Update Letter/Letter of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quaker0206

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a lot of the schools i really want to go to, I applied to back in the beginning of August.. I have not heard anything from these schools. no bad news, no good news. Is it worth it to write a letter of interest/update letter.
Since submitting my AMCAS, I have been asked to be co-author on a paper that is being submitted to peer-reviewed journals (EHP, JAMA, and a couple others are in the running) as opposed to MMWR (which was written in my AMCAS primary). Does this warrant an update letter? is it too soon to send them?
HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

a lot of the schools i really want to go to, I applied to back in the beginning of August.. I have not heard anything from these schools. no bad news, no good news. Is it worth it to write a letter of interest/update letter.
Since submitting my AMCAS, I have been asked to be co-author on a paper that is being submitted to peer-reviewed journals (EHP, JAMA, and a couple others are in the running) as opposed to MMWR (which was written in my AMCAS primary). Does this warrant an update letter? is it too soon to send them?
HELP!

I would wait until that paper gets accepted. It doesn't really mean much that it was only submitted. When/if it does get accepted, I think that warrants an update letter regardless of what stage of the app process you're in.

Letters are a waste of time IMO. They get thrown into a file without ever being read.

I would actually call the schools to see how things are coming. I've even heard of schools waiting for people to call and then offer them an interview....maybe you'll at least get an update......who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't think it could hurt. i think it just depends on the school. it might just get thrown in there, it might not. texasperson isn't on EVERY admissions committee (no offense !!)

Maybe a little early, it's only October. I'd wait a few more weeks (like early to mid-November) before writing or calling. Some schools just take forever!