Update Letter Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishqbina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice/suggestions about update letters. I have interviewed at a bunch of places and I am on the waitlist at few of them. I would like to know what sort of things can be mentioned in the update letter. I can't really talk about my grades because the semester is not over.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot and good luck.

-ishqbina

Members don't see this ad.

ishqbina said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice/suggestions about update letters. I have interviewed at a bunch of places and I am on the waitlist at few of them. I would like to know what sort of things can be mentioned in the update letter. I can't really talk about my grades because the semester is not over.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot and good luck.

-ishqbina

The waitlist is a waste of time until after the final round of decisions are made. It will help you get off the waitlist if the class does not fill after the regular letters of acceptance go out but it won't get you off the waitlist this early in the game. So, keep those postage stamps in a cool, dry place and wait until the end of the semester, or later.

Grades are a good thing to put in an up-date letter. Also any publications (a reprint or even a letter stating that an article has been accepted for publication), abstracts accepted for presentations at professional meetings, scholarships and awards, elected offices & expanded community service over what was on your AMCAS (e.g. elected President of your college's chapter of a national organization in the Fall and travel over winter break to ___ to rebuild housing damaged by natural disaster).