Unwinding the Welfare State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and oddly enough, many of those people who will be hurt the most by trump voted for him (and in effect, ryan)...

ultimately, more money for the bourgeois and less for the proletariat...

The good thing about returning power to the states is that you can always move to another state if you don't like it. If you want a large safety net, you can move to California where liberal policies reign. It would not even be that "radical" if Ryan were proposing to completely eliminate federal funding for Medicaid. The states can tax their citizens more if they want to provide this service.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It returns both power and responsibility to the state. If the state wants to waste precious health care dollars paying for sex change operations, then they can foot the bill for it.

I think returning Medicaid to the states is a good thing. Medicaid is supposed to cover essentials so people don't die in the street, not free ER visits and a taxi whenever you're bored or want a fix.

There's always some cockamamie excuse why the liberal residents of a state cannot implement their own reforms. The residents of the State of California have to lobby Washington to impose their vision on all 50 states. And they want it done it NOW because it's an EMERGENCY.

It reminds me of when I was in the Peace Corps in training. Someone came up with the idea that we should all have a relaxation session every morning before language training. The people who came up with the idea tried to make it mandatory for everyone to wake up an hour early to go to a relaxation session. They were saying that they can't relax unless EVERYONE participates. I'm totally serious. It never worked out because after the point was made that relaxation is good and group therapy is good and mandatory is good, no one actually wanted to get up early.

Reactions: 1 users
You would think that those who support bundled payments to hospitals/physicians would support the idea of "block granting".

Reactions: 1 user
ultimately, more money for the bourgeois and less for the proletariat...

:laugh:You've used those terms before and I can't tell your tone from the posts. Makes it sound like you're the author of the SDN communist manifesto.

There's always some cockamamie excuse why the liberal residents of a state cannot implement their own reforms. The residents of the State of California have to lobby Washington to impose their vision on all 50 states. And they want it done it NOW because it's an EMERGENCY.

It reminds me of when I was in the Peace Corps in training. Someone came up with the idea that we should all have a relaxation session every morning before language training. The people who came up with the idea tried to make it mandatory for everyone to wake up an hour early to go to a relaxation session. They were saying that they can't relax unless EVERYONE participates. I'm totally serious. It never worked out because after the point was made that relaxation is good and group therapy is good and mandatory is good, no one actually wanted to get up early.

I would achieve a state of relaxation far more easily in a social arrangement that did not require my non-consensual participation in mandatory 'relaxation' activities :).

Right now, at VA, we have the wonderful 'employee engagement' mandate that involves mandated 'employee engagement' of supervisors with supervisees. Now, the mere fact that an organization would have to MANDATE employee engagement is a rich source of irony in and of itself.

The central component of practical emotional self-defense is the recognition that anyone who utilizes even psychological force (manipulation) to influence you to do something that you don't want to do (and doesn't take 'no' for an answer) is actually, in a sense, committing an act of psychological aggression.