Update letters: how do we know they've been added to our files

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mongol1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When we send in update letters and get email confirmations, does that necessarily mean they've been added? I know Penn is the only school that actually lists all your updates so we can be sure what's added and what's not. Since everything is electronic these days and most schools just download what AMCAS has for us, how will they make the update letters available to our reviewers?

I'm a little worried because Baylor sent me an email saying my update was received and added to my file. When I called, the lady said she couldn't find the letter and they usually don't add updates to files unless someone has been interviewed... This makes me think schools' confirmation email doesn't necessary mean they've actually added the letter to our files. Anyone with more experience on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I try to keep close tabs on my top choices and cross my fingers for the rest.

There might be a delay between when your update letter arrives and when it is added to your file, independent of what the email message said (it could be a "prefabricated response" that the admissions office always uses for such events). This happened to me a few times with letters of recommendation; the schools would confirm their receipt, but take a few days to actually add them to my file. Wait about a week and call again, and if they still have not added it to your file, ask if you can send them another copy. I doubt that they will have any issues with that approach.

Other than that, try your best to relax!

Members don't see this ad :)
When we send in update letters and get email confirmations, does that necessarily mean they've been added? I know Penn is the only school that actually lists all your updates so we can be sure what's added and what's not. Since everything is electronic these days and most schools just download what AMCAS has for us, how will they make the update letters available to our reviewers?

I'm a little worried because Baylor sent me an email saying my update was received and added to my file. When I called, the lady said she couldn't find the letter and they usually don't add updates to files unless someone has been interviewed... This makes me think schools' confirmation email doesn't necessary mean they've actually added the letter to our files. Anyone with more experience on this?

Say what? I didn't know schools sent prefab updates. I know I e-mailed a handful of schools my update letter, and some (SLU, Morehouse, VCU, CT, there's more I can't think of off top of my head) e-mailed back a few days later confirming receipt. With some of the e-mails it was pretty clear it was received; i.e. one school said it'd be printed out and scanned in or something like that. The e-mails also did NOT look pre-fab at all (i.e. hand typed)... so, I guess it depends on the school but the schools I tried to send updates to definitely e-mailed back and confirmed receipt. I've never heard of them e-mailing then denying receipt upon calling.

Some schools didn't e-mail back though, so now I'm trying to get ahold of them by calling. I also sent some of them backups by snail mail.

When did you guys send your update letters? I've significantly improved my clinical and volunteer experience, which were fairly weak on my AMCAS, and was thinking of sending a letter to hopefully stimulate some more interviews (i've only had 1 so far). Also, what format did you use? Thanks.