Update for Submitted Manuscript/Publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to send an update letter for my Pre-II Hold/post-II/Research Heavy schools sometime next month.

After doing research for a few years, I finally will have my first publication (although a lowish author number)! I also have a new EC that I added so I want to update that as well.

My concern though is that the manuscript has been submitted to the magazine and is currently in the review process. As we all know, it will take months to actually be accepted/published, and by that time, the application season will be over. Will it be viewed poorly for sending this type of update letter?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I want to send an update letter for my Pre-II Hold/post-II/Research Heavy schools sometime next month.

After doing research for a few years, I finally will have my first publication (although a lowish author number)! I also have a new EC that I added so I want to update that as well.

My concern though is that the manuscript has been submitted to the magazine and is currently in the review process. As we all know, it will take months to actually be accepted/published, and by that time, the application season will be over. Will it be viewed poorly for sending this type of update letter?
Congrats on the pending publication!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I would probably hold off on sending this in as an update, unless you have anything else you can update schools with. It's hard to say for sure, but this sort of update might be seen as impatience/annoying.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

General consensus is to hold off on publication updates until they're at least accepted by a journal. In theory, anybody could submit a manuscript to a scientific journal and have it be "under review," so having a pending pub be under review doesn't mean much to adcoms.

November just began, and unless there's major revisions to be made (and without any knowledge of the work you're doing/what journal you submitted to), you hopefully should hear back from the editor and/or reviewers by Spring. ~6 months from now puts us around April, which is when waitlists begin seeing movement. If anything, this would make a great update letter if you're trying to get off a WL. Also gives you time to get some more hours for your other activities to combine into a much stronger update letter.

Congrats on the pub! :)

Reactions: 5 users
General consensus is to hold off on publication updates until they're at least accepted by a journal. In theory, anybody could submit a manuscript to a scientific journal and have it be "under review," so having a pending pub be under review doesn't mean much to adcoms.

November just began, and unless there's major revisions to be made (and without any knowledge of the work you're doing/what journal you submitted to), you hopefully should hear back from the editor and/or reviewers by Spring. ~6 months from now puts us around April, which is when waitlists begin seeing movement. If anything, this would make a great update letter if you're trying to get off a WL. Also gives you time to get some more hours for your other activities to combine into a much stronger update letter.

Congrats on the pub! :)
Thanks for your input!! I am just concerned about doing this because my app is heavy research focused, so having just poster presentations doesn't seem to really show how much I've put into it. I applied to some specific research programs in MD schools so I was thinking this could give me a little increased chance of an Interview invitation rather than getting off a waitlist?

EDIT: I guess my main desire is that since this is my first publication, it sort of steps me up as a researcher. If this was the 2nd or 3rd time I was being published, I probably would have no second thoughts on waiting to send this as an update until it's published

Last edited:
Also had a similar question, except it would be my resubmission to the journal after editor feedback. I'm worried that by the time (if) the paper gets accepted, all the interviews would be handed out already for the schools I'm looking at.

Also had a similar question, except it would be my resubmission to the journal after editor feedback. I'm worried that by the time (if) the paper gets accepted, all the interviews would be handed out already for the schools I'm looking at.
The unfortunate truth (and I'm in the same situation, because there are pubs in review that I'm dying to get out) is there are very few updates an applicant can send that will move the needle to an II, especially if your pub hasn't been accepted yet. Updates are generally more useful when you're trying to get off a WL.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your input!! I am just concerned about doing this because my app is heavy research focused, so having just poster presentations doesn't seem to really show how much I've put into it. I applied to some specific research programs in MD schools so I was thinking this could give me a little increased chance of an Interview invitation rather than getting off a waitlist?

EDIT: I guess my main desire is that since this is my first publication, it sort of steps me up as a researcher. If this was the 2nd or 3rd time I was being published, I probably would have no second thoughts on waiting to send this as an update until it's published
If it's your first pub, then it's absolutely a huge update! However, my opinion still stands: Wait until it's actually accepted (not necessarily published). I honestly think there's very few updates that will prove the difference between an II and no II. All we have on here and on Premeddit are anecdotal stories of applicants receiving IIs after sending updates, and there's a good chance those are just coincidences (i.e. the school just happened to review their app around the time of their update, and their original app was already good enough for an II).

Either way, wait for the pub to be accepted is my advice. I just don't think adcoms are going to put much weight into a pub that is still under review, as they have no way of verifying.

Reactions: 2 users
I could submit some random musings and memes to NEJM, and it would still be considered "in review". Having something in review means almost nothing, especially since most articles are ultimately turned down and then resubmitted to lower ranked journals.

Reactions: 7 users
What if I'm in the same situation but I am post-II right now?

To follow up on Moko's comment, I could submit my shopping list on a brown paper bag written in crayon to Nature, and it will be still be considered "MS submitted" or "under review".

Hence, these types of things are 100% worthless.

Wait until the MS is accepted.

Reactions: 3 users