UNTHSC/TCOM M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What exactly occurs during MyHSC Day? And would orientation day be similar to undergrad where we all sign up for classes?

During MyHSC Day you get the chance to meet your fellow classmates, your advisor, apartment realtors, etc. It's essentially to help you get accommodated to the new environment, relocate, things like that - you don't really have to worry about signing up for classes since you're on a set track and will be taking the same courses as your fellow peers. I imagine Day #1 of orientation will be similar to this, but overall orientation would cover the specifics of the program, courses you'll be taking, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What exactly occurs during MyHSC Day? And would orientation day be similar to undergrad where we all sign up for classes?

You go and meet your advisor and fellow students and get acquainted with campus. Apartments will also be there with booths set up etc, some people will be able to sign a lease that day. I personally am unable to go and am pretty bummed about it, it sounds like a fun opportunity to get to know the area and the other students!

So I'm in a weird spot. I'm an OOS resident who is going to attend this program. I chose TX in hopes of gaining residency here to be able to apply to medschool next year. I know the only way for me to gain residency for the year while in this program and apply to TX med schools by the time it ends is to be gainfully employed at least 20 hrs. a week. I know people have said it's almost impossible to have a job and do well in this program but does anyone know if it would be possible to work on the weekends? or at least does anyone know someone who has done this or know who I can speak to about this situation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm in a weird spot. I'm an OOS resident who is going to attend this program. I chose TX in hopes of gaining residency here to be able to apply to medschool next year. I know the only way for me to gain residency for the year while in this program and apply to TX med schools by the time it ends is to be gainfully employed at least 20 hrs. a week. I know people have said it's almost impossible to have a job and do well in this program but does anyone know if it would be possible to work on the weekends? or at least does anyone know someone who has done this or know who I can speak to about this situation? Thanks!

During the open house, I recall talking to a current TCOM student that was shadowing part-time during the semester and said it was manageable because that was how they enjoyed spending their free time, which makes it seem possible but difficult. But also, I talked to current and past MedSci's and they said that in order to do well they attended lecture and put in 3-4 hours of work in the evening and on weekends, so it makes it seem that it is possible, just have to be a little more on top of time management.

Side note: I'm not really sure how the application process works in terms of residency - whether you have to be an established resident (live/work in Texas for 1 year) prior to applying or by the time you attend. Just thought this was worth considering or looking into!

I'm a current MedSci as well, and I do have a job in the program. I would recommend doing no more than 15 hours a week with minimal other commitments if you do need to work. My employment workload varies a little bit, but I make a conscious effort to have no more than 15 hours per week, and I have a flexible employer that allows that. It is possible to do, but it does require focus, sticking to your schedule, and NOT PROCRASTINATING. Procrastination will be the death of you and your grades in this program.

Seems like it's going to be difficult. I agree with RD2DO, but you know yourself better than we do! If you honestly believe you can settle down for an entire year and haul it, best of luck to ya!

I'm with you on that boat. 3rd rec letter wasn't turned in until the 14th, marked as completed on that day after a phone call.
Mostly worried about figuring out housing with so little time...rolling admissions are terrifying.
Ahhh same here, the anticipation is killing me! I said I wouldn't check this blog but I couldn't help myself lol

Reactions: 2 users

I'm not familiar with the residency requirements, but if it is just a specific number of hours per week you might be able to find a job where you can study some of the time too. I worked as a hostess and a nanny during undergrad and both jobs were cool about me studying during down time. I nannied for an infant which worked out particularly well because he slept a good percentage of the time. You may have to justify those jobs to an adcom later since you're not shadowing or doing research,etc but it might help with time management.

Our 2 week theory went down the drain, I suppose? My poor e-mail is sick of refreshing.

Reactions: 4 users
For those already accepted, has the facebook group gotten much bigger this week?

For those already accepted, has the facebook group gotten much bigger this week?

