Update on publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crash88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a few publications (hopefully) will be coming out after my secondaries are submitted (like end of september/october)

Will it be effective to send update letters on these publications? Will schools look at these with equal weight as publications put on a primary or secondary? Will they help in getting interviews?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So a few publications (hopefully) will be coming out after my secondaries are submitted (like end of september/october)

Will it be effective to send update letters on these publications? Will schools look at these with equal weight as publications put on a primary or secondary? Will they help in getting interviews?

Thanks!

these threads are becoming a daily occurence. use the search function.

why would you forgo telling schools of a great asset of yours?
why would a publication in october be weighted less?
It will not hurt. Does it automatically put you in the "stellar app" pile? No, we know better than that.

Does it automatically put you in the "stellar app" pile? No, we know better than that.

I'm going to have to say that if you get a first author nature pub you will be put in the "stellar app" pile (assuming several other caveats of course).

I'm going to have to say that if you get a first author nature pub you will be put in the "stellar app" pile (assuming several other caveats of course).

Any first author paper that is in press and not just submitted or "in preparation" etc. will put you in the cream of the crop; very, very few applicants have publications, let alone first author. But I don't think any would automatically make you have a stellar app, regardless of what journal . I am sure it will draw a second look, though.

More applicants have "in preparation" and submitted manuscripts and other BS. Who knows how adcoms see those.