UofMinn. acceptance with low MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RFHawks

The Road to NeuroRad
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to SDN. I am currently a pre-med at the U of Minnesota, psychology major, non-trad student, parent, previous occupation = musician. Upon my return to academics, my GPA went from around 3.0 to 4.0. This last semester was more difficult as my first child was born and my GPA dropped to 3.827. I got A's in all of my science courses except OChem 2 and Physics 2 = B for both.

I have a family established in MN and do not want to uproot us to another state, so my ideal school is the UofM med-school. We are too poor to pay for child-care and my daughter has 6 grandparents more than willing to watch her, which makes being a full-time student possible.

My question is that I am taking the MCAT on May 1st, and my practice score was 26 (not great at all). I am wondering what my chances are of getting accepted to this particular school if my real test score is not much better. Does having a great PS or high GPA make up for a lower test score at this school?

I would put the test off until after the semester but I have read and heard numerous times to get the app. in as early as possible. UofM app starts June 1.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I could tell you the range of stats that UMinnesota has traditionally selected from, but nontrads are often looked at differently by adcomms. Since your school focus is so limited, and you're right there, I'd suggest you make an appointment with a dean and relate your story to get the best possible advice about where you stand with your GPAs and potential MCAT score.

OP, try not to worry too much about your MCAT. When you take the actual exam it might end up being higher than your practice scores.

I was at pre-med day yesterday and got a feel of what they are looking for in an applicant. Test scores and GPA aren't everything. They really look at everything you have done to show your commitment. Make sure you have shown dedication to the profession through work experience or volunteering. And make sure you have a damn good reason in your personal statement about why you want to be a physician and try to get a letter of recommendation to back up that reason. If you can show your passion, not tell it, you have a great chance of getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again. I know I have a good PS, my story is pretty unique. I went from being a lead guitar-player to a pre-med. But since being a father and a full time student has limited my time for EC activities, the most I have done is about 8-9 months volunteering in a ED with Psych facilities and shadowing in ED, Interventional Rad, Neuro-Interventional Rad, Ortho., some others. I just hope that adcomms will take that into account. Nontrads usually don't live on campus, have jobs, kids, etc. I also have some volunteer experience in an at-risk teen facility for about four months. I have other ECs not medical related by musical, like graduating top of my class in performance, putting on a two hour graduation recital, recording an album, etc.

I will take your advice though and make an appt with a dean. I never thought of that before. I think that my best advantage is my life experience. I have had a great time but it has gone from one end of a spectrum to another. Shredding on stage to wanting to do something more involved with my community.

I forgot to mention that my letters are from my old boss who can attest to my dedication to my goals, teamwork/leadership experience, mostly character attributes; an academic letter regarding my intellectual faculties; and a doc I have known for about 15 years or so who has seen me make this unusual transition. Not in great detail, but enough I think (hope!).

Thanks again. I know I have a good PS, my story is pretty unique. I went from being a lead guitar-player to a pre-med. But since being a father and a full time student has limited my time for EC activities, the most I have done is about 8-9 months volunteering in a ED with Psych facilities and shadowing in ED, Interventional Rad, Neuro-Interventional Rad, Ortho., some others. I just hope that adcomms will take that into account. Nontrads usually don't live on campus, have jobs, kids, etc. I also have some volunteer experience in an at-risk teen facility for about four months. I have other ECs not medical related by musical, like graduating top of my class in performance, putting on a two hour graduation recital, recording an album, etc.

I will take your advice though and make an appt with a dean. I never thought of that before. I think that my best advantage is my life experience. I have had a great time but it has gone from one end of a spectrum to another. Shredding on stage to wanting to do something more involved with my community.

Good luck! Don't try to meet with Cerra - It's a lost cause on many levels. 1. He's done after this year and 2. He doesn't meet with premeds

Paul White is probably your best bet who is the director of admissions, but he still seems like a busy guy. However, he does seem more interested in student affairs since he was the lead speaker at pre-med day.

Again, good luck with everything!

Thanks again and you too! I went to Pre-Med day when I was still considering a medical career. This was before I had any shadowing or volunteer exp. and Paul White was the speaker that day too.

I made an appointment to talk to Dean White during last year's application cycle. He probably won't have a lot of time right now, as May 15th is coming up and the admissions office is certainly busy working on filling the entering class of 2010. Dean White would probably have more time during the summer to talk to you. He does take time to look at your records (in my case, my previous applications and my new resume) and will give you frank advice on what he thinks about your application.

I called the health career center and they said that a meeting with Dean White would be next to impossible. Also, I took the MCAT on May 1st and do not feel good about it. I didn't even finish the PS section! I took four of the AAMC practice tests and found the actual test to be totally different. On the actual, there was a ton of Magnetism stuff and OChem mechanisms. Two of my weakest areas.

I'm going to apply regardless of my test score, but am nervous about it. I talked to another non-trad student who got accepted into WA state with a liberal arts background, 3.9 GPA, and 27 MCAT. She also applied really early and nailed her interview. What do you all think?