There's a total of 70 members in the group, including like 5-6 staff members. It says that 26 new people have been added to the group between March 17th and March 28th (I think 9-10 new members this week).

Hi I'm a current MedSci that's about to finish and apply to medical school. I've done pretty well in the program thus far (4.0 GPA currently). Let me know if I can be of any help. To people that have already been accepted, get ready to sacrifice this upcoming year. Its grueling, challenging, but academically invigorating. I loved the program and what kind of student it molded me to be. I honestly think if gears you succeed in medical school if you use it to build study habits, endurance, etc. It will really teach you whether or not you can handle the rigor of medical school. For people that haven't been accepted, stay strong and I know the waitlist moves a little. A lot of students in my class declined their positions because they got accepted into medical school late. Good luck and hit me with questions about anything!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi I'm a current MedSci that's about to finish and apply to medical school. I've done pretty well in the program thus far (4.0 GPA currently). Let me know if I can be of any help. To people that have already been accepted, get ready to sacrifice this upcoming year. Its grueling, challenging, but academically invigorating. I loved the program and what kind of student it molded me to be. I honestly think if gears you succeed in medical school if you use it to build study habits, endurance, etc. It will really teach you whether or not you can handle the rigor of medical school. For people that haven't been accepted, stay strong and I know the waitlist moves a little. A lot of students in my class declined their positions because they got accepted into medical school late. Good luck and hit me with questions about anything!
(I'm new to this site so forgive me for any posting errors.) I am curious to know the lowest MCAT that you have either heard/know of that has been accepted to this program. I know I shouldn't even be asking this question since they have stated that there is no cutoff score. When I took my MCAT I was really sick, so much so that I seriously contemplated walking out during the Biochem portion of my test. The only reason I stayed and finished it was so I could apply for the program this year. So I definitely didn't score well.
You may not know many low scorers, just thought I'd give it a shot. (Also, thanks for your willingness to help us and nice work on the 4.0!)

Any study tips that have helped you particularly in maintaining the 4.0? I was accepted March 15 and have been trying to mentally prepare for the program as much as I can before May 30 since I've been out of school for a year! I have great time management from undergrad but know this isn't exactly the same thing so any insight you can provide is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
(I'm new to this site so forgive me for any posting errors.) I am curious to know the lowest MCAT that you have either heard/know of that has been accepted to this program. I know I shouldn't even be asking this question since they have stated that there is no cutoff score. When I took my MCAT I was really sick, so much so that I seriously contemplated walking out during the Biochem portion of my test. The only reason I stayed and finished it was so I could apply for the program this year. So I definitely didn't score well.
You may not know many low scorers, just thought I'd give it a shot. (Also, thanks for your willingness to help us and nice work on the 4.0!)

I'm honestly not sure what the lowest is, but a lot of my friends have had bad attempts at the MCAT (I personally know someone that has a 495). I honestly think they are willing to put up with a sub-par MCAT if you have a competitive GPA. At the end of the day, this program upholds its reputation in Texas and some out-of-state DO schools by having good med school acceptance rates + demonstrating rigor of the courses. If they think that you cannot hold your own, you obviously will have a lower shot at getting in. It definitely hurts your chances if you have both a low GPA and a low MCAT, but plenty of people get in with that regardless.

Any study tips that have helped you particularly in maintaining the 4.0? I was accepted March 15 and have been trying to mentally prepare for the program as much as I can before May 30 since I've been out of school for a year! I have great time management from undergrad but know this isn't exactly the same thing so any insight you can provide is appreciated!

Congrats! This is definitely NOT undergrad and its awesome that you're being proactive about ways to focus. First and foremost, are you planning on applying this cycle or are you waiting until the program is over to apply to medical school? Additionally, are you planning on taking the MCAT over the summer or are you satisfied with your score? I know a lot of people struggled with balancing MCAT studying with applications and biostats (not a blow off class, you have to put in time). So if you plan on applying this cycle, start working on your application IMMEDIATELY. Get your personal statement down and your LORs in check. That's the biggest advice I can give in regards to the summer semester. You'll be bogged down with administrative stuff like orientation, workshops, seminars, etc -- so time is a huge commodity in the summer.

