UofWaterloo Optometry Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received a reply back from Waterloo and they said that the criminal Record Check will only be required if you are admitted! So we will receive more information on it only if/after we are admitted. So we don't have to worry about it until probably March... Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey do you guys know if there will be Multiple Mini Interviews? I figured since we had to do CASPR that we they won't have us to MMIs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey do you guys know if there will be Multiple Mini Interviews? I figured since we had to do CASPR that we they won't have us to MMIs?

I guess it doesn't explicitly say MMI, but that's what it has always been in past years so I can't imagine it would change...

Reactions: 1 user
Ok maybe I'm wrong? Maybe this year is just straight up interviews...

I would still familiarize yourself with MMI though. I honestly don't know what they will throw at us!

Last edited:
The more I looked into it though the more I'm guessing they will be panel interviews? The wording is quite different from last years descriptions... I think this is more about us and who we are

The more I looked into it though the more I'm guessing they will be panel interviews? The wording is quite different from last years descriptions... I think this is more about us and who we are
Did you interview last year? I figured things might be changed around this year ever since I saw the CASPR requirement come up on their website.

Did you interview last year? I figured things might be changed around this year ever since I saw the CASPR requirement come up on their website.

Yeah I did! That's why I went back to look at my email to see the attachment they sent about interviews before!

The website also says a "A personal interview with faculty and members of the profession". I'm not sure how everyone else would interpret it, but I wouldn't exactly call MMI style interviews overly 'personal'.

Maybe I'm wrong, but personally I'm assuming they won't be MMI!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I emailed optometry admissions asking if the interview would be MMI, and they replied and said "the information didn't contain information about MMI's as there are no MMI's. All of the available information was in the pdf."

I hope that helps, and best of luck to everyone for the interview!

Hello everyone,

I emailed optometry admissions asking if the interview would be MMI, and they replied and said "the information didn't contain information about MMI's as there are no MMI's. All of the available information was in the pdf."

I hope that helps, and best of luck to everyone for the interview!

Yay thanks for the update! Best of luck to you as well!

It will not be MMI format, but you should still be prepared for MMI type questions from a panel of interviewers.

ahhhhh, i wish i'd known this earlier! does anyone know how long the interviews will be then?

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhhhh, i wish i'd known this earlier! does anyone know how long the interviews will be then?

Mine starts at 8:30AM and ends around 12:30PM (said the email) so I guess around 4 hours.

Interviews shouldn't take the full four hours! That will include the time for an introduction and a tour/round table talk etc. My guess would be that the interview will be just over an hour, but they could be upwards of two hours!

Hello! I hope the interviews went well. I just wanted to let everyone know what happened last year to ease some of the anxiety while waiting for admission decisions. Don't bother phoning the optometry office and bothering Marie because she can't tell you anything.

Last year admission decisions were released on March 29th in the morning on Quest. 90 people were given the conditionally admitted status (they were in!), many were denied, and 25-30 (this number can vary) were placed on a wait list. The wait list applicants' status on Quest remained at "no decision has been made". A formal letter of admission was mailed out to the people who had been accepted.

The number of applicants accepted that eventually decline for various reasons varies from year to year. It could be 5, 10 or even 25. Applicants who are accepted are given 3 weeks to accept and then the office starts calling people on the wait list. Last year the person at number one on the list was called on April 22.

If you are on the wait list you will be called and given your ranking (what number you are on the list). If a spot opens up you will be called and offered admission. People still decline admission after they have initially accepted. I have heard of one person who was on the wait list that wasn't called until the middle of August that there was a spot open.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Anybody know when we should be sending in our fall transcripts? Will they be sending us an email for that or are we supposed to just mail them ASAP?

Anybody know when we should be sending in our fall transcripts? Will they be sending us an email for that or are we supposed to just mail them ASAP?
The website says that January 30th, 2017 is the Deadline by which all final fall (September to December) 2016 transcripts must be received at the Registrar's Office, Needles Hall.

The website says that January 30th, 2017 is the Deadline by which all final fall (September to December) 2016 transcripts must be received at the Registrar's Office, Needles Hall.
Crap!! I better send that in now then

Or if you sent in the transcripts for the October deadline, you can still upload an unofficial one on quest as it allows one unofficial one per school!

Hey guys!

My transcript arrived at Waterloo's registrar's office last Friday on January 20th.... Its been a week now and my QUEST account still hasn't updated saying my transcript has arrived.

Im freaking out because I know my transcript has been at Waterloo for a week, but they still haven't processed it I guess and the deadline is Monday!

Is anyone else in this same situation with their QUEST account not updating?

Hey guys!

