Update: GRE: score is ok, BUT I'm now faced with a problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutiepie83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

And to think I was done with the GRE, satisfied with the score being that I had 3 weeks to prepare for it, I realized I had done something irreparable (bless the Computer Adaptive Test that dont offer you the option to go back to the previous screen) that may have ruined my chances of admission. While on my way there, I was having a mild anxiety attack, where my head was pounding and my heart felt like it wanted to come out of my body. I never had something like this happen to me before!

So..while starting the exam..completing the background information and following the instructions, I couldnt get my nerves to calm down, I didnt know why my heart was literally ripping through my chest. I read everything..but I could barely focus or understand, it felt like I was reading a new language...so it came to the question where I THINK (as much as I tried reading it at the time, I was so nervous and couldn't really understand what they were asking me) that they wanted me to select the institution where I completed my undergraduate degree, and well, because I couldnt really focus and my nerves were taking the best of me, I thought they asked me what schools I was planning to apply for my graduate program. And so I picked a university (not my undergrad's), and clicked select, then the next screen came up: Name..and I knew right there that they asked me about my undergraduate institution and NOT my prospective grad school..

To make a long story short, I put the name of one of the schools I was intending to apply to as the school I received my undergraduate degree. :mad:

I know I messed up, but I ended up with a score higher than I had anticipated, V510(higher than my practice scores) Q680 (lower than my practice scores) and I think I did pretty well on my AWA.

I tried calling ETS and well, one receptionist said that there was nothing they could do, and since I once was a receptionist myself, I knew that information from one receptionist to the other varies. So I decided to call again and be left on hold for ANOTHER 30 minutes and spoke to a different receptionist, she was being very helpful and asked that since the scores havent been received at their main centre that I should call back on Thurday and see if they can do anything about it once my information is there.

If they cant change my information, and if my GRE score sheet does infact state I attended a different undergraduate institution than my application and transcripts do, how is this going to hurt my chances of admission? I was contemplating doing another test in January just to fix this problem but risking a lower score, but even so I doubt the score could make it to the universities on time.

I feel so stupid :( . I spoke to one of the Universities I forwarded my marks to and the lady with whom I spoke to said that I should attach a little message along with my application to indicate my error. But I'd rather just fix the problem, or hope that they will not even mention it on the GRE records.
Does anybody have an input or advice on how I could about to fixing this problem I got myself into? :(

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No worries. I did the exact same thing, but the events leading up to the test were different. I was probably in the same state of mind as you were. I didn't bother to fix the mistake and it didn't affect my application. They should be able to figure out your undergrad institution from your transcripts, and a note probably wouldn't hurt either. Don't sweat it too much. You definately do not need to rewrite. Congrats on your scores :)

I realized I had done something irreparable (bless the Computer Adaptive Test that dont offer you the option to go back to the previous screen) that may have ruined my chances of admission. While on my way there, I was having a mild anxiety attack, where my head was pounding and my heart felt like it wanted to come out of my body. I never had something like this happen to me before!
First off..well done! you bit the bullet..it was not THAT bad, see! and your score is good! :thumbup:

the panic attack..i had a minor one as well!in fact, before any exam i get the "Lub-dub-dubb" going at 90mph..i have now begun to look upon it as a friend, a comfortable sign that this is indeed exam-time, as another lucky charm..like the lucky pen, lucky socks, lucky rabbit's foot, lucky routine... :oops:

i too put some vague college's name as my undergrad univ. now, i am not a US citizen, so i wasn't sure how it would affect me. a bit of sweat, some sleep lost.then i decided to forget about it.

and it didn't matter one measly bit. the fact is the undergrad thing you entered was a school to which you could also send the score report. some places like to know how their students did(either for tom-tomming, or for sweeping under the carpet). it is NOT stated as the place you did your undergrad studies, not on the score-sheet they send you, not to the colleges. it just appears as another of the places you chose to send your free GRE score report to. now, if the colleges pay close attention to these stooopid details, isn't it going to be worse if the places you apply see that you chose to send your free scores(the ones which you wil def be sending in on time) to a place other than theirs?!

anyhow, well done! and good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys, I honestly thought that there was absolutely no point for me to apply.

Uhoh!, the part that I messed up in was just before the entire test, right after the cat tutorial and before the AWA section. I did get to the section in the end where I was able to choose the universities I wanted to send my scores to (up to 4). So do you mean that that section (before the AWA) was intended to send my scores to my undergraduate school? But now instead another school will be receiving them? :laugh: I wish I could've just read it.. well whats done is done.

I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only one that's been through this. Thanks Crazy for sharing that with me, I feel much better knowing that now.

cutiepie83 said:
Uhoh!,.. do you mean that that section (before the AWA) was intended to send my scores to my undergraduate school? But now instead another school will be receiving them?
Pretty Much. Common SNAFU..much like my double post above!
*Booming voice in the sky* "All will be clearer when you get your score report..."
i bet colleges have this totally vague-O department to handle such mis-directed scores, seems like such a common mistake.. :laugh:
and this means jack for your application. i would be worrying more on the lines of when is the "deadline at XYZ" and getting the other things they require ready..got the PS done yet? that should help take yer mind off this.. :smuggrin:
As always, :luck: