Updated DAT Scores.. Chance me? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktbb

oGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.64
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just finished my DAT a few hours ago and would like some help on my school list. I know it's a little short compared to others, but I'm having trouble scrounging up the pennies to apply for more schools.

Washington Resident
sGPA: 3.65
cGPA: 3.71

Extra details:
Church choir
1000+ hours dental related volunteer/shadow
Great LORs: Bio, Ochem, GChem and Dentist

DAT Attempt #1:
PAT: 19
QR: 17
RC: 20
BIO: 19
GC: 19
OC: 21
TS: 19
AA: 19

DAT Attempt #2:
PAT: 19
QR: 16 (eeeekkkk...)
RC: 22
BIO: 20
GC: 19
OC: 22
TS: 20
AA: 20

School List: no particular order
1. UW, top priority of course

2. Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona

3. (USC)

4. Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (WESTU)

5. Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU)

6. Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)

7. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)

8. University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine (UNLV)
9. Buffalo
10. Case Western
11. Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I won't try to "chance" you since it'd be a total guess on my part. I can say that your DAT and GPAs are in the right range for serious consideration at some schools.

That said, if I was you, I would consider dropping a couple of the more expensive privates schools on your list and applying to one or two public schools that grant in-state tuition after the first year. UConn and OSU are two often cited examples, but I know there are others. They might be a little bit more of a reach than the privates, but the potential financial savings your would reap from attending one of these schools (if you don't get into UW) would be worth the application fees. You'll still have some privates left on your list, but the overall net you cast would be more balanced, I think.

Good luck this cycle!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I am with CraigHack. Remove private schools and add OOS friendly pub schools, where you can switch to instate after a year or two.

Get rid of USC. Their OOS acceptance rate is pretty low and their tuition + living costs are over $400k. Maybe try Ohio State, Creighton or Marquette.

try baylor san antonio and houston dental school in texas

Thanks everyone! @catman856 I thought Texas schools were OOS unfriendly?

Thanks everyone! @catman856 I thought Texas schools were OOS unfriendly?
Yeah, don't bother on applying to Texas schools, especially if you're short on cash. Saying they're "unfriendly" towards OOS applicants isn't too accurate...maybe OOS hostile or OOS hateful would work.

I was under the impression that Ohio State was not OOS friendly, however I agree with what everyone else was saying. Maybe look into CU since you live on the west coast!

@pinkster OSU is not OOS friendly, but it is definitely worth the try, specially due to low COA after 1 year (if you decide to change the residency to Ohio).

Uh, USC is a private school and fairly OOS friendly, from what I understand.