Update Letter Formatting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartino404

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my update letter, should I include an intro paragraph talking about how I appreciate the merits of the school and its commitment to research and community healthcare, or should I get to the point about my updated activities immediately? I figure schools like to know I'm familiar with their merits and mission immediately, but it does add a whole paragraph to the length of my letter.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For my update letter, should I include an intro paragraph talking about how I appreciate the merits of the school and its commitment to research and community healthcare, or should I get to the point about my updated activities immediately? I figure schools like to know I'm familiar with their merits and mission immediately, but it does add a whole paragraph to the length of my letter.

Thanks!
Is this pre or post-interview?

Regardless, I would skip the superfluous talk and get straight to the activities. They already know you're interested in the program and anything too extra may distract from the activities you're mentioning. Nothing wrong with restating your interest in the program as an intro but no need to talk about the school's merits, research, community healthcare, etc.

Also, I would double-check to make sure the school accepts updates in the first place. Some do, many don't.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!
You should write the update under the assumption that the reader will spend no longer than 3 seconds looking at it.

I'm dead serious.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
You should write the update under the assumption that the reader will spend no longer than 3 seconds looking at it.

I'm dead serious.
This. If you've done something cool, get right to the point. Otherwise, it's basically a 'I'm still here' letter.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users