General Advice:
- Develop a routine that you can consistently follow. It doesn't matter if its a Monday or a Friday, stick to that routine. I would wake up at 7 am every day, eat breakfast, pack a lunch, and head to the 4th floor (quiet floor) of the library and grind out the material. There is literally no time to waste when it comes to material. There will be weeks where you have 2 exams, 1 TBL, class obligations, etc. The faster you start on getting through the material for the test -- the faster you can repeat the material and master the information. Master what routine works for you.

- Figure out if going to class is beneficial to you. I'm speaking from my perspective, but I absolutely disliked going to class because I'm a self-learner. There are a handful of professors that just regurgitate the words on the ppt at a very fast pace and I viewed that as a colossal waste of time. Instead of showing up to class at 8 am, I would go straight to the library and go at my own pace.

- Make sacrifices. There will be plenty of volunteer activities, social hangouts, sports events, etc. available to you. Its your decision to attend these events. The one huge difference between me and some of my classmates that struggle with classes is the ability to make these sacrifices. Instead of going out to 7th street on a Friday night on an easy week, I would go to the library and get ahead on the material. Its painful but its so worth it when you start destroying the exams. I didn't make these sacrifices in undergrad and my grades suffered. Its all in your hands.

- Find 1 or 2 people that you can rely on and that have good study habits. Collaboration is key -- I used to get like 1-2 questions right on each test just by picking up something one of my friends would mention a day or two before the exam. Also, I made a really good friend and we motivated each other to work harder. It really pushed me to my full potential.

Fall Semester:
1) Biochemistry - This is the easiest science course you will take at MedSci. You're gonna go super in depth into the pathways for glycolysis, etc. Mainly just memorization with little critical thinking. Capitalize on the first test -- its going to get much harder. The tests are relatively straightforward with only 1st and 2nd order questions. Prokai is an awesome professor and he was actually really captivating.

2) Molecular - You slowly start seeing an increase in the amount of material and difficulty of questions. One of my highest grades in the program because I started warming up with my study habits. Das is an amazing professor and go to his lectures (he will emphasize what's going to be on the test). I don't really remember any other lecturers (probably didn't go to class very much).

3) Histology - Oh man.... this class was a shocker to many people. The first test took a lot of people by surprise (including myself) -- I think our average was a high C or something. Really focus on minor details and cross sectional slides that are provided in the powerpoints. Use outside resources like BlueHistology to test yourself with new images. You'll get the hang out of it, but its crucial to get over that learning curve because its a different type of studying in comparison to biochem/molecular. Tovar's powerpoints are relatively straightforward and clean, but Millar had some massive ppts with TONS of texts and random colors. Get ready for those behemoths. They will test minor details, cover ALL of your bases.

4) Microbiology/Immunology - Last science class of the semester. Its a pretty grueling class because the material is much harder than what you've seen before and there is a small margin of error. Also, a lot more critical thinking questions on the exams.

5) Epidemoiology - Don't take this class lightly. Migala is captivating guy but he will get upset at the class if you don't come to class. I skipped a lot (yikes!). The material isn't terribly difficult but its not a joke. A little bit of math here and there.

Spring Semester:

1) Anatomy - Material heavy, but I loved this class. I just found it fascinating. The cadaver prosection labs were amazing and really remind you why you want to pursue medicine. The tests are relatively first order and second order. Lots of clinically relevant questions and not just regurgitations of innervation/blood supplies of muscles. This class is really about immersing yourself in the material and figuring out how to memorize lots of information. You also have to balance it with physio so that is the tough part.

2) Physiology - Toughest course so far. Really requires to understand both details and concepts. I used BRS Physiology a lot to supplement my knowledge -- highly recommend! The cardiology, neuro and renal tests are the most difficult. GI, skeletal muscles are the easiest. Endocrine is somewhere in the middle.

