UPDATE: was almost fired at wags, got a new job, now new problems arising?! the saga continues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is an update to what has been happening to me. i graduated in 2018, worked at wags for a year, almost got fired, but quit before it happened. made a lot of posts on this, you can check my history. it was certainly an interesting period of my life. rxm and store manager had unrealistic expectations and flagged me as a "problem" after 2 months. then it just eventually blew up as they kept writing me up for every little thing. actually working at wags wasn't that miserable because i was a floater and most of the time never had to interact with my rxm or store manager. the times when it was miserable was when i had to see my rxm, store manager, or DM cause they all collectively didn't care about me and just wanted the complaints to stop

i was close to being fired, so i found a new job and quit. i've been at my new job for 4 months now. it's really a great job and i'm grateful to be here. i try to be helpful when i can. i don't have many job responsibilities, so i don't do much, and it's hard for me to "mess up" so to speak. despite this, i just had a short little talk with my manager who raised 1 instance of what i did and 1 complaint about me sounding too bland and dry at times. of course i did receive some good feedback along the way so not all negative, these are just two "pointers" i was made aware of privately, first time this has happened to me since i started

so yeah, 4 months in and that was my first talk with a manager, at walgreens it was 3 months before i was brought in to meet with my DM and RXM. this was an unofficial talk though and my hiring manager wasn't involved. i'm curious to see how this will play out from here. of course my consults, knowledge, and ability to achieve good results when i consult my patients is great. which is how it was at wags, i had rock solid work flow. it's just the interpersonal stuff that consistently burns me. there's one supervisor that has a stick up his ass at times and finds issues here and there. it's kind of annoying. then there is the variance that comes with dealing with customers. you get one complaint and then you get grilled on it. eventually all those little complaints add up and boom, fired. and of course all the good interactions that you contribute to get overlooked. very frustrating

i'm just addressing this now since it could be the first instance is an extremely long chain of events of shet, basically what happened at wags. started off as something so simple then exploded and got dragged out until it was un repair-able and i got fired

does anyone have advice or tips for me? obv i'm going to take the feedback i got from this little talk and implement it, but this supervisor guy is super annoying and always finding something to complain about that i am doing so it'll be tough

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
this is an update to what has been happening to me. i graduated in 2018, worked at wags for a year, almost got fired, but quit before it happened. made a lot of posts on this, you can check my history. it was certainly an interesting period of my life. rxm and store manager had unrealistic expectations and flagged me as a "problem" after 2 months. then it just eventually blew up as they kept writing me up for every little thing. actually working at wags wasn't that miserable because i was a floater and most of the time never had to interact with my rxm or store manager. the times when it was miserable was when i had to see my rxm, store manager, or DM cause they all collectively didn't care about me and just wanted the complaints to stop

i was close to being fired, so i found a new job and quit. i've been at my new job for 4 months now. it's really a great job and i'm grateful to be here. i try to be helpful when i can. i don't have many job responsibilities, so i don't do much, and it's hard for me to "mess up" so to speak. despite this, i just had a short little talk with my manager who raised 1 instance of what i did and 1 complaint about me sounding too bland and dry at times. of course i did receive some good feedback along the way so not all negative, these are just two "pointers" i was made aware of privately, first time this has happened to me since i started

so yeah, 4 months in and that was my first talk with a manager, at walgreens it was 3 months before i was brought in to meet with my DM and RXM. this was an unofficial talk though and my hiring manager wasn't involved. i'm curious to see how this will play out from here. of course my consults, knowledge, and ability to achieve good results when i consult my patients is great. which is how it was at wags, i had rock solid work flow. it's just the interpersonal stuff that consistently burns me. there's one supervisor that has a stick up his ass at times and finds issues here and there. it's kind of annoying. then there is the variance that comes with dealing with customers. you get one complaint and then you get grilled on it. eventually all those little complaints add up and boom, fired. and of course all the good interactions that you contribute to get overlooked. very frustrating

i'm just addressing this now since it could be the first instance is an extremely long chain of events of shet, basically what happened at wags. started off as something so simple then exploded and got dragged out until it was un repair-able and i got fired

does anyone have advice or tips for me? obv i'm going to take the feedback i got from this little talk and implement it, but this supervisor guy is super annoying and always finding something to complain about that i am doing so it'll be tough
Get out of the field.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
yeah, having a corporate job in general can be crappy. that's why i'm trying to propel the company that i have. i would rather get a PRN job and work 15-20 hours a week for some easy cash and spend the majority of my time doing my company

working a normal job and dealing with job politics, job drama is soooooo lame....

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe get yourself this for Christmas.

Attachments

• dysfunctiondemotivator.jpeg
    dysfunctiondemotivator.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: 2 users
In both instances, you seem to blame it all on your supervisors. At wags, the PIC, DM and SM were all "crazy" and had it out for you, and now you talk about your new supervisor being "annoying" and "having a stick up their ass."

