Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Until then...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ELVIS, Jul 13, 1999.

1. Thanks for all the advice especialy you dogboy. I will recieve my undergrad. next May and I was wondering what any of you thought about the post-bac. programs. I will in all likely-hood have a year with nothing to do but study for the MCAT. So I was thinking that the post-bac might be an option for that year along with studying.
    By the way, I had not planned on submitting my August MCAT scores is there anyway schools can find these previoius scores when I apply next year?

2. alfredoatlas

alfredoatlas Member
    10+ Year Member

When you apply to Med Schools all of your MCAT scores are released

3. Henry

Henry Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You don't have to score your MCAT test this time. You can make this decision at the end of the test when they ask you.

But once you decided to record your score, it will stay on your account for life.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. njdevil

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The MCAT scores thing is pretty simple. If you released them when you took it...they are released everytime new scores are submitted. But if you take the MCAT and then don't release, take another and do. The school will only have the released score although they will know that you took it. I did this and only one out of the three interviews asked about the nonreported score.

You can always not release them and have them released later (it costs $$ though).

5. ND-AZCOM

ND-AZCOM New Member

Hey Elvis,

The post-bacc programs are out there, and some of them appear to be quite phenomenal. I have a friend going into the one at Georgetown next month. From the things I have heard, the best ones are those that place you in classes with medical students.
    I have info on 10+ programs, but I'm not sure where it is...If you have interest in clinical work, and any medical training or experience, you can probably find work as a "Patient Care Assistant," or some similar title. I recommend the ER, as you normally get to learn and perform the most tasks. By the time I finished a year, I had learned almost all the basic physical examination skills, much of the interviewing techniques, and other skills, such as casting, splinting, taking and reading EKGs, phlebotomy, IV maintenace, AND most critically, patient realtionships. I got to get in and see even more than my volunteer work had shown me, what medicine was like on the underside.

Sorry, I ramble on. I loved it, and if you'd rather do medicine than study it for a year, and you're grades are good enough already, I recommend it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. cowboybob

cowboybob Junior Member

An excellent resource listing post-bacc programs is located at Syracuse University.

URL:
    http://www-hl.syr.edu/hpap/listpb.htm#ToC

Health Professions Advisory Program (HPAP)
    College of Arts and Sciences
    Syracuse University
    312 Hall of Languages
    Syracuse, NY 13244-1170
    (315) 443-2321

I have specific info on PCOM, VCU/MCV, MCP-Hahnemann, and Barry (not-listed on site). But, most everything you want to know is here.

------------------
    cowboybob

7. Doreen

Doreen Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To cowboybob,

What is your opinion of Barry's MBS/Post-bacc program?

8. cowboybob

cowboybob Junior Member

I believe I will attend Barry's program in August of this year (accepted to it and several other programs). Obviously, I am not a current student;but, I have talked with students, investigated the school and program, and talked with administrators (namely, Dr. Ralph Laudan-Associate Dean) in The School of Natural and Health Sciences (program home). I suggest visiting their website at www.barry.edu. Of course, my opinion, in the end, counts for little; but, I do have some impressions...

Barry has a small program (40 students per year) with a wide age range. It is a cooperative environment and, although students take many of the same courses as first-year podiatry students (pods, as they are called by students in the program), they are not considered extra pod students.

I believe you need a minimum MCAT of 24 (8's across the board) and 3.0 undergrad for consideration (However, I AM NOT THE ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE! INFO COMES STRAIGHT FROM THE GRADUATE CATALOG!).

It is an intensive curriculum, two semesters and one summer in length. Classes include gross anatomy, nueroanatomy, physiology, histology, health care delivery, ethics, and biochem I and II (close to first-year medical school curricula at some schools).

However, living in sunny Miami is a plus, despite the crime in some areas (most students get apartments right near the school). Another plus is you get a master's of science degree in biomedical science after 1 YEAR. This may be of little to no value to most using it as a stepping stone to medical school. But, what if you don't get in on the first try? At least, you have a master's to work with.

Other programs do not award degrees after the first year (although most have options to get master's in the second year). This allows you to finish in August (with a degree) and start med school a few weeks later (yes, masochistic, I agree).

The cost is reasonable (private school/$450 per credit hour with program requiring 36 credit hrs.) and professors, from what I understand, seem accessible (small school advantage).

I applied early (in June), and was happy with the relative speed of processing my FA (check will cover the first semester, unlike some programs).

Overall, I am strongly leaning toward Barry because of location (I am from the South), size (went to smaller undergraduate university), and program design (one year master's).

But, PLEASE educate yourself about as many of the programs as possible. For instance, MCP-Hahnemann's MSP program has an MCAT prep component (only one I am aware where MCAT is integrated into the curriculum). First-time, low MCAT scorers may look into this program. However, if your grades are low and MCAT is o.k., you might be better suited for another program.

In the end, listen carefully to comments and then disregard them all because you know best what's best for you. Good luck!

------------------
    cowboybob

9. Doreen

Doreen Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, I have been accepted to Barry's MBS and Podiatric Med Program. I know someone who attended Barry and then received credit for some classes at the University of Miami and at NSUCOM which is where I've been waitlisted at. I've been contemplating what to do, the MBS or go to Podiatric med school for a year but I am getting a half-tuition scholarship for the "pod" school so I'm going to save some cash and go there for a year while reapplying. (Hey, I live in South Florida so it's even cheaper for me [​IMG] )