update letter for a 'provisionally accepted' manuscript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremeditatedPremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope your September is going well and that you've been able to enjoy the fall weather! I had a question about a paper update letter. I recently had a publication 'provisionally accepted' at a journal (1st author). The things that my team and I need to do before it's fully published are primarily formatting things like making sure images are the right size, getting copyright forms in, creating a title page, etc. I think we may have to write a brief abstract according to their guidelines too.

Is it acceptable to write that this is "accepted for publication" in an update letter? I don't think the paper has a DOI yet, so I can't fully cite it.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I hope your September is going well and that you've been able to enjoy the fall weather! I had a question about a paper update letter. I recently had a publication 'provisionally accepted' at a journal (1st author). The things that my team and I need to do before it's fully published are primarily formatting things like making sure images are the right size, getting copyright forms in, creating a title page, etc. I think we may have to write a brief abstract according to their guidelines too.

Is it acceptable to write that this is "accepted for publication" in an update letter? I don't think the paper has a DOI yet, so I can't fully cite it.

Thank you!
If you have to say anything at all now, why wouldn't you say what it is -- "provisionally accepted for publication"?

No! It’s not accepted for publication just yet. No reason to lie now(or ever). Wait until it has been accepted and you can provide a PMID. You will have a nice update in a few months. Don’t ruin it by saying it’s accepted when it’s not!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thanks for the feedback KnightDoc and candbgirl. I want to be clear that I'm not trying to lie - my understanding was that the paper had been peer reviewed, accepted, and now is awaiting mainly formatting changes pre-publication. I obviously want to be truthful in all my update letters. The reason that I am considering mentioning it in a letter is that the journal indicates it can take ~9 months to be 'published' after a paper is 'accepted'.

Edit: sorry if I'm misunderstanding the process, I haven't published as first author before so this is all very new to me!

You can mention it, but adcoms aren't gonna give it any weight til it's published.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
You can mention it, but adcoms aren't gonna give it any weight til it's published.

Other SDN threads seem to indicate journal acceptance is enough for an update letter, not publication. See: Update Letter: Newly accepted publication citation? | Student Doctor Network (studentdoctor.net)

I do appreciate the feedback though. I promise I'm not trying to be difficult -I'm just trying to make sure I don't miss out on a chance to send an update about a first author paper (my application could use the help, lol).

Hi all,

Thank you!
[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the people that say that you should not submit an update. IMO, yes, you should absolutely submit an update.
An accepted publication is worth sending an update for, especially as there can be a significant lag time between acceptance and publication, as you said. What I have done In the past is submit a copy the email that the paper has been excepted along with the abstract and jas proof of acceptance.

(PS I mistakenly clicked “like” on another posters response telling you not to update...)

Reactions: 3 users
Other SDN threads seem to indicate journal acceptance is enough for an update letter, not publication. See: Update Letter: Newly accepted publication citation? | Student Doctor Network (studentdoctor.net)

I do appreciate the feedback though. I promise I'm not trying to be difficult -I'm just trying to make sure I don't miss out on a chance to send an update about a first author paper (my application could use the help, lol).

Looking through that post you linked seems to show that I was wrong lol! I'd send an update then.

Hi, thanks for the feedback KnightDoc and candbgirl. I want to be clear that I'm not trying to lie - my understanding was that the paper had been peer reviewed, accepted, and now is awaiting mainly formatting changes pre-publication. I obviously want to be truthful in all my update letters. The reason that I am considering mentioning it in a letter is that the journal indicates it can take ~9 months to be 'published' after a paper is 'accepted'.

Edit: sorry if I'm misunderstanding the process, I haven't published as first author before so this is all very new to me!
No, you're fine. Just don't make it sound like more than what it is, a PROVISIONAL acceptance. It's fine to send that update if it's going to take too long otherwise.

Just say it's "in press". Basically means accepted but not published. Because ya there might be a lot of lag time between acceptance and the next issue it gets published in.

Edit: nvm don't do what I said. I didn't read that it was only a provisional acceptance... What I said applies if it's been fully accepted but not indexed yet. Provisional doesn't mean much.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank you!
Still not accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should either wait for 'full' acceptance or make sure to emphasize the provisional nature of it in any letters I send. Much appreciated!

Agree with @Goro because the manuscript is "provisionally accepted."

For instance (e.g., NEJM decision letters):

1. If the author does not complete the required revisions to the provisonally accepted manuscript (i.e., does not respond to all of the editors' points in a satisfactory manner), or if the author fails to meet a specific response timeline, the manuscript is not published.

2. This means provisional acceptance of the manuscript is contingent upon the author's satisfactory responses to all of the editors' points; and those points will be outlined in a "decision letter."

3. It is not uncommon to receive a decision letter that contains multiple editors' points; and many of those points might require more (challenging and time-consuming) research, analysis and/or multiple revisions by the author. It happens - especially in the high impact factor journals (e.g., NEJM).

For those reasons, the manuscript is still a "provisionally accepted" manuscript.

However ... in your case, it sounds as if the requested revisions to your manuscript are fairly simple and straightforward (image sizes, copyright forms, title page). So, it is likely your manuscript will be formally accepted for publication in the future. If that is the case - good work and well done! :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
@PremeditatedPremed sorry to respond so many months later, but I was lurking SDN about a similar situation and wondering if you ended up sending an update about this?

Hi premed3678,

sorry to take so long to see this - I've been really busy and out of town. I ended up waiting for a manuscript full acceptance and sent an update once that happened. If I hadn't had the luxury of time I would have still sent an update but just mentioned its provisional status. So, I think its worth an update as long as you are 100% up front. Most people will understand that, while its not fully accepted yet, it's still something most premeds won't have done and it could spark a conversation in interviews. Just my two cents. GL on the application cycle!