3) CRM - I think its online for you guys so they are changing it up from what I heard.

4) Ethics - Super easy, just weekly assignments you have to take care of.

5) Pharm - TBD

Reactions: 6 users
WOW thank you SO MUCH for all this info! I am the type of person that gets legitimate satisfaction from preparation and planning so this is like gold for me. I am going to save this info and continue to refer back to it. I am RE-applying, it didnt work out for me this cycle for a number of reasons, so I am just updating my existing personal statement with updates from what I did over the past year and I have all my new LOR's already ready to go. I am obsessive about getting stuff done early so it's going to all be submitted and good to go as soon as physically possible on May 1 before school.

I took the MCAT last summer, 506, and while it's just over the 505 cut off it is competitive for TCOM (so they told me) and they said they wouldn't recommend retaking because they want me to focus on raising my GPA in the program (sh*tty freshman year grades dragging me down). So that's what I will do. I am so very looking forward to the opportunity to be in a rigorous academic environment (I have been working full time at a non-profit over the past ten months and while the work is very fulfilling, it is slow paced and not-challenging) and getting a feel for what medical school will be like, so I am really looking forward to diving into this program and being intentional with my time and efforts.

I like your advice about waking up early and going to study, I am a morning person and love to dedicate all of my day time to getting stuff done early and studying so I am glad to hear that this is a habit of yours too. Thank you so much again for all of this helpful information, like I said, it's like a gold mine and I will definitely be saving it and referring to it over the next year!

Do you know much about reapplying? I've reached out to TCOM to have them look over my app and provide feedback, but have not heard back yet. I have some questions, for example, I really like my personal statement and know that it needs to be updated, but do I need to completely rewrite it or anything like that? I want to get my application done and done well before the program starts so if you know anything about reapplying, I would appreciate that too! Thanks so much again!

506 is solid and extremely competitive for DO schools like TCOM. Even Texas Tech El Paso's matriculant average was 503 -- just use this program as a boost for your GPA and prove to medical schools that you can handle the rigor of medical school. Do some consistent volunteering and keep up with it so medical schools know you're serious about giving back to the community. You're most likely not in the range for Baylor COM or UT Southwestern unless you're a URM, so you're probably shooting for schools like A&M, TCOM, Texas Tech HSC, Texas Tech El Paso -- all schools which are service oriented.

We have an academic center called CAP that edits essays for free and I utilized them a lot for grammar editing. If plan on postponing until next year and/or you don't matriculate this cycle -- work towards developing a relationship with Dr. Gwirtz (program director) to get a LOR. She teaches a large portion of physiology spring semester but is always involved. She is also associate dean of GSBS and carries a lot of weight around UNTHSC.

Reactions: 1 users
WOW thank you SO MUCH for all this info! I am the type of person that gets legitimate satisfaction from preparation and planning so this is like gold for me. I am going to save this info and continue to refer back to it. I am RE-applying, it didnt work out for me this cycle for a number of reasons, so I am just updating my existing personal statement with updates from what I did over the past year and I have all my new LOR's already ready to go. I am obsessive about getting stuff done early so it's going to all be submitted and good to go as soon as physically possible on May 1 before school.

I took the MCAT last summer, 506, and while it's just over the 505 cut off it is competitive for TCOM (so they told me) and they said they wouldn't recommend retaking because they want me to focus on raising my GPA in the program (sh*tty freshman year grades dragging me down). So that's what I will do. I am so very looking forward to the opportunity to be in a rigorous academic environment (I have been working full time at a non-profit over the past ten months and while the work is very fulfilling, it is slow paced and not-challenging) and getting a feel for what medical school will be like, so I am really looking forward to diving into this program and being intentional with my time and efforts.

I like your advice about waking up early and going to study, I am a morning person and love to dedicate all of my day time to getting stuff done early and studying so I am glad to hear that this is a habit of yours too. Thank you so much again for all of this helpful information, like I said, it's like a gold mine and I will definitely be saving it and referring to it over the next year!

