Update Letter Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed3678

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just wanted to get some feedback about an update letter situation...

I started a new clinical position in Nov and am going to include that employment in the letter. But, I am also an author on a a manuscript just accepted for publication. I was waiting for this to happen to send a single update letter. We are waiting for proofs before the whole paper goes live, but considering its so close to/already is nearing the end of the cycle I want to share this news with schools I am waiting to hear from/have interviewed with. Is there any advice against that? The title and abstract are already posted online and it says "provisionally accepted." I can obviously provide that link in the letter and my PI to contact if they want to confirm. My PI advised me to share it now, considering acceptance is the "key" step. But was wondering if there were opposing thoughts on this, considering it is an awkward in-between-period of time?

Thanks in advance, all. Wishing you all well as the cycle continues.

@LizzyM @gonnif @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Send the update now to schools where you have interviewed at, but make sure that they actually accept updates.
Quick follow up - in your opinion- do I need to include a copy of the acceptance email or will the link to the abstract where it says the paper is accepted be sufficient? I also provided my PI contact info..