Upcoming Senior Newly Interested in MD/Ph.D - How much research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmc48

Med School Flunky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an upcoming senior at a small LAC whose recently become interested in MD/Ph.D programs. I initially decided medicine was for me in the beginning of my sophomore year. I have become interested in academic medicine this year after speaking at length with my biochemistry professor, in which she mentioned MD/Ph.D programs. I was interested immediately. I have a strong GPA (3.92) and I will be taking the MCAT this summer, but my question is, will I enough research to be competitive for funded programs?

So far I have:

A summer research program at a well known research hospital in a prolific lab. I had a presentation on my research that summer as well.

Independent senior research of my own design (nanotoxicity, should be cool stuff) in which I will have two semesters of research. I will also be using this summer to conduct my independent senior research with a research grant that I applied for and recieved. Lastly, I can extend my research into my final semester, for a total of three semesters of research and funded summer. I will be presenting my senior research at a regional conference. The research will be turned in as a thesis (a graduation requirement) and bound.

So total research experience: 2 summers and 3 semesters

I want to apply at the end of my senior year (I want to get into a lab for the gap year), so my question is, will I be competitive for funded programs as long as GPA/MCAT/EC's are in place? I hate to waste a year and money applying if I won't be competitive.

Any advice at all would be great. Sorry for the novel of a read.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies. I'm more encouraged now.

I do have another question for you all, though. Will I be at a disadvantage if I have not published, or my mentors (not including the one from the summer program,who I won't ask for a rec letter) are also my professors? My professors aren't really big names in research, since I'm at a LAC not known as a powerhouse for research. Any effect on my application?

I do have another question for you all, though. Will I be at a disadvantage if I have not published

No. Of course it would help, but regardless you can aim for top places.

or my mentors (not including the one from the summer program,who I won't ask for a rec letter) are also my professors?

No.

My professors aren't really big names in research, since I'm at a LAC not known as a powerhouse for research. Any effect on my application?

No.

Agree totally with Neuronix...speaking as someone who did pretty well on the interview trail just a year ago, I don't think any of if will be an issue and you're in good shape.