Do you know much about reapplying? I've reached out to TCOM to have them look over my app and provide feedback, but have not heard back yet. I have some questions, for example, I really like my personal statement and know that it needs to be updated, but do I need to completely rewrite it or anything like that? I want to get my application done and done well before the program starts so if you know anything about reapplying, I would appreciate that too! Thanks so much again!

Also forgot to reply: if you're a reapplicant, you MUST completely re-write your personal statement. I can't emphasize that enough.

Hey @brachialplexus, I've seen a couple of posts from past students about a "med sci student bible" that is supposedly very helpful. Is it considered cheating to use it? If not, would you be willing to share it if you have access to it? Thanks!

Also forgot to reply: if you're a reapplicant, you MUST completely re-write your personal statement. I can't emphasize that enough.

That is great to know about the personal statement, that's been my main concern lately because I worked my butt off on my PS last year, but I wouldn't want to screw myself over by sending in an only slightly different version. Is the CAP center available remotely or will I have to wait until I am a student to utilize their services?

Also I am very humbled you think I could shoot for TAMU/TTU El Paso etc. and that my MCAT is strong. I certainly know I could never touch Baylor or UT Southwestern! But I do think I spent too much time on reddit /r/mcat and other forums where everyone posts things like "scored a 515, was expecting a 528... what med school will want me now?" - obviously an exaggeration but it did get into my head a bit so it was hard to be excited about my 506 at first and feel confident.

It hadn't occurred to me yet that a higher GPA through this program could put me in range for any of those schools you mentioned! I think I've just gotten so used to the idea of certain schools with my stats that I didn't even think about that. As for service, I have thousands of hours of community service from working in a soup kitchen since high school so hopefully that will continue to be a strong point on my app. It's just my GPA from freshman year that has haunted me forever despite the circumstances at the time and having a great upward trend. I would say I am the opposite of a URM, just a regular white American female but I do have strong EC's/research/leadership and shadowing/volunteer hours so I guess I will be interested to see how this program will help my GPA and if it even could change the schools I might be able to reach for.

Thanks so much for your perspective! I also didn't apply until July last year because of the MCAT so I am going to be much more timely with my application this cycle. Sorry for this wall of text, and I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a stranger on SDN and for the heads up about the personal statement/getting to know Dr. Gwirtz! as you can see I tend to ramble so I need all the spare time I can get to work on writing a PS that is articulate and gets to the point.

That is great to know about the personal statement, that's been my main concern lately because I worked my butt off on my PS last year, but I wouldn't want to screw myself over by sending in an only slightly different version. Is the CAP center available remotely or will I have to wait until I am a student to utilize their services?

Also I am very humbled you think I could shoot for TAMU/TTU El Paso etc. and that my MCAT is strong. I certainly know I could never touch Baylor or UT Southwestern! But I do think I spent too much time on reddit /r/mcat and other forums where everyone posts things like "scored a 515, was expecting a 528... what med school will want me now?" - obviously an exaggeration but it did get into my head a bit so it was hard to be excited about my 506 at first and feel confident.

It hadn't occurred to me yet that a higher GPA through this program could put me in range for any of those schools you mentioned! I think I've just gotten so used to the idea of certain schools with my stats that I didn't even think about that. As for service, I have thousands of hours of community service from working in a soup kitchen since high school so hopefully that will continue to be a strong point on my app. It's just my GPA from freshman year that has haunted me forever despite the circumstances at the time and having a great upward trend. I would say I am the opposite of a URM, just a regular white American female but I do have strong EC's/research/leadership and shadowing/volunteer hours so I guess I will be interested to see how this program will help my GPA and if it even could change the schools I might be able to reach for.