Clearly, you need to work on your interpersonal skills. Multiple supervisors at multiple jobs have raised the same issue with you, yet you seem to brush it off as them having the problem. That's your problem...and as long as you refuse to acknowledge it you are going to have a hard time holding a job.

There is nothing more annoying than an arrogant employee that refuses to accept constructive feedback and admit any fault. Your prior posts on SDN seem to demonstrate a pretty cocky attitude that can be off putting to both customers and coworkers.

You sound like a smart guy that is capable of doing the job well. Just take the criticism, actually self reflect and consider the supervisor's point of view, and get your head out of your butt. Retail isn't just about work flow efficiency, but about good general customer service and learning how to get along with coworkers and their varying personalities the best you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Hmm I'm seeing a trend.

Listen to your superiors and you'll be fine.

There are different types of arrogance, those that know they are arrogant and those that don't. Don't be the latter.

Last edited:
In both instances, you seem to blame it all on your supervisors. At wags, the PIC, DM and SM were all "crazy" and had it out for you, and now you talk about your new supervisor being "annoying" and "having a stick up their ass."

Clearly, you need to work on your interpersonal skills. Multiple supervisors at multiple jobs have raised the same issue with you, and you seem to brush it off as them having the problem. That's your problem...and as long as you refuse to acknowledge it you are going to have a hard time holding a job.

There is nothing more annoying than an arrogant employee that refuses to accept constructive feedback and admit any fault. Your prior posts on SDN seem to demonstrate a pretty cocky attitude that can be off putting to both customers and coworkers.

You sound like a smart guy that is capable of doing the job well. Just take the criticism, actually self reflect and consider the supervisor's point of view, and get your head out of your butt. Retail isn't just about work flow efficiency, but about good general customer service and learning how to get along with coworkers and their varying personalities the best you can.

This is a tough pill to swallow - but I think it would be wise to heed this advice.

Amphetamine Salts
Sounds like you’re nice to your customers when you feel like it. Aren’t you at a dispensary? Essentially a start up company? Just man up and realize it’s your job to make others happy. That includes your customers, bosses and anyone else you deal with. It’s not about you. You’re paid to be there and replaceable. Man up and work on yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Amphetamine Salts
Sounds like you’re nice to your customers when you feel like it. Aren’t you at a dispensary? Essentially a start up company? Just man up and realize it’s your job to make others happy. That includes your customers, bosses and anyone else you deal with. It’s not about you. You’re paid to be there and replaceable. Man up and work on yourself.

Yea... Is your job performance, and interpersonal skills, suffering because your smoking pot?

I remember when I smoked pot I could not have a coherent conversation no matter how hard I tried.

• Sad
Yeah the trick to dealing with public, IMO, is having no pride. Or to put it more nicely, being humble. If you can wrap your head around the idea that it is your job to make everyone happy to the best of your ability, it can be fun. If you start to focus on how people "should" treat you, the experience goes down hill very quickly.

Basically, you need to drink the koolaid. If you make someone happy, you won. If they leave unhappy, you failed.

Again this is a broad statement, but people in general are good at reading intentions/energy/whatever. If you come from a place of trying to help people and you show them that, you will mostly be golden. If they sense otherwise, they will turn on you. My impression of you is that you consider "not making someone mad" to be winning. It's also possible you think if someone is being unreasonable that's not your problem (that's a stretch but you may be the type - lots of people are). You need to aim a little higher IMO if you want to succeed with working with the public.

Reactions: 8 users
The quicker you take responsibility for everything that happens in your life, the better you'll be able to handle the things thrown your way. Right now you are blaming everyone except yourself.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In general, there are workers ( not only pharmacists ) who do not realize that THEY are the source of the problems.

cheezburger-image-6474992896.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Remember this is the same person:

inb4 deflection or "what '******' checks people's Reddit post history" lol

Remember 80/20! Your professional relationships/ your pharmacy knowledge kills and abilities.

Right now your priorities are mismatched and need readjusting. Invest the majority of your effort/energy on what makes a huge professional return.

I had a feeling this was coming since your last thread telling us how you barely work and chill on your chromebook most of the time.
You graduated last year and was almost fired within a year at WAG. Now, you're already getting complaints within 4 months of working at this "chill" dispensary.
I see that you keep placing the blame on your supervisors and say that they're annoying but I just picture you as being lazy AF from all the evidence you provided. Take whatever advice your supervisors are giving you and step your game up because it'll be a very bumpy ride in the future if you get let go from this job. Employers will see red flags in your work hx of just working at places for short periods of time.

