Update Letter about Research Results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So put on my AMCAS that I have two pending publications ("in preparation for submission"). I am interested in research and aiming for top 30 schools. I have applied to a lot of schools in this range, but gotten an II from only one of them (Columbia) but 4 interviews from mid-tiers and safeties. I know it's early (my apps were complete around Aug 5 because of late committee letter), but I want appeal to these schools.

I am thinking of writing an update letter summarizing the methods and results of these studies. A rough draft has been written for both, but I don't think it would be a good idea to send them because of the possibility of being plagiarized, right? But I feel like an update letter with the bottom-line results would prove a little more credence to my two pending publications to show that I'm not just blowing steam (since anyone could say publications are pending, I guess). I'm also thinking of adding that the articles would likely be published in J. Neurosurg or other high-impact journals.

Do you think this sort of update letter would be a good idea? Even though it's a bit early and the letter would be pre-interview? THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys

So put on my AMCAS that I have two pending publications ("in preparation for submission"). I am interested in research and aiming for top 30 schools. I have applied to a lot of schools in this range, but gotten an II from only one of them (Columbia) but 4 interviews from mid-tiers and safeties. I know it's early (my apps were complete around Aug 5 because of late committee letter), but I want appeal to these schools.

I am thinking of writing an update letter summarizing the methods and results of these studies. A rough draft has been written for both, but I don't think it would be a good idea to send them because of the possibility of being plagiarized, right? But I feel like an update letter with the bottom-line results would prove a little more credence to my two pending publications to show that I'm not just blowing steam (since anyone could say publications are pending, I guess). I'm also thinking of adding that the articles would like be published in J. Neurosurg or other high-impact journals.

Do you think this sort of update letter would be a good idea? Even though it's a bit early and the letter would be pre-interview? THANKS

If you already have the interview, it doesn't matter if you send in your update now. You can potentially talk about your research in the interview. Schools generally won't care about the minutia of your research beyond that you are doing it and if you are published. Wait until you have your article submitted/accepted and then send a letter. These letters will be more important post interview anyway, as you can improve your application as they review it for acceptance.

If you already have the interview, it doesn't matter if you send in your update now. You can potentially talk about your research in the interview. Schools generally won't care about the minutia of your research beyond that you are doing it and if you are published. Wait until you have your article submitted/accepted and then send a letter. These letters will be more important post interview anyway, as you can improve your application as they review it for acceptance.

Thanks! I definitely won't send a letter to schools that I'll already be interviewing at. But don't you think that an update letter pre-interview would help me get an interview at top schools and avoid rejections? (I've been rejected by UChicago and UCSF). Then again, I agree with you about schools not caring about the research results, so I'm not sure if a letter would actually help - would it?

Thanks! I definitely won't send a letter to schools that I'll already be interviewing at. But don't you think that an update letter pre-interview would help me get an interview at top schools and avoid rejections? (I've been rejected by UChicago and UCSF). Then again, I agree with you about schools not caring about the research results, so I'm not sure if a letter would actually help - would it?

Usually you do not want to talk about potential publications until they have actually been accepted by the journal.

What I do recommend doing is writing letters of interest to schools that you particularly like. Be very specific in your letters and talk at length about what makes a certain school a particularly good fit for you as well as how you can make a good fit for them. It is here that you can potentially talk about your research and what you have learned in that context.