Thanks so much for your perspective! I also didn't apply until July last year because of the MCAT so I am going to be much more timely with my application this cycle. Sorry for this wall of text, and I really appreciate you taking the time to help out a stranger on SDN and for the heads up about the personal statement/getting to know Dr. Gwirtz! as you can see I tend to ramble so I need all the spare time I can get to work on writing a PS that is articulate and gets to the point.

I got a 506 with a 124 in bio (yikes!) and still got an interview invitation to A&M. Sadly, they are cutting their budget starting this year and had to reduce class size from 200 to 150...and there wasn't even a waitlist. Just my luck :( I think you'll be fine with that score! Personally, I'm gonna retake my MCAT because of my bio score lol. It was a horrible mistake to AP out of classes. lmao.

I got a 506 with a 124 in bio (yikes!) and still got an interview invitation to A&M. Sadly, they are cutting their budget starting this year and had to reduce class size from 200 to 150...and there wasn't even a waitlist. Just my luck :( I think you'll be fine with that score! Personally, I'm gonna retake my MCAT because of my bio score lol. It was a horrible mistake to AP out of classes. lmao.

oh my gosh! yeah my score spread is the only reason I am not retaking, 126/127/126/127. Nice and even. TCOM said if I had scored below 125 they would have recommended the retake so I wouldn't want to retake and risk possibly scoring worse! and I had not heard about A&M's budget.. that really sucks that they have to cut down because it's a good school from what I know. Hey at least you weren't like me, I took AP classes my senior year but when I got into college I decided to be lazy and not actually take the exams... haha. I skipped to get tacos.

Hey @brachialplexus, I've seen a couple of posts from past students about a "med sci student bible" that is supposedly very helpful. Is it considered cheating to use it? If not, would you be willing to share it if you have access to it? Thanks!

There is in fact a Med Sci bible but its ethically gray area. I'll let your orientation leaders give you that.

oh my gosh! yeah my score spread is the only reason I am not retaking, 126/127/126/127. Nice and even. TCOM said if I had scored below 125 they would have recommended the retake so I wouldn't want to retake and risk possibly scoring worse! and I had not heard about A&M's budget.. that really sucks that they have to cut down because it's a good school from what I know. Hey at least you weren't like me, I took AP classes my senior year but when I got into college I decided to be lazy and not actually take the exams... haha. I skipped to get tacos.

Wish I could say the same for my score, lol. Oh well, apparently the sciences are the easiest to improve on. And hmm..no wonder I didn't get an invitation from TCOM even though the rest of my app was pretty unique. Yeah, A&M seemed like a really chill school. I felt as if it would have been a great fit for me. Everything happens for a reason, I guess. Hopefully the big *** Berkeley Review set helps me even up my score. And haha tacos, but I'm pretty sure I was worse in college. It wasn't totally my fault, but I failed Systems Physiology. I also had a huge downward trend in GPA. I'm just hoping that I can use this program to redeem myself. Fingers crossed.

There is in fact a Med Sci bible but its ethically gray area. I'll let your orientation leaders give you that.

I see. I'd rather follow your advice and try to make 1-2 close buddies and take amazing notes, then. Haha. Don't want to risk anything for some dumb notes.

Edit: Btw, thanks for all the info you posted! It was really useful!

Wish I could say the same for my score, lol. Oh well, apparently the sciences are the easiest to improve on. And hmm..no wonder I didn't get an invitation from TCOM even though the rest of my app was pretty unique. Yeah, A&M seemed like a really chill school. I felt as if it would have been a great fit for me. Everything happens for a reason, I guess. Hopefully the big *** Berkeley Review set helps me even up my score. And haha tacos, but I'm pretty sure I was worse in college. It wasn't totally my fault, but I failed Systems Physiology. I also had a huge downward trend in GPA. I'm just hoping that I can use this program to redeem myself. Fingers crossed.

You got an interview at A&M, I got zero interviews anywhere.. take that for what it is worth lol. I did not know how to study freshman year and learned the hard way during my first round of finals that quantity of time studying =/= quality of studying. And also that all-nighters are not my friend. You will do great on the MCAT the next time you take it, especially with that program and some good 'ol fashion studying!

If you felt like A&M was a really great fit, maybe this program will make it happen for you. From what I have read, they don't accept applicants into this program if they don't think they are competitive for med school and just need a bit of a boost somewhere, which in itself should make us feel confident! I always remember that line from the Orange is the New Black theme song, "taking steps is easy, standing still is hard." It's always great to be taking steps toward the goal rather than doing nothing or being stuck. This program and/or your MCAT retake is like the next big step!

edit- maybe when we are classmates in real life we can do that note/study collaboration you just mentioned- definitely not interested in dabbling in anything "ethically gray area" haha

Last edited:
@brachialplexus , I am a little bit confused about the classes ... do you only have 1 class at a time and after you finish one class, like biochem, then you move on to another class, like molecular? If so, how long is each class like only a few weeks per class? Is there a final for each class or just weekly tests?

@brachialplexus , I am a little bit confused about the classes ... do you only have 1 class at a time and after you finish one class, like biochem, then you move on to another class, like molecular? If so, how long is each class like only a few weeks per class? Is there a final for each class or just weekly tests?

Biochem and Molec are about 6 weeks. Epidemiology and Histology are the full semester and Immunology is around 4 weeks. Epidemiology is the only class that has a true final (comprehensive). You would take Biochem, molec and immuno 1 at a time.

So this is pretty late in the rolling admissions process and there are probably very few seats left. Is it safe to assume that anyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance notification yet probably shouldn't expect one?

So this is pretty late in the rolling admissions process and there are probably very few seats left. Is it safe to assume that anyone who hasn't gotten an acceptance notification yet probably shouldn't expect one?

I think the class size ranges from 200 to 250 people and thus far there are 73 members on the class FaceBook group. The group size is probably an underrepresentation of the actual number of peoples accepted since people may have not been added to the group yet, don't have FaceBook accounts, are holding the offer till the deadline, etc. But I think it's safe to assume that there's still a fair number of seats still available and that this is a rolling admission, so they're probably still reviewing the applications submitted later in the cycle and whatnot.

I think the class size ranges from 200 to 250 people and thus far there are 73 members on the class FaceBook group. The group size is probably an underrepresentation of the actual number of peoples accepted since people may have not been added to the group yet, don't have FaceBook accounts, are holding the offer till the deadline, etc. But I think it's safe to assume that there's still a fair number of seats still available and that this is a rolling admission, so they're probably still reviewing the applications submitted later in the cycle and whatnot.
Subtract 10 for the Orientation Leaders and Faculty.

Last year I got accepted at the end of April.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So for one, the fb has 73 like stated by others. At least 10 are staff and admin in the group. I called the school and they said they have about 200 spots. Yea there might be some who haven't been added to the group or accepted the invite yet but most have. Also, I applied end of Jan and my app was complete first week of Feb. My app is still currently under review. This means that there are many who haven't had there app reviewed yet (All people who applied in Feb). There is still a lot of time and a lot of spots. All for the best!

When was your application completed with all supplemental material?

It was completed in mid February

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is anyone who was accepted not going to myHSC day? I can't make it and I'm having serious FOMO

They tell you if you're rejected, so I think no news is good-ish news in this case. And I know someone who did it 2 years ago who said he got accepted like 2 days before orientation.

Still no news...I can't believe it's already April! I feel like I spent the entire month of March refreshing my online UNTHSC account status and email :bang:

Reactions: 4 users
They tell you if you're rejected, so I think no news is good-ish news in this case. And I know someone who did it 2 years ago who said he got accepted like 2 days before orientation.

Except for people like me who applied way too late :banana:
Anyone notice if they're doing batch acceptances (Every 1~2 weeks they accept some bulk number of students) like from what I saw in previous threads?

