UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I submitted my application in late (3/1) and was just marked as "complete" this morning. Any estimate regarding when I'll hear back from them since I'm a late applicant? I know some people applied way before me and are still waiting to hear back, so just wanted to get an idea of the time it takes for them to respond. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I submitted my application in late (3/1) and was just marked as "complete" this morning. Any estimate regarding when I'll hear back from them since I'm a late applicant? I know some people applied way before me and are still waiting to hear back, so just wanted to get an idea of the time it takes for them to respond. Thanks for the help!

Not really sure about how they are going about the admissions process since it doesn't seem like any rolled out last week, or so it seemed on SDN. But if I were to guess, I'd say they should have their decisions rolled out this month for the most part since MyHSC day is April 8th, which helps incoming students get acclimated and find apartments in the area. But I'm sure there are people that have been accepted after this date.

Yeah, I'm rethinking the whole thing by just not thinking about it until it happens. I've been making myself sick about it until this point

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have an application that says incomplete though everything has been submitted? My to-do says that I still need to submit my official transcript with my final grades (I don't graduate until May). I already sent them a transcript with my application in early Feb, and I've talked to people at the admissions desk. They're saying the final grades are only if you get accepted to the program but still, seeing that "incomplete application" makes me nervous...

If by "application status hasn't changed" you are referring to that your application still isn't marked as complete CALL them they will tell you exactly what is going on and what is required still for it to be marked as complete. Best of Luck

No, it's been complete since 12/20! I'm just saying apart from it changing to complete, there hasn't been any further updates.

Anybody have an application that says incomplete though everything has been submitted? My to-do says that I still need to submit my official transcript with my final grades (I don't graduate until May). I already sent them a transcript with my application in early Feb, and I've talked to people at the admissions desk. They're saying the final grades are only if you get accepted to the program but still, seeing that "incomplete application" makes me nervous...

They process each of the applications manually, so once they get to your transcript, they'll update your application status. However, I would call the admissions office just to make sure everything is in order.

Reactions: 1 user

What rufflev said. They're super nice!

ACCEPTED! 12:14 pm! applied 1/8, 506 MCAT 3.43 GPA

Accepted as well!

Applied early in December with 3.53 GPA with an upward trend and 503 MCAT.

Last edited:
Congrats everyone!! What a relief that must be! Have any fellow pre-dental people been accepted yet? I submitted my app on 2/6 but my file wasn't complete until 2/28. (3.39 gpa and 21 DAT)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Was just accepted today (3/15/17) @ 12:14pm. Applied 12/14/16. GPA: 3.75, MCAT: 507. If you have any questions, then please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck to all of you!

Just Accepted! The long wait is finally over :) Submitted 1/20

Congrats guys! When was everyone's application marked "Complete" and when did it change to "Under review" to "Accepted"? I submitted mine on 3/1, so I'm just trying to get an idea of a general timeline. Thank you for the help!

Congrats guys! When was everyone's application marked "Complete" and when did it change to "Under review" to "Accepted"? I submitted mine on 3/1, so I'm just trying to get an idea of a general timeline. Thank you for the help!

I checked last night and it was marked "Complete"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

woo hoo accepted today around noon. Completed 1/12/17. cGPA 3.325 sGPA 3.4 1st MCAT 500, 2nd MCAT 507. 3 years research experience in the same lab with 1 pub. Bunch of volunteer programs (not lasting very long), and an immersion service work thing. Top 20 school (not sure if that really plays into anything) Good luck to all those still waiting. There's only 15 people (including faculty) in the facebook group so don't worry.

woo hoo accepted today around noon. Completed 1/12/17. cGPA 3.325 sGPA 3.4 1st MCAT 500, 2nd MCAT 507. 3 years research experience in the same lab with 1 pub. Bunch of volunteer programs (not lasting very long), and an immersion service work thing. Top 20 school (not sure if that really plays into anything) Good luck to all those still waiting. There's only 15 people (including faculty) in the facebook group so don't worry.
oh and really crappy essays haha. I think they averaged 400 words each.

Mine was "complete" this morning and was accepted on my lunch break... was not expecting it at all and I freaked

So, did everyone's status just change from "Complete" to "Accepted"? Like no intermediate?

So, did everyone's status just change from "Complete" to "Accepted"? Like no intermediate?

That's what happened to us on Feb. 27. Went straight from "received" to "congrats." The "app is complete" thing never changes, though.

Where do you check for the notification regarding the final decision? Currently, it says my application is "Complete" and my application status is "Application". Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure.

