HSC Admissions tab it says "Defer Decision". Does this mean wait-listed? Calling admissions office for clarification this afternoon.

Under the Student tab, it says my application is "Under review". Then when I go to the Grad/HSC Admissions tab it says "Defer Decision". Does this mean wait-listed? Calling admissions office for clarification this afternoon.

That means that the admissions committee is not yet ready to make a decision regarding your admittance, so they deferred it. This means your application will go to another subcommittee for another set of eyes to take a look at your application.

Did yours switch to that today?

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 10.54.40 AM.png
This is what I was checking before hearing back from the admissions committee and before the decision was made, I believe it just said 'Complete'.

That means that the admissions committee is not yet ready to make a decision regarding your admittance, so they deferred it. This means your application will go to another subcommittee for another set of eyes to take a look at your application.
Thank you for the quick reply! I'm so annoying and nervous about the whole thing.

Did yours switch to that today?

It went to "being reviewed" yesterday (Monday), but I don't think I bothered to check the other status until today. I tend to only look at the Student tab instead of the other.

For those who submitted mid January, has anyone heard anything or received a recent status change with regards to their application?

For those who submitted mid January, has anyone heard anything or received a recent status change with regards to their application?

I submitted 1/8 and mine still just says "Complete"

No problem lol, I am refreshing this page and my application page like a crazy person.
Lol, try not to stress yourself out. It will drive you mad, trust me. I know it is easier said than done, but try to keep yourself busy if possible; don't worry you will hear back no matter what happens.

Lol, try not to stress yourself out. It will drive you mad, trust me. I know it is easier said than done, but try to keep yourself busy if possible; don't worry you will hear back no matter what happens.

I know that you're right. it's a slow day at work so it's hard to not let my eyes drift to the app page but i'm going to yoga tonight to ~destress~ and peel myself away from the computer for awhile :)

Submitted 1/12/17 still waiting -.- I'm assuming us January people will here back next week.

Submitted 1/12/17 still waiting -.- I'm assuming us January people will here back next week.
Yeah, I believe you are right. I have noticed that the usual trend, in which people hear back from admissions, is two months after submitting an application. Best of luck!

Try not to worry too much, guys. There're still barely any people in the FB group. There are only 12 people total and like 3-4 of them are UNT staff. You should be okay as long as you call them and have them confirm that they have all application materials, including supporting materials. Also, don't worry too much if your essays weren't super long or if you didn't write a personal statement. My essays were concise, and I did not write a personal statement-- though the combination of all my essays can be seen as a personal statement. Everything will be alright. Just believe in yourselves! :)

Edit: Also, unless it says "Your application has been reviewed," don't worry too much about app statuses. It can go directly from "received" to "Congrats blah blah blah," and the intermediate statuses might not apply to you. The important thing is to make sure that it says "Your app is complete" and to make sure that it is indeed complete and has all supporting materials by contacting them.

Last edited:
Hey guys, late applicant here (submitted 3/1). I would like to get a "chance" reply from y'all. I have a 3.24 cGPA/508 MCAT and currently attend a top 25 university (if that even matters, not trying to sound pretentious sorry). I'm starting to get scared that this program is super competitive and I won't stand a chance. I'm also a resident of TX. Thanks for the feedback!

heart beating out of my chest. submitted 1/17. NEEEEEED SOME NEEEWS. But it will probably be next week. I feel a little bit like an under dog, but my ecs, work experience, essays, and lor were all super strong so I'm hoping that will save me.

Hey guys, late applicant here (submitted 3/1). I would like to get a "chance" reply from y'all. I have a 3.24 cGPA/508 MCAT and currently attend a top 25 university (if that even matters, not trying to sound pretentious sorry). I'm starting to get scared that this program is super competitive and I won't stand a chance. I'm also a resident of TX. Thanks for the feedback!

The average stats typically range around a 3.2-3.4 GPA and around a 502-504 MCAT (or so I recall from the open house). Can't really predict your chances of getting in because a lot of things come into consideration during the admissions process.

Just wanted to update those waiting on supplemental materials, I submitted my app on 2/28. Overnighted all my transcripts on 3/1. Everything except LOR was updated to complete today. Anyone have any more decision news?

Just wanted to update those waiting on supplemental materials, I submitted my app on 2/28. Overnighted all my transcripts on 3/1. Everything except LOR was updated to complete today. Anyone have any more decision news?
Post december applicant haven't heard back as of yet we are expecting next week possibly

Post december applicant haven't heard back as of yet we are expecting next week possibly

I was a January application - submitted in the first week of January, but my application was complete until the third-ish week of January.

Hey everyone! I'm a late applicant (I submitted on 2/28). Anyone else's application to-do list still not updated? It says I still owe:
$40 Application Fee
MCAT Scores
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Official Transcript
Resume
Essay
(pretty much everything lol)

My MCAT score report and Resume are attached to my application. My 2 LORs are submitted. I'm just worried because I can't be sure they've received my transcripts...
I had called them a week ago and the lady said that once you submit the application, they have to manually "push" your application through...obviously they haven't pushed mine through yet? Because it says I still owe the $40 application fee right? I called them again yesterday to ask if they've received my transcripts so I can stop worrying about it but it went to voicemail and so I left a message, but they haven't gotten back to me. Should I just keep calling them till they answer?

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm a late applicant (I submitted on 2/28). Anyone else's application to-do list still not updated? It says I still owe:
$40 Application Fee
MCAT Scores
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Official Transcript
Resume
Essay

(pretty much everything lol)

My MCAT score report and Resume are attached to my application. My 2 LORs are submitted. I'm just worried because I can't be sure they've received my transcripts...
I had called them a week ago and the lady said that once you submit the application, they have to manually "push" your application through...obviously they haven't pushed mine through yet? Because it says I still owe the $40 application fee right? I called them again yesterday to ask if they've received my transcripts so I can stop worrying about it but it went to voicemail and so I left a message, but they haven't gotten back to me. Should I just keep calling them till they answer?

I would keep calling them just to make sure everything is good to go with your application. Specifically looking at the application, I just wanted to verify that you hit 'save' after attaching the MCAT Scores/Resumes/Essays? Otherwise they won't be on there. Also, you should have the option to look at the application you submitted and see if you have all of those attached. Lastly, if you used interfolio/email to send your LoRs to UNTHSC, you should be fine!

I would keep calling them just to make sure everything is good to go with your application. Specifically looking at the application, I just wanted to verify that you hit 'save' after attaching the MCAT Scores/Resumes/Essays? Otherwise they won't be on there. Also, you should have the option to look at the application you submitted and see if you have all of those attached. Lastly, if you used interfolio/email to send your LoRs to UNTHSC, you should be fine!

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I called UNT again just now and the lady I talked to confirmed that I had all my documents submitted so woohoo! When I got off the phone with her and checked my status, everything on my to-do list had been taken off and my application status was marked as complete! So if anyone else was in the same boat as I was, I'd highly recommend calling them and talking to someone!! Good luck to everyone and hope to hear good news soon!

I've seen a lot of talk floating around about admission selections factors. I know that the last 60 hrs of coursework is heavily weighted. Does anyone know definitively if this includes graduate/masters work? Or does it only apply to the last 60 hrs of undergraduate work?

I've seen a lot of talk floating around about admission selections factors. I know that the last 60 hrs of coursework is heavily weighted. Does anyone know definitively if this includes graduate/masters work? Or does it only apply to the last 60 hrs of undergraduate work?

I did bad (~3.1gpa) senior year of undergrad and still got accepted. So far, the people who have been accepted all seem to have done extensive research/given poster presentations/have an MCAT that is already good enough for most Texas MD schools. I think they really look at you holistically. Hope this is of help to you!

Hi guys!
I'm not totally sure if they're reviewing applications strictly by date... I submitted on 12/20 and my application status hasn't changed yet. Someone who applied after me already got accepted though, so... Idk exactly how they're sorting through applications. Js. Good luck, y'all! Prayers for all.

Hi guys!
I'm not totally sure if they're reviewing applications strictly by date... I submitted on 12/20 and my application status hasn't changed yet. Someone who applied after me already got accepted though, so... Idk exactly how they're sorting through applications. Js. Good luck, y'all! Prayers for all.

Hi guys!
If by "application status hasn't changed" you are referring to that your application still isn't marked as complete CALL them they will tell you exactly what is going on and what is required still for it to be marked as complete. Best of Luck

I did bad (~3.1gpa) senior year of undergrad and still got accepted. So far, the people who have been accepted all seem to have done extensive research/given poster presentations/have an MCAT that is already good enough for most Texas MD schools. I think they really look at you holistically. Hope this is of help to you!

Thank you for your response. I'm curious because there is a large difference between my last 60 undergrad (3.41) vs. last 60 including my graduate coursework (3.81). My MCAT is ok (506) and I've worked in clinical research for the past 6 years with a few publications, though no first authors, yet. My other ECs are of good quality. I shall keep my fingers crossed. Congrats on your acceptance!

Thank you for your response. I'm curious because there is a large difference between my last 60 undergrad (3.41) vs. last 60 including my graduate coursework (3.81). My MCAT is ok (506) and I've worked in clinical research for the past 6 years with a few publications, though no first authors, yet. My other ECs are of good quality. I shall keep my fingers crossed. Congrats on your acceptance!

No problem! You've got this. You seem like a super strong applicant. The only negative is that you applied on the last day, but I think you'll get in with your stats/accomplishments! I don't think you need to worry about your last 60 hours. :) And thanks!