** UPDATE Success Story (2022-2023 Cycle) TEXAS RESIDENT Reapplicant 4 Years Later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sic'emBears

D1
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date of submission: August 2022
GPA: Included Below from TMDSAS
Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 8.49.19 PM.png

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
21 AA, 23 PAT, 18 QR, 26 RC, 23 BIO,18 GC, 21 OC, 20 TS
State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended:
Baylor
Major: Biology
Minor: Business Administration
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? yes

Shadowing Experience:
100+ hours (general)
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours (community outreach)
Employment: Held multiple jobs in undergrad and worked full time as an account manager at a tech firm for 2 years after graduation
Research: Summer Research in Cell & Developmental Bio during Senior Year and Research project in My Med Sci program
Other Extracurriculars: ASDA member all four years in undergrad. Went on a medical mission trip in 2017 to Panama for a week. Neuroanatomy Teaching Assistant in my masters program
Relevant Honors or Awards:
LOR type and strength:
2 science profs (both strong Dean and Department Chair), 1 dentist (strong),
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Currently in a Medical Science masters program at Mississippi College and my current GPA there is a 4.0 But I've only had 14 hours here and currently taking Gross (8 hours).

DISCLAIMER: My Undergrad GPA was awful and I'm honestly not sure how I got through undergrad but I got my life back on track, retook Ochem and started my masters with a 4.0 thus far. I retook the DAT in August, got a competitive score and am taking all the hardest med level classes here while shadowing on the side, working as a neuro TA and volunteering when I have time.

I applied for all Texas plus a few OOS that offer in state after a year but I've been told that schools won't consider my grad GPA until I have at least 2 full semesters of grades but I'd like to hear any feedback you all might have. Be brutally honest. Please let me know what other informationI can provide.

School list:

UTSD Houston
Texas A&M
UT San Antonio
Texas Tech El Paso
Maryland
UNLV
Buffalo
Tufts

Members don't see this ad.

View attachment 360343
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA, 23 PAT, 18 QR, 26 RC, 23 BIO,18 GC, 21 OC, 20 TS

Undergrad Attended:
Baylor
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? yes

Shadowing Experience:
100+ hours (general)
Employment: Held multiple jobs in undergrad and worked full time as an account manager at a tech firm for 2 years after graduation
Research: Summer Research in Cell & Developmental Bio during Senior Year and Research project in My Med Sci program
Other Extracurriculars: ASDA member all four years in undergrad. Went on a medical mission trip in 2017 to Panama for a week. Neuroanatomy Teaching Assistant in my masters program
LOR type and strength:
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Currently in a Medical Science masters program at Mississippi College and my current GPA there is a 4.0 But I've only had 14 hours here and currently taking Gross (8 hours).

DISCLAIMER: My Undergrad GPA was awful and I'm honestly not sure how I got through undergrad but I got my life back on track, retook Ochem and started my masters with a 4.0 thus far. I retook the DAT in August, got a competitive score and am taking all the hardest med level classes here while shadowing on the side, working as a neuro TA and volunteering when I have time.

I applied for all Texas plus a few OOS that offer in state after a year but I've been told that schools won't consider my grad GPA until I have at least 2 full semesters of grades but I'd like to hear any feedback you all might have. Be brutally honest. Please let me know what other informationI can provide.

School list:
UTSD Houston
Texas A&M
UT San Antonio
Texas Tech El Paso
Maryland
UNLV
Buffalo
Tufts
I'm guessing by the lack of responses that this is a bad thing:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily, people are busy. Focus on your masters and do as good as you can and be sure to update schools when the second academic update opens. Your DAT should be fine for IS Texas applicants
Thank you! Trying to keep the faith and keep pushing!

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 360343
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA, 23 PAT, 18 QR, 26 RC, 23 BIO,18 GC, 21 OC, 20 TS

Undergrad Attended:
Baylor
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? yes

Shadowing Experience:
100+ hours (general)
LOR type and strength:
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Currently in a Medical Science masters program at Mississippi College and my current GPA there is a 4.0 But I've only had 14 hours here and currently taking Gross (8 hours).

School list:
UTSD Houston
Texas A&M
UT San Antonio
Texas Tech El Paso
Maryland
UNLV
Buffalo
Tufts
You need to add 15 more schools and include tons of more private school.
Best of luck!

Honestly Bufflo might reject you! They are a snob for no reason, since they are out of nowhere.
So if you don't wanna spend too much, take them out.

add Touro and NYU instead
Maryland and Rutgers are also snob, take them out (( I know you didn't put rutgers)

UCSF and UCLA will not look ur way ( so don't bother)
U should add boston, nova, USC
add temple too, add the two arizona private schools.

hopefully you get in Texas so you don't have to pay too much for private dental schools, but you have to apply to them anyway.. gotta cast the net wide...
it's not too late to add more schools by the way!

Last edited:
Got one acceptance and 2 interviews in total thus far! Hoping for an in-state interview in the next few weeks!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted into my dream school in-state!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I'm glad to see that our silence was appropriately brutal and honest. :) Seriously, I wanted to see how your in-state went, and glad to see it worked out!
Worth the wait for sure! Hopefully this inspires someone who was in my shoes to not give up

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats from a Baylor alum! Best wishes as you start your new journey. Kudos on the perseverance and drive. :)

As always, study hard but also remember to take care of yourself. Don't go through dental school alone.

A bit late on this thread but congrats on your acceptances! Any advice for the MC SMP? Starting in August, heard from other alum that the Gross (8hr) is brutal

A bit late on this thread but congrats on your acceptances! Any advice for the MC SMP? Starting in August, heard from other alum that the Gross (8hr) is brutal
PM me! Happy to help in any way I can.