Where do you check for the notification regarding the final decision? Currently, it says my application is "Complete" and my application status is "Application". Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure.

Click on "applicant status" on the left sidebar, and then it will take you to a page titled "Application status." You will see an 8x2 rectangle with boxes saying "academic institution," "term," "academic career," etc. On top of that, you should see something like "Congratulations! blah blah blah" if you are accepted. I think it used to say "Your application has been received" or something along those lines before I accepted their offer.

In that case they have not reviewed your application yet, i think.

Congrats everyone! It seems like most of you have pretty good stats and went directly from complete to accepted.
Did anyone go from "under review" to accepted today? I'm still "under review" with "Defer Decision" from the first round, so I'm just curious/anxious.

Click on "applicant status" on the left sidebar, and then it will take you to a page titled "Application status." You will see an 8x2 rectangle with boxes saying "academic institution," "term," "academic career," etc. On top of that, you should see something like "Congratulations! blah blah blah" if you are accepted. I think it used to say "Your application has been received" or something along those lines before I accepted their offer.
Mine just says "we have received your intention to matriculate"...

Mine still says "Application" But it says complete when I go through the student center. When I go the the "application summary" page is only says "submitted"

Congrats everybody! My status still says "pending" on one page and then "Currently being reviewed"on the other!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Kinda late to this thing, but... applied 1/17, currently says "defer decision" on myUNT.

Congrats to everyone that has gotten accepted so far! And for all of those that haven't heard yet, I hope you hear good news soon!

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct or not, but it seems like the first batch of acceptances was on February 27th and then the second batch was on March 14th. Coincidentally, March 14th at 8 am PST was the latest we (first batch of acceptances) could accept the offer and the second batch was released around noon that same day, which leads me to thinking that the next set of decisions will possibly be in two weeks - Not sure though, just speculation!

Also congrats to everyone that has been accepted thus far and best of luck to everyone else!

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct or not, but it seems like the first batch of acceptances was on February 27th and then the second batch was on March 14th. Coincidentally, March 14th at 8 am PST was the latest we (first batch of acceptances) could accept the offer and the second batch was released around noon that same day, which leads me to thinking that the next set of decisions will possibly be in two weeks - Not sure though, just speculation!

Also congrats to everyone that has been accepted thus far and best of luck to everyone else!

Sounds like a solid speculation to me. I'll talk to ya'll on March 28, unless I get an e-mail first ;)

There are still only 18 people in the fb group including staff! Only 5 new members were added yesterday. I was expecting there to be more!

Anyone looking for a roommate/ know the best place to look besides being there for MyHSC day? I'm out of state.

Yea so I checked mine, I applied near end of Jan and had everything marked as complete first week of Feb. Mine now says "currently being reviewed"
All for the best and now we wait... just really anxious since I am pursuing Dental School and how that plays out in the acceptance process because I am aware most of the applicants are pursuing med school

Yea so I checked mine, I applied near end of Jan and had everything marked as complete first week of Feb. Mine now says "currently being reviewed"
All for the best and now we wait... just really anxious since I am pursuing Dental School and how that plays out in the acceptance process because I am aware most of the applicants are pursuing med school
I'm pre-dental also. One of the admissions reps came to Texas A&M a couple weeks ago and said they don't accept a lot of dental students :/

Oh snap y'all. I just went over my essays and noticed two typos and that all the (") I used were turned into upside down questions marks. I'm so sunk. :(

Hey guys, I'm a current MedSci and just wanted to reach out and give y'all some info about the program I wish I knew before going in:

1) This program does an amazing job of preparing you for medical school, especially for TCOM itself if you're lucky enough to be accepted. The classes are rigorous and you will have an overwhelming amount of resources to help you succeed.

2) If you're applying this upcoming cycle, your MedSci grades will NOT help you for Texas schools (except TCOM--more below). Texas schools will use your undergraduate work to determine your interview/acceptance status at their schools. That is something that I was completely unaware of and was told the exact opposite of by former students and faculty. Imagine my disappointment at not getting many interviews despite earning a 4.0 in the summer and fall haha. However, if you apply next cycle, or end up having to reapply, your MedSci grades will be CRUCIAL to your cycle and it's IMPORTANT TO EXCEL. This might be some of y'alls last shots at showing schools you can handle the level of coursework.

3) TCOM will be watching your grades in the MedSci program. To be honest, only the top percentage of students get interviews to their school, but there is no guarantee. I can't say how many people got interviews, but most that did were maintaining a 4.0 at the time of their interview (you will get called between October-December). I honestly don't know anyone that had a B in any of their classes at the time of their interview/now being accepted, but that's just my class. Having said that, a 4.0 does NOT GUARANTEE AN INTERVIEW. Unfortunately, I know a handful of people that fell into that category, and it sucks.

