Updated List - Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 33Q (PS 11 VR 11 BS 11) cGPA 3.84 sGPA 3.62

Undergrad: Northwestern Resident: IL Major: Psychology

Two things:

1. Should I keep Mayo? I really like everything about the school, but it seems to be a huge reach and maybe it's not worth it. I've been thinking of replacing it with UMiami or USC (also probably a huge reach). Any thoughts?

2. One of my biggest concerns is cost. I've heard from a couple people that it's actually possible for OOS applicants to get interviews at some of the TX schools. I had figured I had no shot at any of the TX schools, but I'm wondering what you guys think?

Any other general comments would be great. Thanks!

Here's a link to my profile from another post:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=706418

University of Chicago
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Emory
Mayo
Rochester
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Boston University
St. Louis University
Penn State
Wisconsin
Jefferson
UIC
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

You look top heavy to me. I wouldn't add USC. I was rejected by Mayo, Vandy, and Wake Forest (a bit puzzled with WF) with similar numerical stats, but I don't have any research (not sure about you). You could keep Mayo as a reach, but it seems unlikely. How about SIU, Iowa, Creighton, Loma Linda, Albany, SUNY, Tulane?

Regarding Texas, it is possible to get interviews, but it would be difficult. Baylor has the lowest resident quota, but your numerical stats are essentially at the mean or slightly below those of matriculants. UT Southwestern is essentially the same as Baylor in terms of matriculant stats, but they have a higher resident quota. Texas Tech and A&M have lower matriculant stats, but also have the high resident quota. So, you'd be filling out an entirely different application (exception-Baylor on AMCAS), for relatively limited returns---but the tuition throughout the state is a value difficult to pass up---so I certainly understand the draw.

go buy an MSAR book. It will list all the medical schools and compare your stats to their averages of their matriculants to get a good idea of your competitiveness. after you've compiled a new list of schools, we'll be happy to give you some help. there are a lot of good schools out there that you haven't listed and would definitely be in line with your stats.