UOMHS CHANGES NAME TODAY!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

reddog

To all those interested, the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences (UOMHS)in Des Moines, Iowa announced suddenly today that the Board of Directors met over the weekend and adopted a new name for the school:
Des Moines University-Osteopathic Medical Center.

Members don't see this ad.

reddog, you beat me to it. I'm rather glad the university changed names. Telling somebody that I attend "the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences" takes to long, and normally the person has no greater understanding of where I attend school. Des Moines University-Osteopathic Medical Center provides a clearer picture of what kind of school it is, as well as where it is. Hopefully more good changes are on the way (like tearing down building 3).

Hey Mev! You gotta tell me about Des Moines! I'm coming up next month and people keep cracking jokes to me about it.
smile.gif

How do you like it??

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

Sara
Des Moines is OK. The school is great, which makes up for what the town lacks. Of course your opinion of the town will depend on where you're form. I'm from Wichita, Kansas, which is slightly larger than Des Moines, but pretty comparable as far as services go. My main complaint about Des Moines is the road system. Many of the roads are narrow 2-lane roads, and VERY bumpy. Thankfully, they're repaving many of them in my area, including 35th St. in Des Moines, which runs past my apartment up to the school. There's some pretty good restaurants, an arena football team, a hockey team, a semi-pro basketball team, none of which I of seen play. The school is in a pretty good neighborhood, at least when compared to KCOM [KCOMers please don't take offense
smile.gif
]. It's an older neighborhood, with a lot of nice, old houses in the near vacinity. Housing near campus is variable, ranging from really nice, expensive apartments to trashy (but still not cheap) apartments. They have decent parks and bike trails here, and a pretty nice lake north of town. Overall, it'll do me for two years, which is all I plan to spend in Des Moies. Hope this helps!