4) I'm going to assume that most of y'all that apply to this program have subpar GPA/MCATs, which is OK since you're taking this step to improve on yourself. Good job! If you don't care much about the whole DO vs MD thing, then apply liberally. There are a lot of DO schools who know our program very well and love to take students from here and do consider your MedSci grades as you concurrently apply. Judging from others experiences, since I didn't apply OOS, if you apply early then you will hear back much sooner than Texas schools.

Hey guys, I'm a current MedSci and just wanted to reach out and give y'all some info about the program I wish I knew before going in:

1) This program does an amazing job of preparing you for medical school, especially for TCOM itself if you're lucky enough to be accepted. The classes are rigorous and you will have an overwhelming amount of resources to help you succeed.

2) If you're applying this upcoming cycle, your MedSci grades will NOT help you for Texas schools (except TCOM--more below). Texas schools will use your undergraduate work to determine your interview/acceptance status at their schools. That is something that I was completely unaware of and was told the exact opposite of by former students and faculty. Imagine my disappointment at not getting many interviews despite earning a 4.0 in the summer and fall haha. However, if you apply next cycle, or end up having to reapply, your MedSci grades will be CRUCIAL to your cycle and it's IMPORTANT TO EXCEL. This might be some of y'alls last shots at showing schools you can handle the level of coursework.

3) TCOM will be watching your grades in the MedSci program. To be honest, only the top percentage of students get interviews to their school, but there is no guarantee. I can't say how many people got interviews, but most that did were maintaining a 4.0 at the time of their interview (you will get called between October-December). I honestly don't know anyone that had a B in any of their classes at the time of their interview/now being accepted, but that's just my class. Having said that, a 4.0 does NOT GUARANTEE AN INTERVIEW. Unfortunately, I know a handful of people that fell into that category, and it sucks.

4) I'm going to assume that most of y'all that apply to this program have subpar GPA/MCATs, which is OK since you're taking this step to improve on yourself. Good job! If you don't care much about the whole DO vs MD thing, then apply liberally. There are a lot of DO schools who know our program very well and love to take students from here and do consider your MedSci grades as you concurrently apply. Judging from others experiences, since I didn't apply OOS, if you apply early then you will hear back much sooner than Texas schools.

Thanks so much for the insight! It sounds like having a job and being in the program is not feasible. Did anyone in your class manage a job while succeeding in the program? Also, this may not be true to med students but I talked to Dr. Miller at Texas A&M School of Dentistry and she said they accept a lot of people who come out of this program. Any other advice you may have for handling the course load?

Thanks so much for the insight! It sounds like having a job and being in the program is not feasible. Did anyone in your class manage a job while succeeding in the program? Also, this may not be true to med students but I talked to Dr. Miller at Texas A&M School of Dentistry and she said they accept a lot of people who come out of this program. Any other advice you may have for handling the course load?

There's no one in my class that juggled the two, but in the class above there was one girl who had already been scribing for 2 years and her boss was flexible with her. You can have a job, but then you'd most definitely be sacrificing any chance to do your absolute best. I can't speak much for dentistry, but first of all, there aren't that many pre-dents (in my class at least) and I haven't heard of any acceptances yet from the people I know who applied this cycle (def a couple interviews after Dec 1). It might be the same case where they prefer you finish the program and then apply, hence my lack of knowledge on that part.

First semester coursework is easier than second semester. I really liked the blocked schedule so you're only focusing on one hard science at a time. Review a little bit each day to stay on top of the material. You'll have 2-3 hrs of lecture everyday and exams ALMOST every single week. Weekends are your friends to catch up haha but please have some fun too. I make it a point to have a social life, so if you can manage your time, you can still go out a couple weekends a month and relax. Exams are usually very straightforward and not at all tricky. And if there is an unfair question, you have opportunities to make your case with your classmates to the directors and sometimes get points back.

Hmm maybe I need to rethink about applying this cycle then. Ive heard many med sci students apply to med school while they're in the program and that you can update your application with a few new grades and it'll be helpful. I've also heard the program doesn't really have anything to do with TCOM.

Last edited:
Oh snap y'all. I just went over my essays and noticed two typos and that all the (") I used were turned into upside down questions marks. I'm so sunk. :(
Noticed that too after I was accepted. It's just a formatting error on their part. Don't worry, I'm sure they understand.

How's the financial aid situation?

Last edited: