This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UWHA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As representatives of Residents and Fellows at the University of Washington, we wanted to provide some clarification regarding the ongoing negotiation process between Residents and the University. We have received many questions from applicants and created this informational post to let you know about our website (www.uwresidents.com) and Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/uwresidents?fref=ts). These sites contain the answers to most of your inquiries. We are excited to have all of you visit and hope that you decide to become part of our institution.

Members don't see this ad.

As representatives of Residents and Fellows at the University of Washington, we wanted to provide some clarification regarding the ongoing negotiation process between Residents and the University. We have received many questions from applicants and created this informational post to let you know about our website (www.uwresidents.com) and Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/uwresidents?fref=ts). These sites contain the answers to most of your inquiries. We are excited to have all of you visit and hope that you decide to become part of our institution.

The following quotes are from this article: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...l&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_title
The UWHA is one of only two independent unions of residents and fellows in the country, according to the association. The other is at the University of Michigan.
--was not aware of this. I wonder the history behind this unionization. But it is working, they are now at the table negotiating.

The UWHA says it has proposed that residents and fellows earn the same salary as the UW’s lowest-paid physician assistants, be offered need-based stipends for off-site child care and receive free parking.
--this is a great proposal. Should apply to every academic center. It feels quite disrespectful and hurtful when you have many years behind you in residency, particularly our fellows in those 2-3 year fellowship programs. Working along side PAs that departments bring in to plug in staffing shortages and then pay them double our salaries yet their experience is nothing of the fellow.

--child care is a big issue as well. Many residents have children, and its a struggle to make ends meet. I think older attendings do not understand predicament of Millenial residents at all. Our residency salaries are stagnating. Cost of living is much higher. Student loan payments and child-care expenses eat away at most of the budget for those with families. There are more and more physician couples these days, some having children. Employees need to be flexible. From my observation hospitals offer quite poor benefits compared to tech companies that some of my friends work at. Particularly in terms of maternity/paternity leave.

Reactions: 2 users
The following quotes are from this article: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...l&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_title
The UWHA is one of only two independent unions of residents and fellows in the country, according to the association. The other is at the University of Michigan.
--was not aware of this. I wonder the history behind this unionization. But it is working, they are now at the table negotiating.

Children's National also has a resident Union. Not entirely sure of the details of it, but they state that as the reason they have higher salaries than other DC programs.

Nice necrobumps dude. I'm also quite impressed with your ability to be Pre-Health, Pre-Med, a med student, an MD/PhD student, a DO/PhD student, resident, fellow and attending all while working tirelessly to spam our boards.

Reactions: 3 users
You want a PA salary and then need based childcare coverage? You ever done the math on a PA salary?

Reactions: 1 user
I did not mean to spam your board nor did I mean to necrobump this thread. I just want to provide useful information about CIR to those that have questions. Whilst being just a lowly resident, I hope to engage Pre-Health, Pre-Med, Med students, MD/PhDs, DO/PhDs, residents, fellows and attendings in conversation if they choose to respond. My apologies for having upset you that was not my intent.

-Lady Dude
PGY4 Resident

Point is, you need to change your SDN status to accurately reflect where you are in your career (or not). There is an option as well not to pick a status at all should none apply or you wish not to disclose. But it is in the Terms of Service that you cannot misrepresent your status. This is partly to help others weigh your advice (advice on how to be a successful resident is likely going to be weighed by residents seeking help, and taken differently depending on if it's coming from an attending or resident, versus a pre-med student). This helps the board achieve its mission to help students and others in pursuing health careers.

I appreciate that you're here to help residents and provide info to do so, just remember this is an established online community with its own rules and culture.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know why you guys are all harping on CIR. I had CIR where I did my internship and I can tell you I was definitely treated better there than at my categorical program.

It's the little things that helps, like free meals, like a generous book stipend, etc, where CIR helped us to get.

I believe my current state does not allow resident union...

I don't know why you guys are all harping on CIR. I had CIR where I did my internship and I can tell you I was definitely treated better there than at my categorical program.

It's the little things that helps, like free meals, like a generous book stipend, etc, where CIR helped us to get.

I believe my current state does not allow resident union...

I get those things without being in a union.

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats, we don't in where I am at now. When I am out interviewing for fellowships, most places don't. Enjoy jt while it last.

I sometimes wonder about stuff like this only because when I was a PG4, the GME office decided that the university's system for compensation for book funds, travel, food reimbursement, parking stipends, etc was too cumbersome and buggy, and because residents were sometimes leaving money on the table*, they instead just took all extra compensation $ and added it to everyone's salary for the next year as a huge raise.

I fully expect to hear people complaining in the next couple years that "Program at WingedOx U Hospital doesn't even have a book fund!"

*all of this was true, the book fund system was a mess.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder about stuff like this only because when I was a PG4, the GME office decided that the university's system for compensation for book funds, travel, food reimbursement, parking stipends, etc was too cumbersome and buggy, and because residents were sometimes leaving money on the table, they instead just took all extra compensation $ and added it to everyone's salary for the next year as a huge raise.

I fully expect to hear people complaining in the next couple years that "Program at WingedOx U Hospital doesn't even have a book fund!"

Our Program Coordinator gets around the loss of the book fund money at the end of the year by using any unused funds in June to buy a bunch of books that eventually get distributed to the residents anyway. I'm also pretty sure she tells us we have less available to us in order to buy everyone in the program board review books during their second and third years as well.

But yes, it is whole package that people have to look at. I happen to be in a super supportive department that gives us a bunch of benefits over the other programs in our institution.

I sometimes wonder about stuff like this only because when I was a PG4, the GME office decided that the university's system for compensation for book funds, travel, food reimbursement, parking stipends, etc was too cumbersome and buggy, and because residents were sometimes leaving money on the table*, they instead just took all extra compensation $ and added it to everyone's salary for the next year as a huge raise.

*all of this was true, the book fund system was a mess.
The food question is huge though.

Where I did residency, we had hot meals M-F for B/L and if we were on call a stipend for dinner. On weekends, stipend for everyone. Probably saved hundreds every month, probably well over $5k over the 3 years.

Where I'm doing fellowship? We get no food. Period. (Except the two interview days and the holiday party). I might be making slightly more now, but I'm sure getting less in benefits.

The food question is huge though.

Where I did residency, we had hot meals M-F for B/L and if we were on call a stipend for dinner. On weekends, stipend for everyone. Probably saved hundreds every month, probably well over $5k over the 3 years.

Where I'm doing fellowship? We get no food. Period. (Except the two interview days and the holiday party). I might be making slightly more now, but I'm sure getting less in benefits.

We only got food for call... originally it was handed out with a series of $1 coupons which could be spent as cash, and of course the coupons were paper and larger than a typical bill, so they didn't fit on your wallet.

I did two med school rotations at Reading, PA, though. All you can eat unlimited food in the cafeteria, which was quite good. That combined with the fact that residents could stay in the dorm on site for ~80 bucks a month, you could see why their TY program was one of the most competitive in the country despite their so-so location.