Except for people like me who applied way too late :banana:
Anyone notice if they're doing batch acceptances (Every 1~2 weeks they accept some bulk number of students) like from what I saw in previous threads?
I believe the last acceptances (pre-med) were March 15, so the 2 week theory is kind of out the window. There were some pre-dental students accepted around the 17-18 though.

Still no news...I can't believe it's already April! I feel like I spent the entire month of March refreshing my online UNTHSC account status and email :bang:
That is the most accurate emoji for how I feel.
I've put off applying to UIW's MBS program because I though for sure we would have heard back by now.

That is the most accurate emoji for how I feel.
I've put off applying to UIW's MBS program because I though for sure we would have heard back by now.
Ahahaha, yes that is the emojii for this cycle! I was hoping to get a decision by March 31st. Maybe there were (pre-med) acceptances after March 15th but they didn't post in this thread. I think the grad office would have less calls/emails about status updates if they put a calendar every year on the website listing multiple acceptance email dates based on a date range of when the application was marked complete. This would result in a lot less work and anxiety/depression for us all :claps:

Ahahaha, yes that is the emojii for this cycle! I was hoping to get a decision by March 31st. Maybe there were (pre-med) acceptances after March 15th but they didn't post in this thread. I think the grad office would have less calls/emails about status updates if they put a calendar every year on the website listing multiple acceptance email dates based on a date range of when the application was marked complete. This would result in a lot less work and anxiety/depression for us all :claps:

See, that would be for our personal convenience and that is NOT the name of their game :bored:
The waiting game wouldn't be so bad if I didn't just receive the last of my med school rejections AND this program is my last chance. This is the first time I've ever felt desperate in my life and it's a terrible feeling.

See, that would be for our personal convenience and that is NOT the name of their game :bored:
The waiting game wouldn't be so bad if I didn't just receive the last of my med school rejections AND this program is my last chance. This is the first time I've ever felt desperate in my life and it's a terrible feeling.
Completely understand! I have been rejected from other programs as well and felt lost on my next steps. After communicating with multiple staff and students in the program I know it's my best option but also have to remember a rejection is not a finite "no" it's just a "not right now." This has helped me to not stay in the dark place where rejection left me. It's a hard pill to swallow because I'm BEYOND ready to get started on this new path. We have to remember this program is NOT our LAST chance because if we truly believe we were created to serve this world as Physicians, there IS another way and we cannot give up if we do not get accepted into this particular program. With that being said, I hope you get that acceptance email!

Last edited:

Has your application at least been marked as Reviewed?

Oh shoot.
Just got their email.
ACCEPTED.

March 14th Marked Complete. Literally just got the email when I just posted. Holy crap.
cGPA and sGPA somewhere else in here. 509 MCAT.
Freaking out right now.

Oh shoot.
Just got their email.
ACCEPTED.

March 14th Marked Complete. Literally just got the email when I just posted. Holy crap.
cGPA and sGPA somewhere else in here. 509 MCAT.
Freaking out right now.

OMGGGG congratulations!!!! yay we have movement!

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to update people who are still waiting for their acceptances! I JUST received my acceptance email a couple of minutes ago. I submitted my application February 28th and was marked as complete around March 8th! Based on this, I think they are probably almost done reviewing most of the applications? Sending good luck to people who are still waiting!!

Congrats to those who've been accepted! I can personally attest how stressful the wait is haha. I submitted my app 3/1 and was marked complete around 3/13, but I haven't had a change in my status. It still says "Complete" and I haven't even received an "Under review" or a "Reviewed" yet. I'm seriously panicking!

Congrats to those who've been accepted! I can personally attest how stressful the wait is haha. I submitted my app 3/1 and was marked complete around 3/13, but I haven't had a change in my status. It still says "Complete" and I haven't even received an "Under review" or a "Reviewed" yet. I'm seriously panicking!
For what it's worth, I checked this morning and mine wasn't marked as Reviewed yet. Got my fingers crossed for you!

(Anyone wanna figure out the housing situation...)