UOMHS Des Moines interview advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VM

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have an interview with UOMHS. Can anyone give me any information about it that would be helpful. Is it a hard, stressful interview with tough questions? Also do they interview a lot of students or only those students they are serious about. Please also feel free to E-mail me. Thank You. VM

Members don't see this ad.

VM,
Here is my perspective on the UOMHS interview (I will be atteding this August). . .

It really is an enjoyable day. You will learn a lot about the school and get a chance to talk with lots of students. The interview itself was not stressful for me. They didn't ask any "tricky" questions. It was more of a conversation. They didn't ask me any of the questions I had anticipated (why do you want to be a doctor, why osteopathic medicine etc.) It seemed like they were mainly interested in getting to know me as a person. I left my interview feeling like I did not have a chance to really "sell" the points I had planned in my mind because the interview was so conversational. But, apparently this did not hurt my application since I was accepted.

My advice to you is just be yourself. From what they told me and from what other students have said, your chances of acceptance are very good if you have been offered an interview. Check out the interview feedback website to read all kinds of things about this topic. Enjoy your time in Des Moines, take a good look at the school and ask questions. I think you will find everyone to be very friendly and open about answering any questions you may have.

If you have other questions, feel free to send me an e-mail. Good luck!

Laura

The fact that you were chosen for an interview is a great point in your favor. UOMHS interviews about 400 or so and admits 300, so your chances are great just starting off! Enjoy yourself, they've done most of the culling in selecting those people for an interview.

Like Laura said, enjoy yourself. They just want to get to know you. I would still prepare for the interview. After all, it's better to be too prepared then not prepared enough. I, myself, was very nervous about it until the day arrived, then I relaxed and enjoyed myself. Talk to the people, ask questions, get a feel for whether this is really where you want to go to school.

Yes, I was selected and hope to see you in August. Have fun and laugh at Dr. Murphy's and Dr. Bates' jokes. Some of them aren't too bad and it'll help you relax. C ya!

Jason

Members don't see this ad :)
VM,

i've had job interviews more stressful than the interview i had at UOMHS. what really impressed me about the school was the open, frank, and community attitudes by not only the students but also the faculty. the new dean of the University took time out to have lunch with us!! the whole process was very stress free. here's an example of my point...before my interview, about 15 students were practicing for an upcoming OMM practical in the student arboretum. they recognized that i was interviewing and they ALL came over to offer me advise for the interview. they even wanted to know who was interviewing me so they could give me some inside info about the interviewer's interests and personalities for me to use in the interview. then to top it all off, they did some OMM on me...i suspect as a test subject...to relax me prior to my interview. it was all very pleasant. enjoy yourself and remember, this is also your opportunity to ask the interviewers some questions you might have about the school. i did...i asked them what they thought was the school's strengths and weaknesses because i equally needed to know if UOMHS was the "right" school for me. so it all worked out fine, they liked my answers and i liked their's. hope to see you in aug. good luck, rene

[This message has been edited by RC (edited 03-10-99).]

VM,

UOMHS was my very first interview, so you can imagine how nervous I was. I can't emphasize enough how low-stress the experience really is. What everyone has said previously is completely true. They tell you straight up there are no intentionally tricky questions, no paper clips left on the table just to see if you'll fidget with them. (Dr. Bates told us about an allopathic school that does that to their interviewees). My interview was a little over 30 min, but the time flew by. My 2 interviewers (Dr. McCabe & Dr. Wakabongo) were laughing with me and really helped me feel at ease. I left the room feeling as if I'd just had a light hearted conversation with new acquaintances, not a medical school interview. In addition, all of the students I met were so friendly and enthusiastic about their school. This feeling really stuck with me and helped me choose UOMHS over COMP. Relax, read over your supplemental and try not to be so nervous that you forget to ask any questions you might have. The interview is as much for you to see the school as it is for them to see you. The odds are in your favor being invited to interview. Good luck and hopefully we'll be classmates this fall!

Stef

I wish to thank everyone who has responded to my inquiry. Any additional information would also be appreciated. I am already impressed by the school for the fine students (you guys) that have been accepted. I hope that it is not too late in the interview process to still be accepted. I hope that they are not interviewing for a wait list. I have been placed on these and it is agonizing because you feel like you are in limbo, not knowing what to do next. Thanks again.

VM,

Good luck on your interview day! I agree with what everyone else said about the UOMHS interview, they really do try to make it a pleasant experience. I hope you take the opportunity to stay with a student! I really enjoyed the opportunity, and the guy I stayed with introduced me other students.

I'd never been to the midwest before, and I thought the people were very friendly. It was an experience to be called "honey" in the checkout line at a grocery store...

Scott

vm
In case you haven't had your interview yet, don't worry. The school doesn't interview anybody it doesn't have open spots for. What everyone else has said is absolutely true. I kept waiting for the real interview to begin, but it never did! It was shooting the breeze with someone you just met. I think they want to get to know you as a person, so relax and be yourself.

For those of you who met Dr. Murphy, you probably already suspect this. He's a great guy. He's ex-military, so he comes across kind of hard sometimes, but I think he's going to do great things for UOMHS. It's already a great school (I'm a first year), but he's very student oriented. YOu'll like it here. Good luck!

Hello everyone from UOMHS. I just found out today that I have been accepted to UOMHS!!! I was sooo excited. It seems like a great place to attend. The dean even called me personally (as I'm sure he has done for many of you). I thought this was a great personal touch. They also got back to me very quickly. I just interviewed there last week! Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and insight to the interview and to the school. I hope to meet many of you when we start school in the fall. Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks.

I finally recieved an interview request . . .UOMHS on Apr. 23! Anyone else interviewing that day?

Karen -
I also got an interview, but will be on April 22. I tried to get it moved to Friday, but they were all filled up. I have a couple friends from college who go to UOMHS now, and they have said they really enjoy the school and the area. Good luck in your interview.