Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD Unusual M.D. Applicant...HELP is needed!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by CardioRadio, 01.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. CardioRadio

CardioRadio

Medical Student

Last edited: 01.14.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    I'm assuming you're not a troll. Make other career plans because you are not going to be a doctor.

chemguy79 likes this.
  4. CardioRadio

CardioRadio

Medical Student
    I am not a troll. I am being honest! This is my true situation, and I need help not career changing plans!

5. Wonton Soup

Wonton Soup II me plz? 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Let's not even discuss the verbal score here (which alone will bar you from pretty much all med schools at this point)...Although D.O. schools might have a slightly "different ideology" the type of medicine you will practice is more or less the same, with the exception of OMT. In terms of areas of care D.O.'s are mainly focused on primary care fields and compete for the same residencies as regular MD's do.

Goro likes this.
  6. CardioRadio

CardioRadio

Medical Student
    My other issue with D.O. is I want to practice medicine in my country of origin along with the U.S. after obtaining training in the U.S.! D.O.s are not accredited at the medical council of my country and not able to practice medicine.

7. Wonton Soup

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Unless you have an extreme extenuating circumstance (significant reading disability or outrageous EC's) you'll have to increase that verbal score. If medicine is truly what you want to do, invest in private tutoring and read as much as you can in your spare time. There's no other way around it, honestly.

CardioRadio likes this.
  8. CardioRadio

CardioRadio

Medical Student
    I do have an "outrageous EC's" which is basically why I came to America from my country of origin that is involved in wars and it is unstable. I was a victim and that is why I came to America.

9. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    That won't be enough to get you into a medical school. We see plenty of applicants who have been refugees or children of refugees. The former typically have English skills so poor it would be a danger to let them touch patients.

10. Wonton Soup

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
  11. AlbinoHawk DO

AlbinoHawk DO Student Osteopath 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is a sad situation because really the only thing to do is do well on the mcat. If this is impossible as you say, you need a new career. You're simply not going to make it to US MD. Alternatively save money and reapply caribbean.

12. QuinnTheEskimo

QuinnTheEskimo

Pre-Medical
    Is everyone ignoring the fact that he says he got WAITLISTED at a US M.D. school? Why would he get waitlisted if he's such a poor candidate?

13. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Please read the OP's post. He didn't get waitlisted, he was accepted to a Carib school. One can do that by simply breathing and writing an up-front tuition check.

14. QuinnTheEskimo

QuinnTheEskimo

Pre-Medical
    I read his post. Here is what he said:

"I applied this year got accepted to a Caribbean M.D. school but declined the offer because they needed money the moment they gave me the acceptance letter but I don't have money (i am broke haha) I also got waitlisted at a U.S. M.D. after applying to 14 schools but I will hear the decision after May."

15. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    frankly, I amazed he got an interview. the personal story definitely caught the eye of someone in Admissions. Unfortunately, the people on the AdCom think differently. On one hand, people (even me)) like to take chances on risky candidates, but the typical story at my school ends something like this:

AdCom member: "Nice guy/gal, but I'm really concerned about that MCAT score."

Wonton Soup likes this.
  16. Wonton Soup

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Extremely low VR seems like a definite red flag to me - physicians with questionable reading skills are bound to lead questionable careers. Regardless the OP has retracted his original statement so further discussion on this topic seems moot.

About the ads