Up coming hip surgery and starting osteopathic medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smoodle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looks like I might be having a hip arthroscopic surgery in the near future. I, however, have been accepted to start at TUCOM in the fall. I really do not want to defere my acceptance, but I am worried I might not be able to handle the starting work in omm lab and the anatomy labs. I was wondering if some experienced med school students could give me some advice on how intensive the work is in the first month of the first year? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about OMM - be sure to tell your instructor and partner about your arthroscopy just in case. Gross lab involves some leaning over, but there are other team members to help. You'll be fine.

Couple considerations: when's your surgery? What Is the dx? What procedure? Recovery? Weight bear status? Trust me, I've had five major hip surgeries ( only one hip scope, rest open and more) and two major should surgeries (both open) and wrist (scope). Of all my surgeries, besides the wrist, the hip was the easiest, but it all depends what's up

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with HipChick here. Figure out what your prognosis is, when the surgery is, etc and then you'll be in a better boat for decision making imo.

Couple considerations: when's your surgery? What Is the dx? What procedure? Recovery? Weight bear status? Trust me, I've had five major hip surgeries ( only one hip scope, rest open and more) and two major should surgeries (both open) and wrist (scope). Of all my surgeries, besides the wrist, the hip was the easiest, but it all depends what's up

My goodness... are you an athlete, or just very unlucky?! ;)

OP - seems like you'll be fine. Wishing you a quick and successful recovery. :)

Thanks guys! I've trying to get this hip figured out for 8 years (all of it did start when I was a really competitive athlete in high school) and I finally have a diagnosis of FAI, of course right before medical school starts... :p Im checking out a couple of surgeons, but Im hoping to get this done in June and have about 8 weeks to recover. Im hoping Ill be fine with the classes and Im assuming OMM lab isnt too intensive in the first couple weeks? Its mostly just learning how to feel bodies correct?

Thanks guys! I've trying to get this hip figured out for 8 years (all of it did start when I was a really competitive athlete in high school) and I finally have a diagnosis of FAI, of course right before medical school starts... :p Im checking out a couple of surgeons, but Im hoping to get this done in June and have about 8 weeks to recover. Im hoping Ill be fine with the classes and Im assuming OMM lab isnt too intensive in the first couple weeks? Its mostly just learning how to feel bodies correct?

Are you a guy or girl? Yes that matters. Where are you located? The problem is, not all surgeons will do the surgery via scope, and scope has been shown less affective on females. In that case you may have to have an SDD (surgical dislocation and debridement). If you have FAI, you probably have a corresponding labral tear, if you do have a labral tear, will the scope be a debridement or a repair? Any associated cartilage damage? Cyst? Muscle atrophy/issues? You'll be on crutches 6-8 weeks depending, then progress to full weight bearing, therapy, etc. all this depends on the extent of the damage and surgery. Also, have them check your angles of your acetabulum to see if you have femoral rotational issues or acetabular rotation issues(dysphasia).

As for all my surgeries? Yes a former athlete. I probably should have had many many more surgeries. I played 2-3 sports every season in high school and graduated over all with 15 varsity letters. Then I was injured...

Last edited:
You obv just have a somatic dysfunction brah. Get one of the OMM peeps to help get your energy flows back in line....no need for surgery! Surgery is for the (gasp) allopaths...

You have bone spurs. You'll be able to walk the next day.

I feel like a dick for not answering your question. You will be FINE. We had a girl have an ACL repair like 2 or 3 weeks into m1 and she was fine. Just pull up a stool in anatomy lab. The OMM people will accomodate you as well. It wont be an issue!

You have bone spurs. You'll be able to walk the next day.

Please tell me you are kidding... Because if not you have NO idea about FAI....

Like I said, a lot just depends on the extent of the FAI and if you need a labral repair or debridement, because, as I said you'll be non-weight bearing or toe touch for 4-6 weeks minimizing the increase risk of stress fracture or return of FAI. CAM or PINCER matter also. Feel free to PM me with questions.

From my understanding your first semester you won't be up and down as much as others. I'd contact your school and set up accomodations, As long as you are full weight bearing, you'll be fine.

I pray you can have a scope....

smoodle, congrats on your acceptance. To echo what's already been said, I wouldn't worry about being able to handle your classes with 8 weeks to recover (even though I'm aware the recovery can take a while in this procedure). In the hugely unlikely event that you can't get around enough to participate in your courses, the school is obligated to work with you, so no need to defer IMHO.

I'm in c/o 2013 at Tourocom (NY) and have something of a similar story to yours. I was a competitive marathoner (2:22) back in the early 2000s and am at end of a long road of Dx (with some surgery along the way). Looking like I'll either have hip scoped or possible resurfacing depending on Dx. Very best of luck to you, and let us know how things go; I'm counting on you as my guinea pig :)
Feel free to PM with any Qs if I can be helpful

PS- I think it's a smart move to take care of this best you can BEFORE school. Don't know about you, but I have a lot of pain sitting. I can tell you, you'll be doing a lot of sitting in first 2 years of school, studying for boards etc.