UOP vs OHSU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naruto's Molar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between these two schools and am having a tough time. I appreciate the help/insight!

School 1: UOP

Pros:
  • Done in three years
  • Would be closer to my family
  • There seems to be a strong sense of community and lots of faculty support
  • Strong clinically

Cons:
  • I don't like the area that much (safety & not close to areas for outdoor activities)
  • Very expensive tuition and cost of living
  • Wouldn't have a car so I wouldn't be able to go too far from campus/ BART stations
  • Some people say it's harder to specialize?

School 2: OHSU (OOS)

Pros:
  • Great area with lots of outdoor activities available close by, familiar with Oregon and Portland because of undergrad here
  • About ~$80k cheaper
  • My roommate is going there so finding a living situation that I enjoy would be a lot easier
  • Could have a car, so less confined to the city
  • My girlfriend and I are thinking of living in OR after school
  • Also strong clinically

Cons:
  • Further away from family
  • Four years instead of three
  • Pass/fail is eh for me
  • The faculty members were nice but didn't seem as outwardly supportive.

Summary: I loved the atmosphere at UOP and it seemed like they really cared about their students, plus I was excited to move closer to home & family. A couple of the dentists I've shadowed/talked to that went to uop had nothing but great things to say. I was fully planning to go there until I realized that OHSU would actually be cheaper even with oos tuition. Now I am leaning towards OHSU because it's cheaper, there's more freedom to do different hobbies of mine, and I could be with some of my friends. I also feel like the $80k might end up washing out when I take the extra year of work and loan repayment that I would get by going to UOP into consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between these two schools and am having a tough time. I appreciate the help/insight!

School 1: UOP

Pros:
  • Done in three years
  • Would be closer to my family
  • There seems to be a strong sense of community and lots of faculty support
  • Strong clinically

Cons:
  • I don't like the area that much (safety & not close to areas for outdoor activities)
  • Very expensive tuition and cost of living
  • Wouldn't have a car so I wouldn't be able to go too far from campus/ BART stations
  • Some people say it's harder to specialize?

School 2: OHSU (OOS)

Pros:
  • Great area with lots of outdoor activities available close by, familiar with Oregon and Portland because of undergrad here
  • About ~$80k cheaper
  • My roommate is going there so finding a living situation that I enjoy would be a lot easier
  • Could have a car, so less confined to the city
  • My girlfriend and I are thinking of living in OR after school
  • Also strong clinically

Cons:
  • Further away from family
  • Four years instead of three
  • Pass/fail is eh for me
  • The faculty members were nice but didn't seem as outwardly supportive.

Summary: I loved the atmosphere at UOP and it seemed like they really cared about their students, plus I was excited to move closer to home & family. A couple of the dentists I've shadowed/talked to that went to uop had nothing but great things to say. I was fully planning to go there until I realized that OHSU would actually be cheaper even with oos tuition. Now I am leaning towards OHSU because it's cheaper, there's more freedom to do different hobbies of mine, and I could be with some of my friends. I also feel like the $80k might end up washing out when I take the extra year of work and loan repayment that I would get by going to UOP into consideration.
cheapest

Reactions: 3 users