Unusual Circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klobdob

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have gotten the impression that volunteer work is an important factor in getting accepted to medical school, however, I have unusual circumstances. I am a recovering addict. I attend a twelve step program and do service work for this fellowship. This is a big part of my life and who I am. It takes up a large amount of my time. (At least 3 nights a week,usually more) The service work I do includes visiting jails, prisons, and treatment facilities. So here's my question. Is this something I should keep to myself? To me, this is a strong point, but I am afraid others won't see it that way. I also don't know how I would explain what I am doing with my time if I didn't mention it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a very strong point in you as a person and it is indeed very noble work. However, I think if adcoms know you are a "recovering" anything, it will taint your application, narrow-minded and short-sighted as that may be. I am sure you could write about your experiences helping others without mentioning your own problems. I don't agree with the bias you'll be facing with adcoms as a recovering addict, but I think it's best not to mention it. But that's just my opinion; there may be others on this board who have circumstances similar to yours who wrote about them and found that it was a tremendous boost to their application. Good Luck!

I agree with fialslug. Don't mention it.

It's best to stay positive in an application, especially the essay portion of the AMCAS application. If you receive a question in your secondaries about what obstacles you have overcome, then this would be a better time to mention your recovery.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally know a guy who was arristed on possesion of Marijuana charges, went into rehab, and is now a second year med student! It took him two tries to get accepted, the first time he was honest (ie he checkedthe little "Have you been arrested" box); but he was rejected. The second time he was both honest, and open about it. He actually had a rec letter written by his sponsor. That time he was accepted. I think you should be as honest as possible, your stuggles make you more qualified in some enlightened peoples' minds. I hope this helps, Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited 07-09-2000).]

The safest and most conservative approach is to not mention it.