Update Letter Advice?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erblee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone could help me out with a few questions :) Sorry if these have already been answered; I couldn't find anything when I searched.

When I first filled out the AMCAS in June, I had juuuust started as a ED scribe, so I didn't put it as one of my most significant activities,, but I definitely see it as one now. Would it be beneficial at all to send this in an update letter/pre-interview letter of interest? It is probably the most significant clinical experience I have had.

I also recently started a new clinical research assistant position which I also wasn't sure is worthy of an update letter since it's not a publication or anything? I'm also unsure if including all of this information would make the update too long?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean dates I was complete? I completed all my secondaries at the end of August/first week of September.
One of my update letters would also be an in-the-area update.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been scribing since June, and I just started my research job at the beginning of this month (November).

I have been scribing since June, and I just started my research job at the beginning of this month (November).
I am very sorry but I strongly advice against this.
It would probably backfire on you.
)-:

Do you mind me asking your reasoning behind that?

Do you mind me asking your reasoning behind that?
It makes me wonder if you think of me as a fool because 10 days of research experience mean nothing, and five months of being a scribe are not credible enough.

I was in the exact same boat as you and did not bother to update schools. I included it in my secondaries because I had just started, but I didn't have much to say (besides BS I made up). I brought it up in interviews and it was well received.

If you're not getting as many II's as you'd like to have seen by now (I'd say anything more than 5 is OK), I'd definitely send the letter. It can't hurt you. Just don't tell them you did anything you weren't supposed to (like reducing a joint).

It makes me wonder if you think of me as a fool because 10 days of research experience mean nothing, and five months of being a scribe are not credible enough.

Are you serious?

Do you think in his sixth month he will see medicine differently than in the fifth month? That he will magically experience a life-changing event in the sixth or later month? That he has to personally go through the decades of weariness that older doctors go through as a profession?

People have volunteered for mere months in a hospital as their only clinical experience and have gotten into medical school, myself for example . I'd say five months is plenty as experience.

Are you serious?

Do you think in his sixth month he will see medicine differently than in the fifth month? That he will magically experience a life-changing event in the sixth or later month? That he has to personally go through the decades of weariness that older doctors go through as a profession?

People have volunteered for mere months in a hospital as their only clinical experience and have gotten into medical school, myself for example . I'd say five months is plenty as experience.

+1

I'm on my sixth month as a scribe and it has been the best experience I've had yet (and I've been an EMT and phlebotomist).

I guess I was more just wondering if admins would see the scribe experience on my app and assume I'm gaining something valuable from it even though I wasn't in the position long enough to talk about it then, or if elaborating more thru an update would help my chances. I'm leaning toward the former?

And I'm still a little confused about why updating adcoms about a new position would backfire against me. Even though I just started and wouldn't have a great deal to say, would it not show adcoms that I am still motivated to gain additional experience during the app cycle?

Thanks for all the feedback! :)

I have been a medical scribe for six months now, and I think it is the most valuable clinical experience I have had thus far. When you volunteer in a hospital, you only get a glimpse of what medicine really entails. When you work alongside a physician for 8 hours per day, you get the full picture. I'm constantly learning the clinical application of my (limited) medical knowledge, the importance of bedside manner, and the burdens of administration. After working as a medical scribe, I can honestly say that there is no other career I would rather pursue.

In terms of updating schools, I sent an update letter to schools where I interviewed (but did not receive a decision yet). This update letter included my recent work experience (which was only briefly mentioned in my secondary), a new LOR from the physician I work with, and my continued interest in the school.

Just make sure the schools are open to post-interview updates. I specifically looked up this information prior to sending them e-mails.

P.S. I used interfolio to submit my LOR to AMCAS first, then I noted in the e-mail that I have a new LOR available via the AMCAS letter service.

I guess I was more just wondering if admins would see the scribe experience on my app and assume I'm gaining something valuable from it even though I wasn't in the position long enough to talk about it then, or if elaborating more thru an update would help my chances. I'm leaning toward the former?

And I'm still a little confused about why updating adcoms about a new position would backfire against me. Even though I just started and wouldn't have a great deal to say, would it not show adcoms that I am still motivated to gain additional experience during the app cycle?

Thanks for all the feedback! :)

I don't think updating about a new research position would backfire at all. As long as the school is amenable to updates (some do explicitly say they do not want them) I would go ahead and send the update.