Updated Scramble List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheed36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i was wondering if someone can post the UPDATED scramble list for 2008. i would appreciate it very much.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I don't think it would do you much good. The scramble list only has some merit if it's compared to previous years' lists, many have found. Then, perhaps, a pattern can be discerned, and a candidate might be able to seek out a position before the list is even published, to get an "edge". The scramble is such a volatile situation, and even once all contracts are signed, the next wave will come in late June, when some folks renege on their signed contract, much to the consternation of programs. So much of this process is hit and miss, and being in the right place at the right time.

The best way seems to be in direct contact with the programs themselves.

Good luck,

Nu

Can anyone tell me the difference between Post Match Scramble program and PGYS? Does it apply same to IMGs? :confused:
I need a detail explanation, but easy to understand.
Thank you.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Post Match Scramble program and PGYS? Does it apply same to IMGs? :confused:
I need a detail explanation, but easy to understand.
Thank you.

PGY = Post Graduate Year. It refers to the year in training you are, ie., if you are in your 3rd year of residency, you are a PGY-3.

The Scramble is a short period of time following the regular match in which participating individuals are supplied a list of programs with open positions in an attempt to obtain one of those spots. You can read more about it at: http://www.nrmp.org

PGY = Post Graduate Year. It refers to the year in training you are, ie., if you are in your 3rd year of residency, you are a PGY-3.

The Scramble is a short period of time following the regular match in which participating individuals are supplied a list of programs with open positions in an attempt to obtain one of those spots. You can read more about it at: http://www.nrmp.org

1. When you say, 'The Scramble is a short period of time following the
regular match in which participating individuals are supplied a list of
programs with open positions in an attempt to obtain one of those spots.'
is it some kind of period after you match the Residency?

2. What do you do during that Scramble Period?

3. Is going through that Scramble period mandatory?
or is it optional?

4. Then let's say, if IMGs trying to apply for Residency and couldn't find any
spots available for them and still looking for Residency Matching Spots,
what do you call that period of time?
(It's before they're matched to Residency.)

5. Can anyone tell me if you know any of Residency Matching Spots available
at any hospitals in U.S. specifically near N.Y. area, can you list them for
me?

Still don't understand about this 'Scramble' thing clearly... :confused:

1. When you say, 'The Scramble is a short period of time following the
regular match in which participating individuals are supplied a list of
programs with open positions in an attempt to obtain one of those spots.'
is it some kind of period after you match the Residency?

Did you read the link I provided above? From the NRMP:
http://www.nrmp.org//res_match/special_part/ind_app/match_results.html

"Beginning at noon eastern time on Tuesday of Match Week, a brief period of time is set aside for those applicants who did not match to give them an opportunity to contact unfilled programs and possibly secure a position before Match Day. This time period is commonly known as the "Scramble."

Thus, the scramble is not for those who have matched, but rather for those who did not get a position. The scramble lasts two days, from Tuesday to Thursday of Match Week.

2. What do you do during that Scramble Period?

You contact programs with open positions in hopes of obtaining one of them for your training.

3. Is going through that Scramble period mandatory?
or is it optional?

Optional. But for those who do not match, it is probably the best way to get a position.

4. Then let's say, if IMGs trying to apply for Residency and couldn't find any spots available for them and still looking for Residency Matching Spots, what do you call that period of time?
(It's before they're matched to Residency.)

Depends. If it is in the two days after the match is over, then that period is called the scramble. After that, there is no official name for it. Bear in mind "matching" implies that you used the NRMP or other match service to obtain a position. Simply getting a position, whether in the scramble or outside of the match, does not mean you have "matched".

5. Can anyone tell me if you know any of Residency Matching Spots available at any hospitals in U.S. specifically near N.Y. area, can you list them for me?

That is a tall order because most of us would only know about open positions at our own hospitals. There are no more "matching" spots because the match is over. There may be some open positions to start July 1, 2008 available "outside of the match". You should contact programs, in the specialty and area you are interested in and see if they have any open positions.

If you are still confused, I would recommend reading some of the threads here and on nrmp.org because these are very common questions.

Depends. If it is in the two days after the match is over, then that period is called the scramble. After that, there is no official name for it. Bear in mind "matching" implies that you used the NRMP or other match service to obtain a position. Simply getting a position, whether in the scramble or outside of the match, does not mean you have "matched".

I wish someone would explain that to my classmates/other people I know.
"Where did you match?"
"I didn't" (last year)
"Well, you aren't not working for a year are you?"
"No, I got a job"
"Well then you matched!"

Think of it like the draft. If you get picked up off the practice squad, you were not drafted. You might be in the NFL like all the other guys, but you still weren't drafted.