UofM or Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school has a better overall reputation for medical school and residency programs.

Members don't see this ad.

normalforce said:
Which school has a better overall reputation for medical school and residency programs.

Northwestern

gary5 said:
Northwestern

For medical school? I'm not too sure about that.

-Ice

Members don't see this ad :)
UofM = Maryland or Minnesota or Michigan?

tinkerbelle said:
UofM = Maryland or Minnesota or Michigan?

Sorry. Michigan. I am just curious, more specifically about how they are perceived in the midwest. I know both are outstanding places, but I am looking for a general opinion from everyone.

normalforce said:

Actually this one definitely goes to Michigan, especially if you want to do surgical specialties

i would say michigan--and i'm an NU alum!

unless you want to go into PM&R.

ditto the michigan ... i'm an NU alum too.

although maybe rotating in the chicago hospitals will give you better opportunities?

6 of one, half dozen of the other. go where you feel you'll be happiest - in chicago, or a mid-sized college town in michigan. both schools are great. umich is better name recognition, i guess, and obviously if you're a USNWR number person, umich is top 10, so maybe that's the ranking thingy you're looking for in terms of residency/whatnot, but whatever ... i know people very happy at both places and i know unhappy people at both places. (although i think after med school i will be def. ready to get out of michigan for once.... ;) )

but i do love my school. :)