MD Unusual M.D. Applicant...HELP is needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardioRadio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're not a troll. Make other career plans because you are not going to be a doctor.

Hi,
Situation:

- I am a student who attended M.I.T with a chemistry major emphasizing on Biochemistry.
- I have a 3.93 cumulative GPA and a 3.90 science GPA according to AMCAS.
- I graduated last year.
- I have done research for 2 years in a biology heavy laboratory (no publication but good experience).
- I have an MCAT of 25 , bad verbal score bellow 4 and English is my second language.
- I have volunteered at the Ohio State University Medical Center for about a year
- I have shadowed a primary care physician for six months meaning over 200 hours.
- I am an Ohio Resident
- I have 4 LORs that are great from people who actually offered me to write for me a letter of rec. without me asking and they know me pretty well.
- I communicate effectively.
-I am NOT an Under Represented Minority.

Results:
I applied this year got accepted to a Caribbean M.D. school but declined the offer because they needed money the moment they gave me the acceptance letter but I don't have money (i am broke haha) I also got waitlisted at a U.S. M.D. after applying to 14 schools but I will hear the decision after May.

I need help! I cannot raise my verbal score at all because I cannot understand verbal it is not my thing. I tried all the methods and got no improvement. I could raise my science scores enough to get a 30 (but still it is hard but do-able). Anyways, my future plans is to get into Diagnostic Radiology or Internal Medicine followed by Cardiology from a Caribbean medical school like AUC or Ross. What is your opinion and advise?!!

I don't want to get into D.O. schools because they have a different ideology than M.D.!!!

I appreciate reading and your time!

Reactions: 1 user
I am not a troll. I am being honest! This is my true situation, and I need help not career changing plans!

I'm assuming you're not a troll. Make other career plans because you are not going to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I don't want to get into D.O. schools because they have a different ideology than M.D.!!!

I appreciate reading and your time!

Let's not even discuss the verbal score here (which alone will bar you from pretty much all med schools at this point)...Although D.O. schools might have a slightly "different ideology" the type of medicine you will practice is more or less the same, with the exception of OMT. In terms of areas of care D.O.'s are mainly focused on primary care fields and compete for the same residencies as regular MD's do.

Let's not even discuss the verbal score here (which alone will bar you from pretty much all med schools at this point)...Although D.O. schools might have a slightly "different ideology" the type of medicine you will practice is more or less the same, with the exception of OMT. In terms of areas of care D.O.'s are mainly focused on primary care fields and compete for the same residencies as regular MD's do.

My other issue with D.O. is I want to practice medicine in my country of origin along with the U.S. after obtaining training in the U.S.! D.O.s are not accredited at the medical council of my country and not able to practice medicine.

My other issue with D.O. is I want to practice medicine in my country of origin along with the U.S. after obtaining training in the U.S.! D.O.s are not accredited at the medical council of my country and not able to practice medicine.

Unless you have an extreme extenuating circumstance (significant reading disability or outrageous EC's) you'll have to increase that verbal score. If medicine is truly what you want to do, invest in private tutoring and read as much as you can in your spare time. There's no other way around it, honestly.

Unless you have an extreme extenuating circumstance (significant reading disability or outrageous EC's) you'll have to increase that verbal score. If medicine is truly what you want to do, invest in private tutoring and read as much as you can in your spare time. There's no other way around it, honestly.

I do have an "outrageous EC's" which is basically why I came to America from my country of origin that is involved in wars and it is unstable. I was a victim and that is why I came to America.

That won't be enough to get you into a medical school. We see plenty of applicants who have been refugees or children of refugees. The former typically have English skills so poor it would be a danger to let them touch patients.

I do have an "outrageous EC's" which is basically why I came to America from my country of origin that is involved in wars and it is unstable. I was a victim and that is why I came to America.

This is a sad situation because really the only thing to do is do well on the mcat. If this is impossible as you say, you need a new career. You're simply not going to make it to US MD. Alternatively save money and reapply caribbean.

Is everyone ignoring the fact that he says he got WAITLISTED at a US M.D. school? Why would he get waitlisted if he's such a poor candidate?

Please read the OP's post. He didn't get waitlisted, he was accepted to a Carib school. One can do that by simply breathing and writing an up-front tuition check.

Is everyone ignoring the fact that he says he got WAITLISTED at a US M.D. school? Why would he get waitlisted if he's such a poor candidate?

Please read the OP's post. He didn't get waitlisted, he was accepted to a Carib school. One can do that by simply breathing and writing an up-front tuition check.

I read his post. Here is what he said:

"I applied this year got accepted to a Caribbean M.D. school but declined the offer because they needed money the moment they gave me the acceptance letter but I don't have money (i am broke haha) I also got waitlisted at a U.S. M.D. after applying to 14 schools but I will hear the decision after May."

frankly, I amazed he got an interview. the personal story definitely caught the eye of someone in Admissions. Unfortunately, the people on the AdCom think differently. On one hand, people (even me)) like to take chances on risky candidates, but the typical story at my school ends something like this:

AdCom member: "Nice guy/gal, but I'm really concerned about that MCAT score."

I read his post. Here is what he said:

"I applied this year got accepted to a Caribbean M.D. school but declined the offer because they needed money the moment they gave me the acceptance letter but I don't have money (i am broke haha) I also got waitlisted at a U.S. M.D. after applying to 14 schools but I will hear the decision after May."

Extremely low VR seems like a definite red flag to me - physicians with questionable reading skills are bound to lead questionable careers. Regardless the OP has retracted his original statement so further discussion on this topic seems moot.