Update letter for award nomination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2015istheYear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 II's, 4 rejections, and 16 pending med school applications.

I was just nominated by my research PI and professor for the Lincoln Laureate award, the highest award the state of Illinois gives out. It is given to one student from each college in the state annually, I would be inducted into the Order of Lincoln, put in the Chicago newspaper, get $1K, and attend a ceremony dinner with the governor, etc. I feel that I should update the 16 pending applications about this development, but I am unsure how to do so. Should I write an update letter just for this nomination, or should it have other information as well? Is it better to just wait until I find out if I actually get the award, even though that is not until November?

Members don't see this ad.

If you update them now, would you update them again if you don't get the award?

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, which is why I was asking... I just think that this nomination may increase my chances of II at those schools, so I would love for them to know about it. Oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, Congratulations!

When will you find out about the award? And what proportion of nominees win?
If you find out quickly, and you did not win, 'poof' goes the accomplishment.
If you find out quickly, and you did win, then you have some great material for an update.

Ideal update fodder is something great that arrives at an opportune time and tips the scales in your favor.

The timing is, I think, kind of early. But if it's unlikely you'll win, and you'll find out soon -- I'd vote for you to use your honor while you have it. If it's likely you'll win, then hold off until you know.

If decisions aren't made right away, then I'd vote for an update fairly soon, and another after you win.

But first check to make sure the school likes updates. Some don't.

I agree, which is why I was asking... I just think that this nomination may increase my chances of II at those schools, so I would love for them to know about it. Oh well
If you don't mind my asking, what kinds of things did you do to get nominated? I'm curious because I'm also an IL resident

Do you really think that Admissions Dean is going to run out of his office and scream "@gyngyn, we have to invite this kid! He was just nominated for an award! !!"

????????????

I have 3 II's, 4 rejections, and 16 pending med school applications.

I was just nominated by my research PI and professor for the Lincoln Laureate award, the highest award the state of Illinois gives out. It is given to one student from each college in the state annually, I would be inducted into the Order of Lincoln, put in the Chicago newspaper, get $1K, and attend a ceremony dinner with the governor, etc. I feel that I should update the 16 pending applications about this development, but I am unsure how to do so. Should I write an update letter just for this nomination, or should it have other information as well? Is it better to just wait until I find out if I actually get the award, even though that is not until November?

How good is the chance of you actually getting the award? is it a long shot or a sure in?

First off, Congratulations!

When will you find out about the award? And what proportion of nominees win?
If you find out quickly, and you did not win, 'poof' goes the accomplishment.
If you find out quickly, and you did win, then you have some great material for an update.

Ideal update fodder is something great that arrives at an opportune time and tips the scales in your favor.

The timing is, I think, kind of early. But if it's unlikely you'll win, and you'll find out soon -- I'd vote for you to use your honor while you have it. If it's likely you'll win, then hold off until you know.

If decisions aren't made right away, then I'd vote for an update fairly soon, and another after you win.

But first check to make sure the school likes updates. Some don't.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I will find out in one month if I get it or not.
My professor and I don't know how many people are nominated but he thinks it's less than 10 individuals. Professors do not recommend people they don't feel are likely to get it because they have to write an essay and letter of recc about the nominee (lot of work for busy professors). I am pretty likely to get it, I think..

Maybe I should just wait a month when I see what happens... I think at this point, the 16 schools I am waiting to hear from are either going to reject me closer to the end of the cycle, or offer me a later II.

Do you really think that Admissions Dean is going to run out of his office and scream "@gyngyn, we have to invite this kid! He was just nominated for an award! !!"

????????????
Well, honestly... This is the highest honor that is awarded by the State of Illinois and it is a pretty big deal to get it, so yes, I do think it would help me!
I was not planning on writing the Dean himself, just sending an update letter through the Portal, at the schoolsthat welcome updates.

Umm, you haven't received the award yet.

Are you the only student from your school who was nominated? How any students get nominated? From your school? State wide????

Is this process like the National Academy of Sciences, where only Academy members can nominate someone?

Or is it like the Nobel Prizes, where a whole bunch of people can nominate a candidate? For example, my friend who is a Law Professor can nominate YOU for a Peace Prize.

Well, honestly... This is the highest honor that is awarded by the State of Illinois and it is a pretty big deal to get it, so yes, I do think it would help me!
I was not planning on writing the Dean himself, just sending an update letter through the Portal, at the schoolsthat welcome updates.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I will find out in one month if I get it or not.
My professor and I don't know how many people are nominated but he thinks it's less than 10 individuals. Professors do not recommend people they don't feel are likely to get it because they have to write an essay and letter of recc about the nominee (lot of work for busy professors). I am pretty likely to get it, I think..

Maybe I should just wait a month when I see what happens... I think at this point, the 16 schools I am waiting to hear from are either going to reject me closer to the end of the cycle, or offer me a later II.

Sounds like a good plan!

The Lincoln Laureate award is given to citizens who have demonstrated outstanding commitment to service and have amazing achievements within the state of Illinois. One student from each four-year degree granting institution in the state gets this award each year. A joint panel from my university and the Lincoln Academy will select from the nominees. A student must be nominated by a professor.

http://thelincolnacademyofillinois.org/organization/us/

Umm, you haven't received the award yet.

Are you the only student from your school who was nominated? How any students get nominated? From your school? State wide????

Is this process like the National Academy of Sciences, where only Academy members can nominate someone?

Or is it like the Nobel Prizes, where a whole bunch of people can nominate a candidate? For example, my friend who is a Law Professor can nominate YOU for a Peace Prize.

If you win it, you may want to send out a letter. If you lose, don't send out a letter stating that you were a finalist, unless you're applying to schools in Indiana. I hear they like that sort of thing there.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I will just wait til I get the award. :heckyeah:

????????????

I laughed.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I will just wait til I get the award. :heckyeah:

You know, if it this award really is this exclusive, this thread could be used to identify who you are. I would probably get rid of your posts on this thread after everyone is done answering your questions and this thread dies.

You're right, and I appreciate the friendly reminder. As a rule, I never say anything I wouldn't want someone to know about me.