Last edited:
OP anytime you need to have a "talk" with a supervisor, that's bad news. Supervisors have much more important things to worry about than to keep their employees in check. The fact that this happened to you at two separate jobs, both within 4 months is very alarming. There are many lifers (people who stay at the same company for their whole life - 30, 40, 50 years of working) who have never had the "talk" before so let that sink in.

Ok so I suspected this with your last thread and this one only confirms it: OP, you are the problem here. You need to work on yourself before your employment history becomes a revolving door of employment.

A lot of good points already made. You don't come off as a sympathetic figure here. If your supervisor perceives you the same way you are perceived here, you are in trouble again. It seems you got off too easy last time and it didn't each you anything. If it is a slower chill environment, then everything is amplified. You are no longer filling 500 scripts per shift and have no time to use a restroom. Use your available time on customer service.

I think this thread may want to be closed.

I think you underestimate @owlegrad 's popcorn reserves. I don't think the dramatic possibilities are exhausted yet, and it has not veered too out there yet.

I like a good argument but every single person is jumping on OP.

Question is will OP listen or continue to think they are not doing anything wrong after every single person said it's you not them.

Question is will OP listen or continue to think they are not doing anything wrong after every single person said it's you not them.

He's asking to be roasted lol....
I can tell his work habits of being lazy has a lot to do with all these complaints and his potential to get fired over and over until he realizes it.

it depends, i've failed a good amount of exams, got two D+'s and a lot of C's throughout pharmacy school but i still graduated, passed my boards, and now a licensed rph so.... yeah. i was the kid in the back of the lecture hall goofing around my buddies during therapeutics and taking naps, now i'm called doctor, cool stuff

I see the common denominator here. Too bad you don't, OP.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, explain why you were flagged as a problem. Ive worked for chain pharmacies so i can sympathize on how DMs actually dont give a crap as long as your numbers are good but at the same time, theyre not gonna just flag you for no reason either.

And that's the part when you realize that you shouldn't worry about bad employees, they'll take care of themselves. *Munches popcorn*.

And like others, getting fired from Walgreens doesn't necessarily mean to me that you're a bad pharmacist, you just might not fit in. But getting in trouble at a MJ dispensary where people should not be as uptight (possibly due to the merchandise) in a setting where there's no reason to be a jerk or to be lazy at work means something else. From an academic standpoint, this was a failure of experiential education not to fail him on behavioral grounds, that's the erosion of standards for you. Thank God I won't have to even see much less spend the effort to vet this application for the federal service, his won't even pass SIC/FIPC cursory review at this point.

• Sad
He's asking to be roasted lol....
I can tell his work habits of being lazy has a lot to do with all these complaints and his potential to get fired over and over until he realizes it.

Quiet honestly I don’t think OP came here to find self affirmation. I believe he is responsible enough to know he has a role in this “trend”.
unfortunately most respondents seem to point out the obvious but fail to provide concrete, real life help on how can better himself with regard to his deficit.

If you can’t extend a helping hand to someone struggling but instead get a kick out of kicking someone while they are down so be it...

Quiet honestly I don’t think OP came here to find self affirmation. I believe he is responsible enough to know he has a role in this “trend”.
unfortunately most respondents seem to point out the obvious but fail to provide concrete, real life help on how can better himself with regard to his deficit.

If you can’t extend a helping hand to someone struggling but instead get a kick out of kicking someone while they are down so be it...

Listen to your superiors isn't advice?

I am going to provide some concrete, real life help, here.

I say this, to the op, with great concern and genuine care:

You need to get sober bro.

I am beginning to think that OP might be a troll. In the other thread about job at dispensary, he kept repeating in every other sentence on how chilled his job is and how he doesn’t have to do anything.

I mean honestly who would write stuff like that?

I am beginning to think that OP might be a troll. In the other thread about job at dispensary, he kept repeating in every other sentence on how chilled his job is and how he doesn’t have to do anything.

I mean honestly who would write stuff like that?

This happens when you loose inhibitions and your frontal lobe is not functioning correctly.

Reactions: 3 users

And if you checked the other thread, many of us did the last time. This time is different. Many of us who weighed in the last time now understand what or rather who the problem is which is why those comments exist including mine.

The problem is that there is absolutely no self-reflection in his post. He is asking for advice only to appease a manager that he doesn't even respect. He continuously state that the manager is annoying and finding things to complain about. There's this delusion that upper management, in both jobs, are out to get him purely to be vindictive or nit picky. Any advice given would be useless because he'll brush it off as unhelpful. He doesn't think he has done anything wrong.

People gave him advice on his last thread. Clearly he has not heeded any of it and is, therefore, in the same predicament.

I'm one of the ones who really like OP's post about his new job at the dispensary. Wouldn't even know such jobs exist without his post.

