Untraditional Major: CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sleipnir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand from the many sites I've read about getting into med. school that your major doesn't matter. In my case, I went with computer science because it interests me, and I thought I could get a high GPA in it, which would make getting into medical school easier. However, my schedule is now starting to look really weird. Each quarter is a CS class, a science class, a math or something, and then a random GE or another science class. Everyone I tell I'm a pre-med just thinks I'm crazy.

My question is, should I pick a major closer to bio, since it would help me prepare for the MCAT more, and make filling the pre-requisites for med school easier?

Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

dude, as far as i can tell, you don't need much past the pre-reqs to do well on the mcat. you just need a solid knowledge base and test prep should take care of the rest. that's one of the major reasons you hear 'major in what interests you.'

yea the other reasons include maximizing chances of getting a high gpa and being a
well rounded applicant in terms of academics (ascertaining that coveted broad, liberal, and rigorous education).

the only thing with not majoring in science is you HAVE TO nail the pre-reqs assuming you wont have time for a lot of upper-division damage control for weak earlier grades.
also i've heard non-science majors get more scrutiny over why they are choosing medicine if they are not interested in sciece (as in only take pre reqs). this may be a myth tho, im speaking from what ive heard.

also, specifically concerning comp science, ive heard a non-trad on this board mention how med schools would love a greater share of really computer-literate individuals because of how medicine in delving deeper into reliance on technology from the most basic to the most complex components of the field. i could be wrong though, it's just something i remember reading on sdn.

at any rate, if you truly like CS, go for it. just be cognizent of all the pros and cons.

Stay with what you love. Be able to articulate why medicine.

You'll need: 1 yr of bio, the g chem-o chem sequence, a year of math (I'm sure that's covered by your major, but you should think about adding biostats), a year of physics. A lot of schools like to see b chem, humanities/BSOS, and comp sci (you've got that one ;)).

While nothing beyond that is technically required by a lot of schools, things like genetics, micro, cell, devo are either helpful for the MCAT or looked for by schools with additional requirements. The other thing about the MCAT is that it is a major critical thinking test-- this is at least as important as the basic courses.

Bryn Mawr has compiled pdfs of the schools with advanced requirements: http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/advanced.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. If I got a C on my first quarter chemistry class, does that pretty much screw me over since I'm not majoring in a science?

Also, any thoughts on acceptance rates for CS majors vs Bio-related majors?

Thanks for the input.

Nope, just do better on your next sequences ( ochem).

I'm going to make up numbers here:

There are lots and lots and lots of science majors, so fewer of them get in (like... 125/600.) But there are only.... 135 CS majors, and 100 them get in, so the stats look better... It's really about doing what you like and doing well in it and taking the prereqs and being able to be articulate and whatnot.

I understand from the many sites I've read about getting into med. school that your major doesn't matter. In my case, I went with computer science because it interests me, and I thought I could get a high GPA in it, which would make getting into medical school easier. However, my schedule is now starting to look really weird. Each quarter is a CS class, a science class, a math or something, and then a random GE or another science class. Everyone I tell I'm a pre-med just thinks I'm crazy.

My question is, should I pick a major closer to bio, since it would help me prepare for the MCAT more, and make filling the pre-requisites for med school easier?

Thanks for any input

If you enjoy computer science, and especially if you're good at it, you should absolutely major in it. There's nothing wrong with taking CS classes on top of math and science courses, as long as you can maintain a good gpa. As a physics major, all I took were science and math classes. And if you're interested in getting involved in research, computer science has a lot of applications to medicine.

Best part of being a CS major is you can actually get hired once you graduate in case you don't get into med school immediately.

You can get nice stock options at a corporation, free perks at a start-up, good money from home as a contractor.

If you continue to enjoy it, endure. It'll pay off in the long run.

Thanks. If I got a C on my first quarter chemistry class, does that pretty much screw me over since I'm not majoring in a science?

Getting a C is never a good thing. Getting As never hurts an application

Also, any thoughts on acceptance rates for CS majors vs Bio-related majors?

Not an advantage or disadvantage in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies. Is there a stat page that gives acceptances numbers by major or something?

Also, sort of unrelated, but after getting a C my first sem in chem, I'm working harder now. I got a 72 on our last midterm for this semester and the high was 90 (out of 100). How would a curve look like this?

Thanks again

Thanks for any input

No. Stick with CS but make sure you make good grades. The beauty of this is, that it doesn't matter what you major in. You'll be studying bio and medicine all through med school. So unless you really love that, then do something else in undergraduate. Most undergraduates have the pressures of studying something that will provide them a good job when they graduate. Elective courses are a luxury most students don't have. But if you know for sure that you want to go to med school, then you can study whatever you want in college! For this reason, I highly recommend against the traditional 'pre-med' route. The pre-med adviser will try to tell you that you need to be a bio major, but he is completely wrong. Med schools don't care - study things you love. Since you love them and find them interesting, you'll be more likely to devote time to them and make good grades, which is what this is really all about anyway, so it's a win-win.

That said, CS can be brutal, but if you love it and have a natural gift at programming, then I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.

Ditto what everyone else has said. If you enjoy CS, stick with it. The basic pre-med requirements are minimal, and technically you don't need higher level bio/chem to succeed on the MCAT. In fact (speaking as a CS degree-holder), I think training in CS is really helpful for the MCAT, because it develops one's critical thinking skills.

The only problem I might have with the situation (if I had done what you are doing--I did a post-bacc) is that, with the heavy CS courseload and the pre-med reqs, I might not have had time for all the other electives I enjoyed taking as an undergrad. But if that's not an issue for you, by all means...! :luck:

I just got accepted with a CS degree. :) As for the MCAT and school prerequisites, I have only taken the minimum course requirements and an MCAT prep course which were plenty for me.

I didn't get in on my first shot, but largely due to lack of clinical experience. Also, as others have said, I have been working making excellent money in the meantime. You will need to articulate and demonstrate your desire to go into medicine despite your major, and as long as you do that you'll be fine.

furthermore, you can easily make $10000 or more every summer with a CS internship while you're in school. pocket that money and pay your first year's tuition in cash at med school.

Getting a C is never a good thing. Getting As never hurts an application

Not an advantage or disadvantage in my opinion.

Getting one or two C's in your college career is not going to be horrible for you as long as you make up for it by dominating all of your other classes. Not everybody can 4.0 all their classes