Update on sheltermed's dog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheltermed

omg idk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I figured I would just make a new thread since there were so many people who knew about Gail.

She was found today after 2 weeks of being missing. It's evident that no one was keeping her, as she's severely emaciated. Someone nearby had her come into their garage and they called me right away. I was 3 hours away at my parent's house, so my landlady took her straight to the e-clinic and I drove back up.

She seems to be mostly okay for now. Quiet but alert. She has some superficial cuts and scrapes as well as dermatitis all over. We are worried about a possible GI obstruction because she had a full stomach on rads - nothing in her small intestine, but firm, black feces in the colon. Her blood work was indicative of vomiting (hypochloremic alkalosis for anyone who cares about specifics).

I have her home now. She was treated with SQ fluids and was given ABs for her lacerations. She'll be on a really small, gradual diet to get her re-accustomed to food. I gave her a bath and now she's trying to relax. I think we will have a long road of recovery ahead, but I'm just glad she's back.

Thanks to everyone who reached out with well wishes!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 57 users
SO SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
YAYYYY SHELTER!!!!! Will continue to send good thoughts your way, but I'm so happy you found her!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
dog feels good man.jpg

This makes me happy. Most would have given up, way to go shelter!

Reactions: 9 users
View attachment 212656

This makes me happy. Most would have given up, way to go shelter!

To be fair, I had basically given up. I reluctantly went down to my parent's house because I thought someone may call, but wasn't hopeful. The call was totally random. Thousands of facebook shares, searches, posters--they were essentially for nothing. She was roaming the whole time and no one had seen her til now.

Reactions: 1 users
THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!!
I hope she makes a full recovery quickly! Please keep us updated when you can. Sending happy thoughts to both of you! :biglove:

Congrats! I'm really glad you found her. :)

My heart sunk when I saw this thread because I thought it would be a sad update, so I'm very glad that you found your pup and have her on the road to recovery.
Well wishes to you both! :biglove:

Reactions: 5 users
I am so so happy that you found her! :) Hoping she has a speedy recovery.

Wow, I am so happy to hear this. You missing her has been on my mind often. I really hope Gail is feeling better soon and back to herself. Sending love and puppy kisses your way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm happy to share a picture -- she's just really skinny and it's sad, so I wasn't sure if it would upset some people -- then again, we're all pre-vets/vets/something related :p

This is the best news!!! I'm so glad she's safe now. And you'll actually be able to sleep now that your pup is home. :D

Yay!!!!! So happy for the good news!

Was worried when I saw the thread up there :/

Best of luck with her recovery and hope you can destress yourself out from the whole thing soon! :love:

Please give us more updates as she gets better. :)

Omg this is awesome. Sorry to hear she's in rough shape but I'm so glad you found her!

Last edited:
Yay! I am so happy you got her back! I wish her a swift and uneventful recovery! Definitely keep us updated!

Glad you at least have her back. Hope her recovery goes smoothly. I must also say it is nice to see all the love that I feel is in part due to the power WW has to bring people together in friendship and rivalry. :biglove:

Reactions: 10 users
Glad you at least have her back. Hope her recovery goes smoothly. I must also say it is nice to see all the love that I feel is in part due to the power WW has to bring people together in friendship and rivalry. :biglove:

SDN-ers are the bestest

SDN-ers are the bestest

It's pretty cool to be a part of something like this! WW definitely helped me gain some confidence posting on here (typically just a reader). So many wonderful people around these parts.

I hope Gail has a quick recovery! So glad you got her back.

Here's a picture. It's really not graphic or gross but may upset people anyway so I put it in the spoiler button thing

73cl8l.jpg

Aww poor little girl! But I'm so glad you found her shelter!!! Wishing her a swift recovery! She must be so happy to see you again!

Reactions: 4 users
And sorry to scare people with the title, now that I think of it I should have made it more positive sounding!

Bless your heart! I was so worried when I read the title but I'm so happy to see she's okay after all that cold. What a beautiful and strong pupper :love:

Yay!!

Reactions: 1 user
And sorry to scare people with the title, now that I think of it I should have made it more positive sounding!
No worries! I don't think your title was really that negative, I think we're all just anxious pessimists who constantly expect the worst lol

Reactions: 7 users
She is sooo very cute!! I'm a softie for a pibble. And how fortunate to be back in your care. <3

No worries! I don't think your title was really that negative, I think we're all just anxious pessimists who constantly expect the worst lol

This is my life lol

I'm soooo happy she's back... she's so cute! I'll be hoping that she gets her health and happiness back as fast as possible! ❤

Oh WOW I'm so happy for you shelter! I know I would have freaked out big time so I'm so happy she's safe again. All the good vibes your way!

Here's a picture. It's really not graphic or gross but may upset people anyway so I put it in the spoiler button thing

73cl8l.jpg
Despite losing weight, Gail looks pretty good for a pup who has been missing for 2 weeks. She's a fine dog! Look at her eyes ... the gaze ... she's finally home with you ... forever. She's a beauty! Welcome home, Gail! :)

Reactions: 10 users
I'm so glad she's home Shelter!

I hope she has a speedy recovering and settles back in quickly

I'm really glad you found her sheltermed!

I'm so glad you found her! Congratulations, and wishes for a speedy recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app