Not to defend the OP but I doubt he is the only one who is chilling out at his place. He probably attracts attention because he is a high-paid employee who is also using work time to work on his own business.

Businesses may be different but a boss is a boss after all.

Tells us the details about the 'instance' and the 'complaint'.
Then people might actually give you some good advice instead of scolding.

OK OP, here is the thing, it doesn't matter if you are 100% right and your supervisor is 100% wrong. They are paying you. So whatever they want you to do (aside from illegal, unethical, dangerous stuff.) you should do. Like when your past supervisor wanted you to grovel and apologize for being racist, just do it. Just pretend that you are an actor, your acting job is to do whatever your sup wants you to do, and act however they want you to act, regardless of your personality and thoughts on the matter.

What you should do now with your current job. Ask to talk to your supervisor again, tell him/her you realize they are 100% right and you want to change and improve. Ask for specific examples of your wrong attitude/behavior. Ask them how they would like you to handle those situations in the future. Then do it. Practice at home or practice with a friend if you need to.

Any job dealing with the public requires a good amount of acting. You have to act upbeat and happy regardless of how you actually feel. You have to act like you care about the customer, even when they are being ridiculous. If you can't learn a basic level of acting, you are not going to be successful.

Any time you start to think "this is stupid" or "I shouldn't have to do this", remember you are an actor and being paid to act whatever part your supervisor wants you to.

Reactions: 17 users
can't act happy if I can't feel my face. But I can act busy. Keep me out of troubles from time to time (pharmacy equivalent of an academy award?)

OK OP, here is the thing, it doesn't matter if you are 100% right and your supervisor is 100% wrong. They are paying you. So whatever they want you to do (aside from illegal, unethical, dangerous stuff.) you should do. Like when your past supervisor wanted you to grovel and apologize for being racist, just do it. Just pretend that you are an actor, your acting job is to do whatever your sup wants you to do, and act however they want you to act, regardless of your personality and thoughts on the matter.

What you should do now with your current job. Ask to talk to your supervisor again, tell him/her you realize they are 100% right and you want to change and improve. Ask for specific examples of your wrong attitude/behavior. Ask them how they would like you to handle those situations in the future. Then do it. Practice at home or practice with a friend if you need to.

Any job dealing with the public requires a good amount of acting. You have to act upbeat and happy regardless of how you actually feel. You have to act like you care about the customer, even when they are being ridiculous. If you can't learn a basic level of acting, you are not going to be successful.

Any time you start to think "this is stupid" or "I shouldn't have to do this", remember you are an actor and being paid to act whatever part your supervisor wants you to.

The annoying people at work who kiss ass, brown nose, and act fake nice are the ones who get ahead in life.

The annoying people at work who kiss ass, brown nose, and act fake nice are the ones who get ahead in life.
How wrong I was when I used to think being a pharmacist will prevent me from doing all that.

Most of the public are kind and understanding.I don't remember those because they are so common.It is the uncommon SOB that you remember.

Yup - I have sharpened my ass kissing skills to a razor sharp edge.

• Haha

agree with everything except for if the patient is clearly in the wrong and expect an apology... I hope to god the manager has some back bone to back you up

agree with everything except for if the patient is clearly in the wrong and expect an apology... I hope to god the manager has some back bone to back you up

Problem is nowadays if someone has the backbone to do what is right and not what the overlords want, he/she won't make it to manager. When I did my rotation as a student, there was a straight-up pharmacy director who defended his staff. So "they" f him up bad and he got demoted to a staff.

At my place I cannot be demoted any further unless the bosses want to make me a tech or give me a permanent vacation. So whenever someone calls and wants to speak to a manager, I just tell them "I am not the manager but I am the one who will work with you to solve any problems you may have so do you want to speak to me?"

Problem is nowadays if someone has the backbone to do what is right and not what the overlords want, he/she won't make it to manager. When I did my rotation as a student, there was a straight-up pharmacy director who defended his staff. So "they" f him up bad and he got demoted to a staff.

At my place I cannot be demoted any further unless the bosses want to make me a tech or give me a permanent vacation. So whenever someone calls and wants to speak to a manager, I just tell them "I am not the manager but I am the one who will work with you to solve any problems you may have so do you want to speak to me?"

Why did the staff "f him up bad" and get him demoted if this director defended his staff? I'm confused

Why did the staff "f him up bad" and get him demoted if this director defended his staff? I'm confused
"They" = hospital management. Whenever "they" was used at that hospital, it refered to the power above. "They" replaced him with a new guy who would kiss up until their rears were shiny.

This type of office politics is not unique to pharmacy. No job is secure.No job is forever.

This type of office politics is not unique to pharmacy. No job is secure.No job is forever.

It’s relatively prevalent and effective in pharmacy since it’s harder to differentiate yourself using only hard skills, i.e. clinical knowledge.