My transcript arrived at Waterloo's registrar's office last Friday on January 20th.... Its been a week now and my QUEST account still hasn't updated saying my transcript has arrived.

Im freaking out because I know my transcript has been at Waterloo for a week, but they still haven't processed it I guess and the deadline is Monday!

Is anyone else in this same situation with their QUEST account not updating?

Yup, same thing for me too! But I'm sure they'll get around to updating quest but it might just be taking longer. If anything you could call the Registrar's office and double check as to when they'll update quest. This happened to me for the October deadline, it just took some time but they did update it before Oct. 26. If it's not up on Monday, I would call to double check! If you're really worried about it though, try calling today to give you an extra day.

Yup, same thing for me too! But I'm sure they'll get around to updating quest but it might just be taking longer. If anything you could call the Registrar's office and double check as to when they'll update quest. This happened to me for the October deadline, it just took some time but they did update it before Oct. 26. If it's not up on Monday, I would call to double check! If you're really worried about it though, try calling today to give you an extra day.
Thanks that makes me feel a little better! :)

I did call and e-mai but they said they receive thousands of documents a week and it could be awhile! Hoping it updates by Monday!

Mine has updated so your's will probably be updated soon as well :)

Thanks that makes me feel a little better! :)

I did call and e-mai but they said they receive thousands of documents a week and it could be awhile! Hoping it updates by Monday!

That's what they told me in October as well! Don't worry, even if it's not updated by Monday, I think it's still okay. If anything goes wrong, I think if you can show that it arrived via FedEx (or whatever else your school uses) I'm sure it would be okay! But I know, waiting for it to show up on Quest is so nerve-racking. :p Hang in there though! :)

That's what they told me in October as well! Don't worry, even if it's not updated by Monday, I think it's still okay. If anything goes wrong, I think if you can show that it arrived via FedEx (or whatever else your school uses) I'm sure it would be okay! But I know, waiting for it to show up on Quest is so nerve-racking. :p Hang in there though! :)
Hey did your QUEST account update yet saying your transcript was received?

Did anyone update their AIF with their Fall grades as well?

Did anyone update their AIF with their Fall grades as well?
Yes I did! I assumed we should since we are able to edit that part of the AIF. Probably not a huge deal if you didn't though! You can still update those now :)

Yes I did! I assumed we should since we are able to edit that part of the AIF. Probably not a huge deal if you didn't though! You can still update those now :)
You can't update them now they're not clickable :(

Oh shoot... That must have just switched over today because I could still click them yesterday! It did say on the application instructions PDF that we needed to submit our transcripts and update the AIF by Jan 30th, but it shouldn't be a big deal since they have your transcripts!

Last edited:
We are going to be ok!! On the bottom of the pdf form it says to either send in a transcript to the registrar's office OR upload it on quest

:)

Happy March everyone!! Who else is excited to hear back this month?
Here's the dates acceptances were sent out from the past few years incase anyone is wondering:
2016 cycle: Tues March 29
2015 cycle: Thurs March 19
2014 cycle: Mon March 17

Reactions: 2 users
The anticipation is KILLING me... I can't wait to hear!!

Reactions: 2 users
The anticipation is KILLING me... I can't wait to hear!!
Me too! I really hope they come out soon but my guess is that it'll be the last week of march.

Just keep waiting... just keep waiting... lol :(

the waiting is killing me! i check quest right when i wake up and sometimes in the middle of my day even though it'll probably be during the last week of march :(

I'm not sure if you guys saw in past forums, but word was that quest would update around 830a (Ontario time) and the email would arrive mid day! Hope that helps!

I'm not sure if you guys saw in past forums, but word was that quest would update around 830a (Ontario time) and the email would arrive mid day! Hope that helps!
I'm TTOOOO nervous. EEEEEPPPP

Only 2 more weeks guys!! The wait will soon be over :)

Fingers crossed we find out next week instead of the actual end of march!! I'm getting way too anxious waiting...

Admit.

I am really disappointed in Waterloo... I thought this school was supposed to be prestigious. If someone's on the waitlist don't worry, I'm more than likely not going to accept my offer and just go to medical school.

I'm 1st on the waitlist! Thank god!!

Likely see you all in the fall! :)

I have not received a decision yet. Has this happened to anyone else? My OAT score was 400/400 and I have a 4.0GPA so I figured I would have heard something.
Neither have I. I'm thinking it's going to be over a few days like the interviews...

Where do you check on Quest?

If you click "optometry" in the application section, it will take you to a new page and you can see your status. It probably still says "application".

The results aren't out yet, I think some people are trying to have some fun and make the rest of us worry.

Last edited: