Upcoming Integrated Vascular Surgery Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CloverHoney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard through the grapevine of up-and-coming programs that will integrated vascular residencies soon (ones not listed below)?

I noticed that many of the vascular powerhouses do not currently have an integrated program and/or have not submitted to start one such as UCSF, Brigham, Duke, Penn, Columbia/Cornell, etc. What are the statuses of these programs and what are the reasons why?

Here is the link to the current list of programs though it is 1 year outdated: http://www.vascularweb.org/students...ascularSurgeryTrainingOptionsandPrograms.aspx

Here are the programs that have an application if process for an integrated program (I removed the ones that just started last cycle such as UCLA and WashU but may have missed a few): Albany Medical Center, Case Western University, Charleston Area Medical Center Greenville hospital, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, Mass General Hospital, Medical College of Wisconsin, Methodist Hospital Houston, OSUMC, University of Iowa, Loyola University

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was told a week or so before match day this year that Case Western Reserve was planning to take someone outside of the match for the year starting July, 2012. I did not hear anything further about it, don't know if the position was filled. I could have sworn I applied to Albany last year, but I may be mistaken.

Last edited:
To answer some of your questions:

Many academic/ vascular powerhouses do have integrated residencies, just not all of them.

This can be for a variety of reasons. The attendings may not be fully behind the residency model (although I've found this to be the minority.) The greatest number of places have the program "in the works". Meaning they are taking their sweet time jumping through the administrative hoops, or don't have they money to support the residency. Some programs are snarled up by general surgery in some capacity.

That being said the model is catching on very quickly, and new programs pop up every approval cycle. You can read the data for yourself in these presentations

http://www.vascularweb.org/APDVS/Pages/2012-APDVS-Spring-Presentations.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't the University of Washington have one?

mayo has one....just took their first resident this year

anyone know the stats of accepted students --> combined vascular programs?

In the Pitt slideshow:
"National: General Surgery Programs shying away from ranking candidates who are interested in Integrated Residencies"

How do they know if you are applying to integrated programs as well as gen surg programs? (unless you apply to both gen surg and integrated at the same program?)

In the Pitt slideshow:
"National: General Surgery Programs shying away from ranking candidates who are interested in Integrated Residencies"

How do they know if you are applying to integrated programs as well as gen surg programs? (unless you apply to both gen surg and integrated at the same program?)

Some of us made two entirely different applications, complete with different personal statements and LOR. In that case they wouldn't know. But not everyone did. If you have a lot of letters from vascular people. You will get asked if you are applying to the integrated programs.