Update Letters to schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerprawn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience / knowledge of how different schools deal with update letters? The reason I ask is because of my summer research position; within the next few months I'll be published at least three times through clinical research but am unpublished at this point.

I'm going in with a 3.4/3.3 BCMP (from northwestern), 32 (9V/10B/13PS), and solid EC's (minus publications.) Would it be worth waiting until I'm in at least 1 journal and then submitting my AMCAS or submit June 5th and send a bunch of update letters to the schools?

Would it make a significant difference based on the school? (ie SIU and UIC vs. Northwestern and Univ. of Chicago, any of which I'd be happy with?)

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on how long it would be before you get your first publication. Don't wait too long to turn in your primary. Update letters are always good and it sounds like you will have good substance for them. You might even indicate in your primary what you are working on this summer (i.e. publications are yet to come) and throw in there that you will be updating them as you go.

Anyone have experience / knowledge of how different schools deal with update letters? The reason I ask is because of my summer research position; within the next few months I'll be published at least three times through clinical research but am unpublished at this point.

I'm going in with a 3.4/3.3 BCMP (from northwestern), 32 (9V/10B/13PS), and solid EC's (minus publications.) Would it be worth waiting until I'm in at least 1 journal and then submitting my AMCAS or submit June 5th and send a bunch of update letters to the schools?

Would it make a significant difference based on the school? (ie SIU and UIC vs. Northwestern and Univ. of Chicago, any of which I'd be happy with?)

You can always apply early, and then mention your recent publications in your secondary applications. Those would be more likely to be read and considered than an update letter.