Update letters for publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burntfries

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a publication for my research project coming out in July, and am wondering how one typically goes about updating schools about this (or if it's even worth updating them about at all). I interviewed with one school about a month ago, and have two other schools that i'm really hoping to get interviews with that i've yet to hear from. My PI says that I should send an update to the one I just interviewed with, but i'm wondering if it's worth sending updates to the other schools pre-interview.

Also, what is the best way to write and send one? E-mail? Should I include an abstract? etc...

Thanks! =)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd send it to all of them... just tell them that it's coming out in X journal and it's about Y and it's important to your future in medeicine for Z reason. That, and you should interview me if you haven't.

I have a publication for my research project coming out in July, and am wondering how one typically goes about updating schools about this (or if it's even worth updating them about at all). I interviewed with one school about a month ago, and have two other schools that i'm really hoping to get interviews with that i've yet to hear from. My PI says that I should send an update to the one I just interviewed with, but i'm wondering if it's worth sending updates to the other schools pre-interview.

Also, what is the best way to write and send one? E-mail? Should I include an abstract? etc...

Thanks! =)

What about general format of update letters? To include other activities and grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
Burntfries,

I've already done this with a few projects I have in the works.

I would just summarize the project, talk about it's impact, and which journal you're submitting it to.

Edit: General format of update letters:

Dear Committee on Admissions,

**I am very intersted in your school, etc**

**Here is my amazing research**

**Commitment to medicine, etc**

Sincerely and respectfully,

By the way, I noticed that your (burntfries') location is Irvine, CA. I am also in Irvine (UCI), and I'm typing this from my lab desk. Are you also researching at UCI?

Burntfries,

I would just summarize the project, talk about it's impact, and which journal you're submitting it to.

By the way, I noticed that your (burntfries') location is Irvine, CA. I am also in Irvine (UCI), and I'm typing this from my lab desk. Are you also researching at UCI?

Are you sending updates of manuscripts that are in the works? Those that have not even been submitted yet?

yay for UCI research! i agree with kid and thirsty. definitely update any school you can. a manuscript i co-authored (3rd) was recently provisionally accepted and i even updated about this (friends on adcom agree i should update schools even if its "provisional" cause the earlier the update the better.) congrats on the pub! :thumbup:

Burntfries,

yup, i am! currently typing from my desk in NSI. =p

interestingly, i talked to my PI yesterday and she insists on updating the schools herself...all she wants from me is the contact info for each school i want her to notify. is this conventional?? :confused: or would an update from me be better?