UOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirbuffnes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
UOP is a popular topic in this chat. So I thought I might share this with you guys. Recently after putting a grand for my deposit I've heard some rumor of this school. Though not sure if true or not I feel I'll just pass it along and see what you guys think.

1. I heard the graduates of UOP has the highest sue rate

2. I also heard that UOP is having financial difficulty

both of those are by word of mouth from other pre-dental and dental students. If you guys have any opinion i would love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...
I am not sure about the sue rate, but I believe they are having financial difficulties.
In fact, they may move their dental campus from san francisco to stockton, ca (which is where the main undergrad campus is). The move would simply be because they dont' have enough money to stay in san francisco...

hi, thanks for the reply
I attend the interview there, and is planning on attending the university how come I was not informed by them of the possibility of them closing down the SF branch?

my main reason of attending the university is to be in SF, if not I wouldn't think about the University. Just another question ? where did you get your source? how did you hear about it? and does all student attend there this next year know about this? thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, yeah I've never heard of either one of those statements regarding UOP before. I know that they're going to start a dental hygiene program (4 year program)in the Stockton campus, but have not heard that the school of dentistry was going to move there. As far as financial problems, I didn't suspect any. I know that they gave a lot of scholarships out ranging from $20K-$30K. UOP is a great school.

caligirl,
can you please elaborate more on the UOP scholarships... is it 20k-30k per year? what stats do you need to get the scholarships?
and yes, congrats on your accepts so far. :clap:
ps: i found this webpage by an UOP student...maybe you all could email him with the concerns listed in this topic. click below.
<a href="http://members.tripod.com/~softballteam/dental.html" target="_blank">Mike's Page</a>

Sirbuffness
Cute name...
Don't listen to everything I have to say about UOP having financial difficulties because I only hear it through the grapevine. But ....how I heard these things about moving from San Francisco to Stockton...well, I went to UOP for undergrad. I knew a few reputable people over at the dental school who told me this. However, no one is suppose to know as it is not set in stone. IN fact, if they do move to Stockton from San Fran, it won't be for a while so you will still be living in San Fran! Don't worry about it...I'd give it 5 years. UOP talks a lot and honestly they don't do much....

crimson,

Dean's scholarships are around $20-30K over the 3 years you are there. They give a little of it each quarter you are there. I am not sure what the criteria is for these scholarships. I think they look at your numbers as well as your community involvement as well as leadership roles. You don't apply for these scholarships. They give you a letter of award with your acceptance.

I also found Mike's page to be very helpful. I actually emailed him and he responded the next day. He's actually serving in the military now. Are you planning on going to UOP next year??

hey beagle, I go to UOP undergrad right now :) As far as I know, the confusion may be as caligirl had said: they are opening up a dental hygiene school here in Stockton (I think next year) that will be linked to the dental school in san francisco, but as far as i know, the dental school itself will remain in sf. I haven't heard of any financial difficulties, and I have many friends that go to the dent school, and keep in contact with some ppl who work there... but who knows...?

Just a thought on that "most sued" rumor. Up in my area California is known as a "sue happy" state. I would assume that most graduates of UOP end up practicing in California. Consequently the "most sued" rumor (if factual) could be a function of practicing in California rather than graduating from UOP.

Lin709
What year are you at UOP? How do you like it?
I just graduated last year and didn't enjoy my experience all that well. Who enjoys stockton right? Who are your science professors right now? The faculty Bio dept as well as Chem is small enough that you know everyone!!
Hope to hear from ya!
Beagle